Home from Helping a Friend

Bunbury, Australia
We've been supporting a friend who is walking the Bibbulman Track in south-west Western Australia. We have been following her in our bus/motor-home, picking her up each afternoon, sometimes at midday as well, and supplying a comfortable bed and a hot meal. This saves her carrying a backpack which is nearly as big as she is. We left home on a Tuesday morning and after a couple of hours driving we stopped at a town which we know sells fuel (gas) as cheap as anywhere else. Lynn and I went off to the public toilets while Vince parked the bus. There was a backpacker leaning against the wall of the ablutions block and eating mandarins. We went back to the bus and passed Vince on his way to the toilets. Lynn and I agreed that Vince would return with the backpacker and sure enough, he came back to the bus to say that he'd promised Maxim, a French lad, a lift to the turn-off to Pemberton. We had a coffee first and exchanged pleasantries then off we went, dropping Maxim where he needed to be. I wonder if we'll ever see him again? He was a bit of a hunk. The photo shows some of the big timber that we travelled through.
@vandana7 (58755)
You changed your profile picture and I lost you...you are the Australian with that great one room tree..:) Well, that is very sweet of you to do...you want me to do whoopi goldberg role? Well you might see him after about 10 years.
I'm pleased you 'found' me again. I'll have photos of those huge hollowed trees later.
@vandana7 (58755)
@JudyEv .. Please...the thought of living in a room like that is so ..fairy tale like...:)
@moffittjc (38137)
• Gainesville, Florida
Her new profile picture threw me off too! It took me a little while to realize it was Judy!
Nice to hear from you again Judy. There doesn't seem a lot of room on that road in your picture.
I think that particular part was one-way but in other sections the road was very narrow. That's why we did a recce of the area a week or two ago. As it was we nearly got stuck once or twice.
Those are very old trees, I've seen something this for the first time. Your a good person helping her out.
The trees in that part of the world are very spectacular - and very tall. I'm pleased to show you something you haven't seen before.
@princemaxp (2054)
• Bhubaneshwar, India
I love the pic
Thank you. We have some lovely forests in our south-west. It is always a pleasure to visit there.
• Bhubaneshwar, India
@JudyEv I love forest....I will surely visit Australia someday to spend sometime camping in the forest...
@princemaxp We have some lovely camping places in the forests here.
those are indeed some HUUUUGE trees
They are massive - not as tall as the sequoias though.
@JudyEv Ive never gotten to see the big trees in Cali, but I have in oregon, some are impressive
@Jessicalynnt I know our karris are the tallest tree but they are one of the tallest I think.
You were so kind to help Maxime, who knows if you will ever see him again. He will surely remember you.
I wondered how I should spell 'Maxime'. Now I know. I should have looked it up but we didn't get home till late in the afternoon.
@JudyEv Did you find the spelling? It comes natural to spell this name to me.
@Platespinner (19307)
So where are the photos of this young French hunk?
Unfortunately we didn't get a photo of him. You'll just have to take my word for it!
@JudyEv Sigh.
@silvermist (17119)
@JudyEv The track seems to have both very old and young trees.It is nice that you helped Lynn.Also you lent a helping hand to Maxim though you all met him for the first time.I am reminded of the quote- "A stranger is just a friend I haven't met yet." ~Will Rogers.
It is a beautiful part of Australia. I know that quote. It is very true in most cases.
@silvermist (17119)
@JudyEv Yes.it is true in most cases (if not all).
@Inlemay (16640)
• South Africa
I hope you took some photos of the HUNK - so glad that you had a great time, sounds like it was busy Welcome home
We didn't unfortunately. It was an interesting time but pretty relaxing for us.
@Inlemay (16640)
• South Africa
@JudyEv that's one great reward. Relaxing time.
Glad Maxim was a bit of a hunk. I would want to see him again too!
You never know. Maybe I'll get lucky.
@CoolPeace (1604)
• Miami, Florida
It was very nice of you to give your help.
Thanks. We enjoyed our time away too.
• New Delhi, India
Very nice gesture... It is praiseworthy
Thank you very much. It is nice to be able to help people from time to time.
• Japan
That sounds like a fun thing to do, and I'm sure your friend feels safer with you around.
We did enjoy our time away - saw some new country, took lots of photos and read lots of books. :)
@salonga (28074)
Maxim is blessed to have friends like you.
I think he was grateful to accept a lift as he had a very big backpack with him.
@Gillygirl (16445)
• Sutton, England
Welcome back it was kind of you to give Maxim a lift. The area looks glorious.
We call it 'big timber' country. It is very pretty.
@marsha32 (6770)
A lot of the bicyclists that stay at the bike hostel in our church have a vehicle with someone who follows them on their trip. This is a great thing you are doing!
Having a support person or two does make cycling or walking much easier.
@Jackalyn (6544)
• Oxford, England
What a fun thing to do. Nice for the friend to be so well supported too.
Our son backpacked and hitch-hiked in his younger days so we like to help others when we can.
@cindiowens (3897)
• North Myrtle Beach, South Carolina
Those trees are huge! Wow, that sounds so exciting!
It is very pretty driving through that country with the massive trees. The wildflowers are blooming at the moment too.
@Hate2Iron (7299)
Goodness, what gorgeous scenery!! And I'm sure that your friend was happy to have a bed ready to crawl into each night!!
Several days she was soaking wet when she got to us - after walking 20+kms. The weather wasn't very kind to her unfortunately. But she did what she set out to do so that's great.
@acelawrites (10866)
Looks like you ar also enjoying following your friend. It's nice to walk through that forest with beautiful trees along the path.
Some of the scenery was very spectacular. We only walked short distances, mostly to meet our friend when she was due to arrive.