What a Waste

@nanette64 (18202)
Fairfield, Texas
I don't know about the town where you all live, but every year starting about the middle of September, all of the businesses start putting out decorations for the upcoming holiday; which in this case is Halloween. Part of the decoration is always a bale or more of hay. Now I don't know if it has ever crossed your mind but what do they do with all of the hundreds of bales of hay at the end of the holidays; usually in January. Do you think it goes to help feed cows, donkeys, horses or goats in the community that might be starving for food? Nope. Because of possible rainy conditions or frost and dew during those months, the hay becomes rotten and unfit for animal consumption. So what do they do with it? They BURN it. Yep, the cities spend a fortune (since it is city money) and even if they buy it from retailers that sell hay at a discount of $5 per bale, that's a lot of moolah up in smoke. What a waste!!
@Hate2Iron (8132)
That is disgusting, not to mention bad for the environment. I never thought about it before, but you are right. The least they could do is find another use for it.
@nanette64 (18202)
• Fairfield, Texas
Government is all about waste @Hate2Iron and not the consequences thereof.
@Macarrosel (7536)
They're wasting money and effort
@nanette64 (18202)
• Fairfield, Texas
All in the name of decorations @Macarrosel .
Humans are such a wasteful lot! So many creatures could benefit what humans just destroy.
@nanette64 (18202)
• Fairfield, Texas
And it breaks my heart when the local animal control guy has to spend hundreds of dollars of his OWN money to buy hay to feed starving animals that he comes across @Corbin5 .
@nanette64 That is just so upsetting to know that funds are not available to feed those animals so in need of food. Something is not right in this world when something like that gentleman's kindness is so rare.
@nanette64 (18202)
• Fairfield, Texas
@Corbin5 He has the biggest heart and it just kills him to see animals suffer.
This sounds crazy, a waste of resources, a lot of pollution and risk of forest fires.
@nanette64 (18202)
• Fairfield, Texas
There is no common sense in our city governments @LadyDuck .
@nanette64 There is very little common sense in everything in our days.
@nanette64 (18202)
• Fairfield, Texas
@LadyDuck Scary, ain't it!
@Gillygirl (17623)
• Sutton, England
A waste of money, hay not to mention pollution from burning and risk of secondary fires.
@nanette64 (18202)
• Fairfield, Texas
Exactly @Gillygirl ; there's no common sense any more.
waste as well as pollution
@nanette64 (18202)
• Fairfield, Texas
And everybody wants to know how we can curb pollution @guaravdeury ; well duh!
@sugartoes (43819)
• Greencastle, Indiana
they could use it for OTHER things like mulch it up for compost would be a good thing they could five it to animal shelters to put in the pens for pets to keep WARM WITH they could use it to the road construction people to spread along side the road to keep the grass in place your right it's a WASTE to just burn it & not reuse it.
@nanette64 (18202)
• Fairfield, Texas
It truly amazes me @sugartoes how common sense could go a long way. Your suggestions are perfect.
@sugartoes (43819)
• Greencastle, Indiana
@nanette64 hell I could use what they burn with 7 dogs & winter just around the corner I could use it & they'd stay warm instead of me having to buy a few bails of it.
@nanette64 (18202)
• Fairfield, Texas
@sugartoes I know what you mean.
Our 'town' doesn't put out decorations for Halloween thank goodness. Some do, but small displays nothing outlandish. Are you talking $5 a small bail - the big round ones go for a lot more than that...mostly the farmers here to the big round ones but they do them for livestock.
@nanette64 (18202)
• Fairfield, Texas
The bales used all around town are the 70 pound square ones @AbbyGreenhill .
I really am not sure what happens here but we use more corn and pumpkins than hay.