Shared Story, Fact or Fiction, Dig a Little Deeper

@Morleyhunt (19806)
How many times do I read fascinating bits of history on Facebook? Almost daily, a friend or family member shares a nugget, or a quote attributed to or about some famous person. I rarely share them because I'm not gullible enough to believe everything I read. Yesterday a family member shared a story about a young nobleman, rescued by a Scottish farmer. In the story the noble and father rewards the farmer by educating his son....the son in turn becomes a doctor and in the course of time develops a medicine that eventually saves the life of the nobleman's son for a second time. The story sounds plausible, the names are shared at the end of the story. It was so tempting to share this incredible story with all of my friends. It was such a feel good story. Google can be so helpful. I entered in the two names and had an answer almost instantly. Fiction. It was disappointing. I had so hoped it was a true story I could share. Do you check the facts before you pass the story on?
I always check the facts if I am considering passing something on
@Morleyhunt (19806)
That is an excellent policy. There are too many half truths and outright lies being passed along as fact.
@Morleyhunt I find it annoying.
I always check the fact before sharing, there are too many people who spread rumors.
@Morleyhunt (19806)
Some on those stories are so glaringly untrue. The quotes especially. It takes less than a minute to check the facts.
@Morleyhunt You are right, it takes no time to check, before spreading fake news.
Yes indeed, I verify things before sharing it there...which is why most of the time, I don't share stuff.
@Morleyhunt (19806)
I appreciate the time you take to verify. I too rarely share...most items are untrue, or totally out of context.
@Platespinner (16772)
One of the reasons i get very, VERY annoyed with Facebook! ...or is it with the people who use Facebook...
@Morleyhunt (19806)
But it was such a good story.,,,it sounded so true. I was truly disappointed to find it was fiction.
@Bluedoll (17063)
The internet could be about sharing information and education but then they let people on it.
'twixt that 'n misquotes, i purty much refrain from sharin' much 'f anythin' there these days. i wish that more folks'd do some fact checkin' 'fore they fill 'p the feeds with 'garbage' - jest boggles the mind.
I do check the facts before I pass anything on, and I never ever go on facebook, too many half truths on there for me, I'm very gullible too.
I do check the facts before posting anything for others to read. Embarrassing for me if I were to post something that was untrue.
@Macarrosel (7551)
Some that are written in the internet nowadays seems not true at all.
@msiduri (5749)
Yes. I rarely pass things on because so much of it is hooey—especially if it's a good story! Sometimes if you want to go down a rabbit hole, you can find out how that story came to be and that's an even more interesting story.
Yes, I do check the facts. So many silly stuff going around on the net.