When Life Gives You Meatloaf.....

My kids aren't fans of meatloaf. Honestly, I'm not a huge fan myself, but it's ok. I remember when Nolan, my oldest, was little. Every single time I served meatloaf, he suddenly had a tummy ache. He'd cry because he was sick. It was so real and genuine (and pretty funny since I knew what was causing it.) So I usually make it about once a year. The kids are all big enough that they eat their firsts and then don't want seconds. There are always leftovers. I got creative this time around.... I realized as I was making it that it is honestly just ONE BIG meatball. Really. Oh sure, it might be a little different than a meatball, but it's essentially a type of meatball. Therefore, I decided to turn my leftovers into meatball subs. I bought a couple baguettes. We already had some marinara, mozzarella, and parmesan. I broke the meatloaf into small meatballs before creating my sandwiches to bake in the oven. I would call it a success. Everyone ate it. No one said, "Oh this is just meatloaf!" And when I served the leftovers today (because they are very filling sandwiches), the kids ate them happily, no grumbling. So when life gives me meatloaf leftovers in the future, I will make meatball subs.
I actually love meatloaf
• Grand Junction, Colorado
I don't blame your kids, I was never a fan of meatloaf growing up. I think it had to do with how my mom made it. I don't like meatloaf with ketchup cooked on it at all. I found one of those easy packet things and I love meatloaf with mash potatoes. I pour about a tablespoon of ketchup on my plate to dip my meatloaf into, that is more than enough for me. Turning into meatballs was a brilliant idea.
• Uzbekistan
Pity that you didn't think of this earlier. :-(
great idea! glad it was a success! My husband and I LOVE meatloaf and happily eat leftovers.
@AutumnSnow (4583)
that sounds really good and I never thought of doing that with leftover meatloaf. I usually make sloppy joes or spaghetti,lol.
@LoriAMoore (4702)
Creative and successful idea.