When Life Gives You Meatloaf.....

My kids aren't fans of meatloaf. Honestly, I'm not a huge fan myself, but it's ok. I remember when Nolan, my oldest, was little. Every single time I served meatloaf, he suddenly had a tummy ache. He'd cry because he was sick. It was so real and genuine (and pretty funny since I knew what was causing it.) So I usually make it about once a year. The kids are all big enough that they eat their firsts and then don't want seconds. There are always leftovers. I got creative this time around.... I realized as I was making it that it is honestly just ONE BIG meatball. Really. Oh sure, it might be a little different than a meatball, but it's essentially a type of meatball. Therefore, I decided to turn my leftovers into meatball subs. I bought a couple baguettes. We already had some marinara, mozzarella, and parmesan. I broke the meatloaf into small meatballs before creating my sandwiches to bake in the oven. I would call it a success. Everyone ate it. No one said, "Oh this is just meatloaf!" And when I served the leftovers today (because they are very filling sandwiches), the kids ate them happily, no grumbling. So when life gives me meatloaf leftovers in the future, I will make meatball subs.
@Platespinner (18095)
My kids don't mind meatloaf, but I have discovered (when I was short on time and didn't want to wait for the meatloaf to bake) that they prefer their meatloaf to be shaped into meat balls or patties. It's the same thing, but for some reason they enjoy it more if it's not shaped like meatloaf. Silly children.
@mom210 (5800)
• Atlanta, Georgia
We make something like that here, I call it porcupine meatballs, it stretch a bit further than the just meatloaf because of the rice added to it. Makes it a little more budget friendly for me.
I actually love meatloaf
• Grand Junction, Colorado
I don't blame your kids, I was never a fan of meatloaf growing up. I think it had to do with how my mom made it. I don't like meatloaf with ketchup cooked on it at all. I found one of those easy packet things and I love meatloaf with mash potatoes. I pour about a tablespoon of ketchup on my plate to dip my meatloaf into, that is more than enough for me. Turning into meatballs was a brilliant idea.
• Denmark
Pity that you didn't think of this earlier. :-(
great idea! glad it was a success! My husband and I LOVE meatloaf and happily eat leftovers.
@AutumnSnow (4625)
that sounds really good and I never thought of doing that with leftover meatloaf. I usually make sloppy joes or spaghetti,lol.
@LoriAMoore (9743)
Creative and successful idea.