Sunny England!

Solar wind farms
@Ronrybs (7506)
London, England
Who would have thought it, England can be on the sunny side. On my trip up north, I remembered to grab a photograph of the solar panel farm, that is a little south of Peterborough. I am all for renewable energy, but this particular solar array causes me to pause as it is built on what is productive farmland. There were plans for another solar farm to be built, but at moment they seem to be on hold. Slightly further south is a small wind farm. Here most of the farm land is still available for food production. Of course, these huge turbines have a unique set of problems, all their own, but out here in the middle of nowhere they less of an issue. As the picture shows, England is a heck of a sunny place!
We have many wind farms in California which the environmentalists promote. However, it has been proven, those propellers are slaughtering birds in particular the endangered California Condor.
@Ronrybs (7506)
• London, England
I know there are many problems with turbines, but I am hoping it will be like steam engines and motorcars. They started out with big problems, but improved over time
@Ronrybs The wind farms have been around for decades with no improvements.
I suppose the Condor is just stupid for flying too close then huh ?
I'm surprised they work in England, but happy to see alternative forms of energy.
@Ronrybs (7506)
• London, England
Me too, it has been sunny, but not that bright
• Uzbekistan
And there are vineyards in Cornwall! What more do you want?
@Ronrybs (7506)
• London, England
True! And come global warming they'll be planting ever further north
• Uzbekistan
@Ronrybs Have you seen the oldest grapevine of the world at Hampton Court?
Listed in 2005 as the world's longest grape vine, the Great Vine at Hampton Court Palace is a fantastic spectacle and prolific producer of black grapes.
@Ronrybs (7506)
• London, England
@MALUSE That was interesting, I'd have said that the oldest vine was on the continent!
It's good that it gets sunny at times
@Ronrybs (7506)
• London, England
It been known to happen. I note in my dairy when it does and thats twice so far this year!
@Ronrybs Funny guy!
Sun in England is a luxury--- well at least when I visited in 1984 as I think in the 12 days we were there, only 5 were actually sunny and as far as renewable solar energy use, oh I wish America would do more of this and stop relying solely on fossil fuel !
@Ronrybs (7506)
• London, England
I suppose the solar cells are getting more efficient and can even work over here... sometimes!
I wish more people here would get into natural energy.
@Ronrybs (7506)
• London, England
There's a lot of opposition, especially to turbines. There's no getting away from the facts they are eyesores, a bit noisy and can be a danger to birds. I'd like to think that with development we can improve this
The Swiss environmentalists are against those big propellers, at least until it's not found a way to protect the animals.
@Ronrybs (7506)
• London, England
Yes they have problems, but I think that with time and research we should be able to make them safer, at least I hope so.
@AliCanary (1852)
Solar panels are actually sensitive enough to pick up a small charge on a moonlit night, so even if it is cloudy, they are getting some input.
@gudheart (12741)
It has been rather sunny today also for most of the day. Now however it is dark and cold.