Commuting to Work

@acelawrites (12519)
Yesterday my husband and I attended a grandchild's birthday somewhere in Metro Manila and we decided to just ride a bus going there, then rode a taxi to get to the venue. Had a fun day. After that, we were taken by my sister's driver to the bus station going home. On the way, a lot of workers/employees rode the bus, some of them stood on the aisle of the jampacked bus. I pitied them, even the women/ladies who had to endure the situation just to earn for their families. I had experienced it too when I was very capable of doing it. Now, my sciatica won't permit it. Did you also experience riding public transportation getting to your work?
@epiffanie (10458)
I used to take the jeepney to get to work when I was living over there..I remember running after a jeepney when I was running late ..lol .. that was tough .. But I was only 24 years old then .. I can't do that anymore now ..
@acelawrites (12519)
I did that too, and it was one of those days that a bike hit my left leg when I was about to ride a jeepney; and up to now I can feel that it took its toll on my leg; it is painful now.
@acelawrites is that why you have sciatica?
@acelawrites (12519)
@hereandthere it could be one of the reasons.
@AkoPinay (10095)
Yes and I hate it that's why I now prefer to plant sweet potatoes at my hometown.
oh, i know that, too - "go home and plant kamote (sweet potato)!"
@acelawrites (12519)
Same here, I gave up my work to live in the province and enjoy cleaner air, and lesser traffic.
@hereandthere (33015)
traffic has gotten so bad in metro manila. someone told me what used to take 30 mins is now 2 hours. another told me riding the motorcycle only takes 15 mins while taking the jeepney took more than an hour.
@acelawrites (12519)
That's why some people just ride motorcycles or bikes to work. Traffic is such a mess.
@acelawrites unfortunately, we also have accidents, either the motorcycle and riders getting hit, or the riders hitting pedestrians.
I drove to work which only took about 20 minutes. My sister and husband took the train into the city of Chicago for work, which made for very long days for both.
@acelawrites (12519)
You are lucky to had your own car going to work.
@acelawrites Yes, but driving in blizzards in winter was pretty scary for me.
@antonbunot (9728)
• Calgary, Alberta
I used to work in Manila . . somewhere in U.N. Avenue (Ermita) . . just across from Hilton Hotel. I was renting a room somewhere in Monumento. Every morning I rode passenger jeepneys from home to work and from work to home. Smoke from diesel engines of hundreds of vehicles was killing me and I was sweating every day. I quit my job and returned to our province to start a photography business. I did not regret it.
@acelawrites (12519)
Yes, the polluted streets also made me decide to quit my good-paying job and enjoy the clean and cool air in our province.
• Walnut Creek, California
I drive drive drive. I use our public transit to go to baseball games so I don't have to deal with parking.
@acelawrites (12519)
Using public transportation can be good in such times when parking would really be a problem.
I never used public transport to get to work as there were no buses or trains that went near my workplace. I have used it occasionally but it's not my favourite way to get anywhere, especially when it's as crowded as yours seems to have been.
@acelawrites (12519)
Yes, it is so crowded, because it was already late at night and there are few buses plying during those hours.
I had experience the LONG line lines and the traffic as well, there isn't a day were I get mad with the situation. But all i could do in the vehicle is sleep it off until i get there.
@acelawrites (12519)
That's better; turning that negative situation into a positive one; at least you can get some sleep.