Book Review: "Dark Corners" - Ruth Rendell - Mystery

@FayeHazel (19039)
This book review will have a lot of spoilers, so please don't read this review if you are planning to read the book and want it to be a surprise. I'm listening to the audio version of the book "Dark Corners" by Ruth Rendell. It is her last novel, which makes this a sort of sad review. I like many of the elements in the book - a story that builds on itself, cause and effect theory, a story set in England but that's about where it ends. Our story begins with Carl - who has inheirted a house and belongings. Carl is a struggling writer who could use a little cash, and decides to rent to Dermitt. Shortly thereafter Carl meets with his friend Stacy - an overweight actress. Carl had found some diet pills in the house and offered to sell them to Stacy. Stacy later overdoses on these pills. Carl seems to have no feelings for his friend, other than worry that he would be blamed for selling her the pills, so he keeps quiet. Enter Dermitt who witnessed the sale. Dermitt now refuses to pay rent, threatening Carl with telling. Carl is hurting for money though. Dermitt's life improves - he gets engaged to a lady named Cybil. Carl, distraught confronts Dermitt later, hits him over the head and kills him. Then Cybil moves in. Oddly enough Cybil seems to know what Carl did, but she isn't overwhelmingly upset or sad -- she just continues to blackmail Carl - moving in rent free. Cybil is overweight too and takes some of the diet pills, left out by Carl. She gets ill as a result - and moves home. There are other things that don't make sense - how another character was kidnapped , and decided to not mention it to anyone, sort of shrugging it off... No, I don't get it. These characters don't really seem to have anything bother them, other than, maybe, wanting free rent. Has anyone else read it, make any more sense of it than I have? Enjoy my book reviews? To see more of them click the first green square above the picture.
Not an Inspector Wexford mystery?
@johnroberts Love that Inspector Wexford Such a good character. Don't know how i remembered him even before you said the name and i haven't read a book by Ruth Rendell in years. Been going the M.C. Beaton route lately! And Agatha Raisin and Hamish Macbeth but getting a Ruth Rendell one for sure when I go to the library Tuesday or Wednesday!
@FayeHazel (19039)
Nope, that name (Wexford) wasn't in there. Though on book review sites I noticed people seemed to like her other works better than this one.
@FayeHazel I haven't started it yet but am sad Inspector Wexford isn't in it as I remember really liking that character!
@fayehazel I used to read Ruth Rendell years ago I haven't read one of hers in over a decade Think i might walk to the library tomorrow will have to check out a book by her as i probably forgot all the stories. Did she die? How horrid if so as she was such a great writer! Or did she just quit writing? I hope she just quit writing! Hope she didn;t die what bad thing for somebody with so much talent. I will see if i can get the book you are reviewing!
@FayeHazel (19039)
Oh that's so cool. I'm happy that I inspired you. At least according to what I found online -- yes she passed away, unfortunately. I know, I felt sort of bad because I didn't give this book a particularly positive review. It's the first one I read by her -- I did notice on website a lot of people liked other books by her better than this one, but if you do read it -- please let me know what you thought? Maybe I just didn't quite get it.
@FayeHazel I will get to you soon as I got it from my local library's e-library but i got it in book form as it did not come in the audio book. I will let you know. Her other books are good! She was one of my favorite mystery authors once! She still might be because the library has so many of her books!
I've never even heard of it. Probably won't bother reading it if I ever see it, now. Thanks for the heads up.
@silvermist (20085)
@FayeHazel I had read books by Ruth Rendell. But when I happened to read books with vague story lines.I stopped reading. .She has written some good short stories, Barbara Vine is a pen name of Ruth Rendell.