You Are Not Your Illness

Bridgton, Maine
In our society in America, many people seem to think that mental illness is a part of who a person is if that individual has a form of mental illness, such as depression, PTSD, or schizophrenia. For example, many people will say that a person, "is bi-polar" or "is schizophrenic."  Even lots of mental health professionals word it that way. However, they are wrong.  Instead, a person isn't bi-polar or schizophrenic.  Instead, that person has bi-polar disorder.  That person has mental illness. I mean if somebody has cancer, they aren't cancer.  Instead, they have cancer. See what I mean?
I get your point.
I do see what you mean - and you are right. I'll be more careful of my wording in future.
@franxav (4266)
You're right. I am not the disorder I have.The disorder can be rectified too.
@Fishmomma (11535)
I agree with your discussion. There are times that people didn't mean exactly what they said and wanted others to know they are sick in the case of cancer. Several members of my family have had cancer and a few passed that had cancer.
@PatZAnthony (12045)
• Charlotte, North Carolina
You have some really good points here. Too many do seem to be happy to identify with the illness they have been labeled with, and that is not fair for them. We have all met people who practically introduce themselves by saying, "Hi, I am Bob. I am schizophrenic" etc.