Friend or foe?

Goodmorning, so pleased to see you.
Greece
This dog may well be judged as ferocious, as she looks at me through the window. It is not only books that should not be judged by their covers, neither should dogs. This one, my Elsa, is greeting me. This is only half a smile, the full smile has a wrinkled nose as well, she looks as though she is about to bite. I have seen a couple of dogs display like this as a form of greeting but only since I came to Greece. Is it common to other dogs as well? On one occasion I had to take her to the vet. It was full of pedigree dogs. Only Elsa was a commoner. She walked around slowly 'smiling; at everyone. Fortunately they knew dogs well enough to realise that she was being friendly.
Maybe your dog should have a sign around her neck with the words, "Don't worry. I'm smiling at you". It would put my mind at ease. :-)
@MALUSE I totally agree with you! When my dog shows her teeth she is not a happy camper-she's angry!
I agree, I have never seen a dog showing the teeth to "smile".
• Greece
@LadyDuck Perhaps this is just a Greek dog thing....?
I would think this dog is at least on the angry side. My dog looks this way when she's mad or when she's playing with a toy-she thinks she looks scary and we will give her the rope. Lol.
• Greece
Not in the least angry, she smiles at some of our visitors too, the ones she knows. It isn't just the face, the rest of the body language counts too, her hair does not rise and she does not make any sound at all. Not even a hint of a growl.
@41CombedaleRoad Your right the no noise would make a difference. My dog does growl when she shows her teeth.
she gets agresive with her toys
Elsa is a hoot! That is quite a smile Elsa has. She loves to give a big toothy smile which means she is one happy pup!!!
• Greece
I guess you know dogs very well and Elsa would give you a smile too if she could.
@41CombedaleRoad I would love to see Elsa's smile up close and personal!! Molly has a different smile than Elsa, but when I walk her and she is has having a great time, she will look back and smile at me as we walk. It is a smile that says, "Aren't we having fun, Mom?"
@1212smk (47)
This is very terrible dog.It appears very angry but it is surprising that it is greeting..
• Greece
In Elsa's defence - she is a loving dog. I'm going to try to add another photo of her to convince you.
used to've a pup who smiled more oft'n not, used to freak folks out :) the pup that's my near constant companion smiles when she's anxious - when she's been left 'hind here 't the house.
That does look a bit off-putting, but on closer inspection I can see that her eyes are welcoming.
Yes, I've seen a few dogs to that and it's comical if you understand dog behavior. Sadly, too many people only know what little they've seen the more vicious types do and attribute any kind of behavior like this as vicious. It's a shame they're the ones who others look to for dog advice.
I have never seen a dog smiling, but when they show the teeth in an aggressive mood they also emit sounds.
@shivamani10 (11131)
• Hyderabad, India
Generally it happens like that
There are some instances when - the bark is worse than the bite - and I have heard of cases where a quiet dog may sneak up on you and bite.