Ten Favorite Rock State Names Songs: Illinois (#5)

@FourWalls (13687)
It's time to close out 2016. I want to thank each and every one of you who's taken the time to read my discussions about music, music, music, a couple of other subjects, and music. I wish you all peace, joy, and the best of 2017. Here's my next song on the list of favorite rock songs with a state's name in the title. #5: Illinois - Dan Fogelberg How's this for a strange combination? Dan Fogelberg, notorious for his soft-rock (almost smarmy at times) songs like "Longer," and loud guitar icon Joe Walsh! You may be shuddering. But that's exactly what happened with Fogelberg's classic 1974 album Souvenirs. Walsh produced the album, and he even got his future band mates Don Henley and Glenn Frey of the Eagles, to sing back-up on several of the songs. Souvenirs has always been my favorite Dan Fogelberg album, and I prefer it to the "mega success" things like Phoenix. It's not that Fogelberg didn't do "soft rock" before "Longer." It just had more substance. Case in point: this song, an ode to Fogelberg's home state. He wrote it from the perspective of a man a long way from home ("my mind goes running three thousand miles east") in a place he doesn't necessarily care for ("south California, your sun is too cold, it looks like your hills have been raped of their gold") in contrast to where he was born ("it looks like you're gonna have to see me again, Illinois"). And Walsh laid down some tasty guitar work on this song, as well as on the rest of the album. Dan Fogelberg died of prostate cancer in 2007. His music remains a cherished part of my life. Illinois Written by Dan Fogelberg Recorded by Dan Fogelberg From Souvenirs, 1974 Illinois, I'm your boy:
Skip navigation Sign inSearch Loading... Close Yeah, keep it Undo Close Watch QueueQueueWatch QueueQueue The next video is startingstop Loading... Watch Queue Queue __count__/__total__ Loading... Find out whyClose TheDREAMSDEMON SubscribeSubscribedUnsubsc
I remember Fogelberg but don't know the song.
"My kid is in the van listening to Dan Fogelberg" - Deacon Palmer (The King of Queens.) seriously, good song.