Pour Some Sugar on It: #2 "Brown Sugar" Rolling Stones (1971)

Los Angeles, California
Boy, this one sure came out of left field. From the famed “Sticky Fingers” album, “Brown Sugar” was heard in the rockumentary “Gimme Shelter,” reached #1 on the charts and ranks among the Stones’ best known songs. Mick Jagger takes primary writing credit having composed the song while filming “Ned Kelly” in Australia. He was inspired by his secret black girlfriend Marsha Hunt by whom he had a child. “Brown Sugar” was controversial for venturing into taboo territory. There are references to slave ships, New Orleans slave market, old slaver and whip the women. Jagger toned down lyrics in later concerts.
The Rolling Stones performing "Brown Sugar" live in Texas, 1972. "Brown Sugar" is the first single from the album Sticky Fingers. This version of the song fe...
I would say that I figured this would show up, except I totally spaced it out. I had no idea about the back story. You learn something new everyday!
I read all that on Wiki. If you listen, it makes sense but I was a kid when it was a hit and all I knew was it sounded good and didn't think of such interpretations.
I hope you aren't diabetic!
@masood72 (4159)
• Amersfoort, Netherlands
nice and good post
@FourWalls (8932)
I say yeah, yeah, yeah, woo!
• Preston, England
certainly one of the best Stones hits of all
@LoriAMoore (8792)
Good one! I didn't know that Mick had a biracial child.
@FayeHazel (9337)
Ah, I wondered if it was actually about a woman
@Gillygirl (15260)
• Sutton, England
I had no idea about the story behind the song, I've learnt something new.
• Trinidad And Tobago
I think I saw a movie with this name.but i don't rightly recollect it.Brown Sugar.
Wow! I had no idea. I'm going to listen carefully now.