Starting a Writing Class

Pixabay:No Attribution Required
@DWDavis (11216)
Pikeville, North Carolina
Today, as a late Christmas present, my wife gave me an online Master Class in writing by James Patterson. I started the class today. Something like this has been a long time coming. I've needed something to fan the flames of my writing passion. NaNoWriMo managed to jumpstart my efforts, and did result in completion of my latest manuscript, but it was time for me to do something more. Taking this class is a start on that something more. While I am not an avid James Patterson reader, I do respect his success, and expect he will be able to offer ideas and processes that can help me to be a better writer. I'm also looking forward to learning how to market myself, and my books, more effectively than I do now. In the first two lessons I've already drawn up a more consistent schedule for working on my writing. As I go through the course I will post occasional updates about what I've learned and how its helped me.
What a lovely present. I'll look forward to reading the updates about what you've learnt.
@DWDavis (11216)
• Pikeville, North Carolina
At least James Patterson is interesting to listen to, unlike some other online instructors I've had.
@DWDavis I haven't done any courses online. Some of the tutorials on different things leave a bit to be desired.
@DWDavis (11216)
• Pikeville, North Carolina
@JudyEv I'm somewhat of a veteran of online courses. When I was clearing my teaching license after I left the accounting office for the classroom, I took several online college classes. I also take many online continuing education classes as a teacher. They take some getting used to, but I find them convenient as I can work on them at the time of day convenient for me.
You have read any of his Alex Cross novels?
@DWDavis (11216)
• Pikeville, North Carolina
I have not read any Alex Cross, though I've been told they're pretty good. I've mostly read his YA stuff because it's what my students would be reading.
I have and they are good.
@DWDavis (11216)
• Pikeville, North Carolina
@andriaperry Perhaps I'll find the first in the series and give it a try.
@yukimori (8558)
That sounds interesting! I hope you're able to get a lot of useful information from the class while you're taking it. James Patterson isn't one of my favorite authors, but there's no denying how successful he's been when it comes to writing and getting his books published.
@DWDavis (11216)
• Pikeville, North Carolina
It is his success that my wife is hoping I can draw inspiration and ideas from. I've been writing seriously for almost 6 years now, and need something to help me take it to the next level.
@DWDavis (11216)
• Pikeville, North Carolina
@yukimori Thanks for the encouragement, and the forum link. I will check it out and see if it is something I would like to join in on.
@Meramar (1822)
That's great that you pursue your dreams. It's a really nice Christmas present. The realization of some writing courses is on my list for this year to enhance my writing skills.
@DWDavis (11216)
• Pikeville, North Carolina
This one is relatively inexpensive.
@Meramar (1822)
That is so interesting and a lovely present to give and receive! I like James Patterson's "When The Wind Blows", but have not gotten to the others yet. There are just too many good books out there. I admire those who has a way with words and aspire to become a writer too.
@DWDavis (11216)
• Pikeville, North Carolina
Have you set aside time to write everyday? The two most important things an aspiring writer can do is be a voracious reader, and write, write, write. Do you keep a journal? That is a good way to get in the habit of writing daily. Writing here on myLot is another good way to practice your craft and sharpen your skills.
That's a pretty cool present enjoy.
@silvermist (14854)
@DWDavis Your wife has presented you with something you needed.Looking forward to your updates.
@msiduri (5846)
Best of luck.
@Linda1234 (4810)
• Houston, Texas
thank you share the information to us.Hope your dream come true .
@Brittnyrose (1472)
• Aberdeen, North Carolina
Congrats on the writing course. I'm sure you'll have a great outcome. Remember follow your dreams.
I'd like to be a published writer but I just don't have what it takes from a confidence point of view. Maybe a creative writing course would give me some of what I lack. Have fun with it!
@CoralLevang (34462)
I am so pleased to hear of this! Congratulations!
• Eugene, Oregon
That sounds like a worthwhile class to take. I hope that you enjoy you.
I will be waiting. I had seen that class offered but I dont have time right now. I read his books and love them. I just finished one and will check out another tomorrow.