Daily Bible Study

Green Bay, Wisconsin
Day 124 Proverbs 15:26 Proverbs 15:26 The thoughts of the wicked are an abomination to the LORD: but the words of the pure are pleasant words. Everyone has thoughts. You think all day, every moment, and sometimes those thoughts turn into words and expressions. Your thoughts can bring you trouble, or get you out of it. You all know someone who is always in trouble. How does a person get in trouble? Isn’t it with the thoughts they think? All words and actions begin somewhere, and that somewhere is in the thoughts. Thoughts become intents and intents become action. Solomon was no different than anybody else in that he also knew people who were always in trouble. He began to put a picture together about the people he saw every day. People who tended to evil, and those who lived good lives. As he studied the various people, he put those qualities together with what he saw in God’s law, and found those who were wicked didn’t have any good thoughts and were far from God. He saw them as an abomination to God. Later the prophet Jeremiah summed up those thoughts and actions. Jeremiah 17:9 The heart is deceitful above all things, and desperately wicked: who can know it? (KJV) In so saying, Jeremiah showed that all men were deceitful and wicked. Everyone has bad thoughts that can lead to trouble. Before you become a Christian, you were abominable before God. No matter what you said or did, you had no place in him. Your thoughts and actions did not give you any hope. David also saw that mankind wasn’t righteous before God. No one sought him and their hearts were wicked. Psalm 14:1 < The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that does good. 2 The LORD looked down from heaven upon the children of men, to see if there were any that did understand, and seek God. 3 They are all gone aside, they are all together become filthy: there is none that does good, no, not one. (KJV) You and I fit snuggly in that description. You might not think yourself a fool, yet before anyone becomes a Christian, that is our description. Is there any hope? If everyone is wicked, if everyone has evil thoughts, how does mankind move forward so their thoughts, words, and actions put them on the good side, the side where God approves of them? Even Paul showed that no one, not even he, was righteous before God. Romans 3:3 For what if some did not believe? Shall their unbelief make the faith of God without effect? 4 God forbid: yea, let God be true, but every man a liar; as it is written, That thou might be justified in thy sayings, and might overcome when thou art judged. 5 But if our unrighteousness commend the righteousness of God, what shall we say? Is God unrighteous who takes vengeance? (I speak as a man) 6 God forbid: for then how shall God judge the world? 7 For if the truth of God hath more abounded through my lie unto his glory; why yet am I also judged as a sinner? 8 And not rather, (as we be slanderously reported, and as some affirm that we say,) Let us do evil, that good may come? whose damnation is just. 9 What then? Are we better than they? No, in no wise: for we have before proved both Jews and Gentiles, that they are all under sin; 10 As it is written, There is none righteous, no, not one: 11 There is none that understands, there is none that seeks after God. 12 They are all gone out of the way, they are together become unprofitable; there is none that does good, no, not one. Yet Solomon showed that people can speak good and receive God’s favor. How does anyone receive favor from God? As Christians, our hope lies in Jesus Christ. Paul recognized our shortcomings, and gave us something to hope for. 2 Corinthians 10:3 For though we walk in the flesh, we do not war after the flesh: 4 (For the weapons of our warfare are not carnal, but mighty through God to the pulling down of strong holds;) 5 Casting down imaginations, and every high thing that exalts itself against the knowledge of God, and bringing into captivity every thought to the obedience of Christ; 6 And having in a readiness to revenge all disobedience, when your obedience is fulfilled. (KJV) Our hope then lies in the weapons found in God’s Word. Hebrews 4:12 For the word of God is quick, and powerful, and sharper than any two-edged sword, piercing even to the dividing asunder of soul and spirit, and of the joints and marrow, and is a discerner of the thoughts and intents of the heart. (KJV) Satan would keep you bound to your sin. He would have you believe that no matter what you do, no matter what your thoughts, no matter what your intents, you will never receive God’s favor. Satan is a liar and the father of lies. Once you understand that, you will also understand that God will not put any evil thoughts in your mind or heart. God doesn’t tempt us to do evil, that is Satan’s domain. Jas 1:13 Let no man say when he is tempted, I am tempted of God: for God cannot be tempted with evil, neither tempts he any man: 14 But every man is tempted, when he is drawn away of his own lust, and enticed. 15 Then when lust hath conceived, it brings forth sin: and sin, when it is finished, brings forth death. (KJV) When you use God’s Word to ward off all the evil thoughts coming from Satan, you will also receive God’s favor and grace, and Satan will flee from you because he cannot stand in the presence of a man or woman of God who stands on the Word of God. Below is a song about your words from Hawk Nelson called Words. Let’s pray: Father, let my words bring life and hope and not bring me down, but lift me up. Let me cast down all the evil imaginations of my heart put there by Satan. Help me stand with the sword of the Word of God in my hands. In Jesus’ name, I pray, amen. Copyright © 10 January 2017 by Valerie Routhieaux Image courtesy of Pixabay
Words is the latest single from Hawk Nelso's album MADE and features Bart Millard from MercyMe. Preview the album & get your copy at the links below iTunes: ...
Our actions are so much easier to control than our thoughts.
Yes they are.