Have you ever come across someone who had the most ridiculous reason for choosing a profession?

By DJ
@Daljinder (21541)
For example: Doctor Because they liked "Dr." before their names. Forget the fact that they couldn't handle blood and needles were their enemies. Armed Forces Because men in uniform are hot. Teacher Because they wanted to partake in Corporal Punishment. I wonder do they realize the responsibilities of these professions? Do you think choosing one's profession for all the wrong reasons leads to failure in the future? Whatever happened to passion, interest and inspiration? Have you ever found someone's reasons behind their choice of profession a bit strange? (Photo by Pixabay)
Yes. It already happened.
@HAPPSINGH A long time ago. Some silly people.
@Daljinder (21541)
@TheInvisibleMan So they ruined it ?
@Daljinder Some of them, yes.
@TheSojourner (17454)
I am career coach and the question you asked here is one I always ask... What's your passion, interest, and inspiration? That is often a foreign question for them... I might as well be speaking a foreign language. The answer I received most often, especially from men: " whatever pays the most money." From women: " to make a difference in the world." Sometimes when I push to explore that a little bit, I realized early on that they have no idea their passions or interests are but succumb to what others have told them is acceptable or better. Trying to help them to get back to who they are at the core is a very difficult process. It is also often met with a lot of resistance. Oh, and I join the armed forces, not because the men were hot... Because I wanted to serve my country. Even it was idealistic.... But I have to admit, that I did see a lot of hot men!
@Daljinder (21541)
@CoralLevang It is a serious thing to consider though. Kids are bogged down by peer pressure, parent's aspirations/expectations, be teacher's pets, bad influences......... These are not a good environment for making right career choices for right reasons. And it happens more often than not.
@Daljinder of course it happens more often than not because we as parents and as leaders in families and communities put undue pressure on these kids rather than allow them to be creative and help them to figure things out. We tell them that the only thing that's important is money and some sort of stature or certain jobs are better than others because that makes them more important. When we have children that say they want to be an artist or some sort, the first reaction is oh they won't make any money. So parents are some of the worst when it comes to helping their children be themselves. Especially were careers are concerned. There's always a payoff, most definitely, but we do not support our kids to be anything other than what we think that Society deems as successful. And eventually, it hurt some of our children as they grow up and become adults.
@Daljinder (21541)
@CoralLevang It's a race plain and simple. Competition! SMH!
I do know many choose a profession for the monetary rewards.
@Daljinder (21541)
@JusyEv Yes! Sad as it maybe but its true.
@Daljinder They would be much better off to choose something that they would love doing each and every day.
I know a lot of teachers want to teach due to having a very long summer vacation. However, they get a rude awakening when they realized teachers today do not have an entire summer of vacation. Committee meetings, curriculum committee meetings, teaching summer school, institute days and more occur during the summer.
@Daljinder (21541)
@Corbin5 I just wrote a somewhat same reply to one of the other responders. Yeah I agree. We get holidays late. Later than kids are on vacation and have to come back early before school starts.
It can indeed lead to failure - or the person may suddenly realize that they like the job after all and end up being very good at it.
@Daljinder (21541)
@Kandae lol I can attest to that. After I wrote my final year exams, I realized I didn't want to be a Software Engineer.
Never really thought about it, but a doctor who doesn't like blood and needles is in the wrong profession. A person should really like what they're doing or they will be set up for failure.
@Daljinder (21541)
@just4him Tell me about it. That would ruin his professional career if he/she didn't suck it up.
@Daljinder Yes it would.
@Gillygirl (17282)
• Sutton, England
Some teachers seem to think teaching is easy because of the long holidays.
@Daljinder (21541)
@Gillygirl Ha! There are far from holidays. lol We teachers have to stay late into holidays and come early from holidays
@Gillygirl (17282)
• Sutton, England
@Daljinder I know as I used to be one too!
Does "my parents wanted me to be a doctor" count? Or "I need to make a lot of money" count?
@Daljinder (21541)
@rebelann It very much does. Those are actually one of the most common reasons.
I kinda thought so @Daljinder it's also the reason I don't go to doctors, most of them are in it for the money only
I must admit to never having come across anything like your examples - the mind boggles
@Daljinder (21541)
@jaboUK Strange things happen sometimes.
The reasons why a profession is chosen are several, most being they have no choice.
@Daljinder (21541)
@allknowing In Indian society I would agree with that. Either their choices are made by their parents or circumstances force them into their chosen professions.
@rz3300 (139)
It might take me a bit to remember, but I am sure there is somebody that I have come across can say something like that. Mine is just boring and I just fell into my career, so no craziness here.
@Daljinder (21541)
@rz3300 I fell into teaching because we were tight on money and a job was necessary.
@jhechorain (1218)
• Susanville, California
I always thought these things were just stereotypes. I haven't come across those in my line of acquaintances though. Sounds interesting that someone would actually go through with the career.
@Daljinder (21541)
@jhechorian Not everytime but there are many individuals that would go for certain professions for strange reasons.
@VivaLaDani13 (19866)
• Perth, Australia
@Daljinder yeah a girl I went to school with wanted to be in the army to wear the uniform and to "F*ck the army guys."