What's the Simplest Thing it could be?

Bunbury, Australia
How do you approach problems of a physical kind? Do you regard it as a challenge and wade right in, sleeves rolled up and fists bunched? I've just read a post by @xFiacre about a nurse trying to take the pulse of a patient only to find out the patient had passed away and it brought to mind the first thing I say when something goes wrong with an appliance or somesuch here. The question I ask is 'what is the simplest thing it could be?' My query wasn't always appreciated but so often a solution has been something simple that we both tend to ask it now. Once we were trying to put together a wooden chair which came as a flatpack. There were four of these chairs and the first one we tried to put together had actually been packed incorrectly. The rest went together like a dream but we had no end of trouble with the first one before giving up on it and trying the next. So I'm wondering – what has been a problem to you and the solution has been something really simple? I guess the obvious one for us is something not going and a plug having come out of an electrical socket. Other times the fault hasn't been with an appliance but maybe the switch or cord we've plugged into.
right, when I had to pinch hit in tech support, which I was NOT trained for or good at,I'd start with is it plugged in and turned on?
That's the exact thing I do now. It's surprising how often it is something simple that needs addressing.
the photo there.Is that a bench of sort.Yes,I had these things happen and simple that it was. I felt so small.LOL
It can be embarrassing can't it? Especially if someone else comes along, flicks a switch and everything works again.
That's a pretty nice looking bench there.
It's a beauty isn't it? And it's been polished by quite a lot of posteriors by the look of it.
@averygirl72 (16635)
It's a unique looking bench for me.
@averygirl72 There were a few of these around the place. People are clever at picking the shapes they need.
@PatZAnthony (12772)
• Charlotte, North Carolina
Always look for the simple answer first! When it comes to appliances not working, is it unplugged? When it comes to a human not feeling well, are they dehydrated? Keep it simple.
The dehydration is a good one. I rarely drink as much as I should.
This reminded me of my French friend. I was talking to him then other night and he was having all sorts of problem in approaching things and asked for my advice. I told him that he should approach it in the simplest way. Always go back to the basic. Because of how life is right now, people tend to forget the basics and just use the complicated way.
That is very true. Go back to the basics and work forward.
@noni1959 (3453)
I've had silly simple moments. I can't think of many though I know there are there. One is when my cheap dollar store glasses broke and I was trying to figure how to tape until I could get another cheap pair and opened my drawer to get a pair of scissors. There was super glue. Simple and easy.
Super glue is a pretty good 'fix' in many cases, isn't it?
@Gillygirl (17340)
• Sutton, England
One of the biggest clangers I've dropped was when a printer wasn't working at my college. I was so tired, I'd taken the thing apart to then find it wasn't plugged in.
Yes, things like that happen. So much time and effort wasted.
Good post on cultivating awareness !
Thanks. It's easy to miss the simple things and start worrying about big issues.
@JudyEv I guess I am backwards then cause I tend to focus on the minute details before assessing the bigger picture--- just to see if ALL the pieces fit in my puzzle of life
@enlightenedpsych2 That doesn't sound like such a bad idea either.
I don't think that way, simply because I'm not handy at all and when I try to fix something, I usually end up making it worse. Maybe I should start thinking that way.
Maybe you're better off just getting someone in to fix your problems.
@JudyEv - Oh, believe me, I do.
@teamfreak16 It's a wise man who knows he's beaten BEFORE he's beaten. Many of us don't.
@xFiacre (4582)
@judyev I totally agree. Much time I have spent trying to figure out why the computer or TV won't work when the problem all along has not been the appliance but the moron who hadn't thought to switch it on.
And was said moron thyself??
@xFiacre (4582)
@JudyEv my wife has all the evidence!
@xFiacre I thought as much!
@sans224 (1833)
most problems we just quit the trial before the very moment it could be solved.
That is very true. We need to persevere for just a bit longer, don't we, before giving up.
@sans224 (1833)
@JudyEv Sure You are right
That's a good question to ask.
It's surprising how often it is something simple that has gone wrong.
@JudyEv Yes it is and usually staring right at you.
Great photo.
It's a great bench isn't it?
@MRXSNTRK (61)
• New York, New York
Well, every situation is different. But usually the best and simplest way to approach a problem is to give the situation a quick assessment, then take the appropriate course of action. Make a mental list... 1. What is the problem? 2. How did the problem start? 3. What do I need to do to correct the problem? 4. What can I do to prevent the same issue or problem from occurring again? This is just a general guide. Of course we may come into life situations where third party assistance is needed such as in a health crisis. You can also keep phone numbers handy such as emergency contacts, local authorities, health care providers, etc. that can smooth out any help or assistance you need should a situation call for it. The simplest way to take care of a problem is through the lost art of prevention. However, when life's surprises, creep up on us, then an easy to follow plan of action, can make all the difference and provide some cushion to any hardships. Hope all is well. :)
The 'prevention' idea is a good one! You have good advice here. Thanks for your input.
• Pamplona, Spain
Trying to download the Adobe Flash Player its giving me a lot of problems but I am getting there. Its like trying to figure out Wordpress and others before they were so easy now they are the reverse. However I don´t give up so tomorrow I will be back to download that Adobe Flash and make it stay put. Just an example.
I had a lot of trouble getting my first YouTube video to work. Now I can do it with one eye shut. Next I'm working on shutting both eyes.
@nanette64 (17696)
• Fairfield, Texas
I have found that Duct Tape solves most problems @JudyEv . Kids yelling; duct tape. Wire hanging from the ceiling; duct tape. Husband stealing the remote; duct tape the remote to your chair. Cat hair all over the furniture; duct tape.
When we were due to have our first house concert, our son gave us a roll of duct tape. He said every musician needed a roll of it - and he was right. And anyone dealing with musos needs it too. :)
@Freelanzer (9353)
Love the bench looks like wood or stone. Most of the physical challenges are usually left to my other half simply because he is better at it than I am
Love that wooden sofa, bench(?)! Sometimes the simplest solution is to call my husband to the rescue! It was usually a duh moment for me.
@cahaya1983 (10043)
Yes! I put my phone to charge and came back only to see it was still not charged - turned out that I had forgotten to press the switch.
That is easily done too isn't it? :)