"Moana" (2016): Movie Review (Grade: +A)

A Disney animated film about a princess who has no romance and no prince? Yes! Let me introduce to yourselves "Moana". Fleeing from all the stereotypes surrounding Diensy's princess films, "Moana" chieves something really wonderful: to show that girls can go much further than falling in love and getting married to have a happy ending. This is a very important lesson for girls who will soon become women. The young woman fights against a terrible curse. She counts on the help of her friends and with one of the main elements of nature, water. There is no prince enchanted to save her (she fights alone or with her friends), there are no sweet little music to pack the scenes. It's a film for children, which at the same time holds the attention of adults. Which in my opinion, already credits the script (written by Jared Bush) as excellent. Ron Clements and John Musker are the principal directors of this new undertaking of Disney and their work is really good (although they lost a little while prolonging some unnecessary moments). They manage to create some very and consistent magical moments throughout the whole film. I confess that the cast could have been a little better. I really don't like Dwayne Johnson and Nicole Scherzinger, but the newcomer Auli'i Cravalho saves the entire cast (I really enjoyed her acting). The end result is a well-matched cast, who performs well their respective roles. The soundtrack is great and energetically complements the scenes of which they are part. But the particular show of the film is due to special effects, which are sensational (It's like watching a magic show on the big scree). If you are a fan of animated films and want to watch something different, "Moana" is definitely a movie you should consider watching in theaters.
Watch the brand new trailer for Disney’s Moana! See the film, starring Dwayne The Rock Johnson & Auli'i Cravalho, in theatres in 3D this Thanksgiving! Websit...
Great review! I never even realized it until you said it that there is no romance or prince in this disney movie. I expected at the end that the demi-god and Moana would marry. This was an excellent movie!
@shaggin Glad that you liked. Thanks.
I love this movie. We watched it a few weeks ago. My grand daughter already seen it twice. It had a good story to it. The soundtrack was wonderful and fun. Definitely an animated movie worth watching.
Sounds like another 'must-see' film.