A Dozen Songs I Loathe: #10 "Space Oddity" David Bowie (1969)

Los Angeles, California
“This is ground control to Major Tom” When I hear those somber words, it is time to change channels. Yeah, it is sacrilege to dislike one of legendary David Bowie’s signature songs but I did not like his astronaut then or now. And I did not like Major Tom’s return in “Ashes to Ashes.” From the album “David Bowie,” “Space Oddity” was Bowie’s first major hit reaching Billboard Hot 100 #15. Fans and critics love “Space Oddity” contemplating its “deep inner meaning.” The heralded soft “dramatic” intro is slow and tedious and Bowie’s voices drones on and on. Who cares? I was never into space stuff. “Space Oddity” was such a turnoff that I did not begin to like Bowie until 1973’s “Rebel Rebel.”
Official video for David Bowie - Space Oddity. David Bowie (Five Years 1969 – 1973) is available as 2 beautifully packaged Limited Edition box sets; on 180g ...
@FourWalls (12902)
I don't agree; however, I can easily see what would be unpleasant about this song. "Planet earth is blue and there's nothing I can do" won't go down in history as Bowie's best lyrics.
I don't like that one either
• Preston, England
I really like the song - and its sequel Ashes To Ashes
@FayeHazel (16496)
No Major Tom for you huh?
• Riga, Latvia
Yes, this is one I don't like either. In fact I have never been a great fan of David Bowie but I do know there are some songs of his that I really love.
@sabtraversa (12492)
This song is so deep and talks to my heart that... I almost fell asleep. Artists change a lot through the years, but we can't really complain, as long as we've finally obtained the song we like. I only know Heroes, Change and this one, by the way.
I was disappointed that he didn't do this when I saw him. Of course, he was so great that I didn't even realize it until a couple hours later. Wouldn't have fit that particular tour anyway.
@Ronrybs (7302)
• London, England
I am neither hot or cold towards this one