Advice on Anxiety

Florence, Kentucky
So I have crippling anxiety attacks and would like to hear if anyone else deals with this. And how you cope.
I been to the er for it about 6 times last month. It was so bad I thought I was having heart attacks. I am on buspur for it .
• Florence, Kentucky
I've been on that. I've been in and out of hospitals for years. Haven't had a job in a year.
@Jazzyb00 I have not had one in Years.
• Florence, Kentucky
@sharon6345 you're so lucky
@pahak627 (4198)
I don't know much about this crippling anxiety attacks but when I read its symptoms, I had one of the symptoms several years back. The flashback of a traumatic experience. But the experience that I had may not be classified as traumatic but that was so fearful. I was really afraid. This was what happened. I was with friends at the National Power Corporation in Iligan City, this is one of the cities in Mindanao, Philippines wherein the hydro electric power plant is located. My officemate visited her husband who was working there and her sister-in-law (her husband's sister) and I went with her. Her sister-in-law was just my age so we walked along the top overlooking the turbines. At first, I looked at it naturally as if there was nothing fearful. But when my officemate's husband noticed, he told us not to walk on that area. So we heeded to what he told us. It was at that time that I realized how dangerous it was, if we fall we surely die and not only that we will be like fruits being placed in a blender. From then on, I imagined how I will be when I fall. Every night, I had a hard time going to sleep thinking of that. I could not prevent myself from shivering. That went on for almost a month. I thought I was going crazy. I sometimes shouted during my sleep. What I did was I read books every night just to keep my mind busy to forget everything about the turbines. Even the thought of it at this time made me feel shivering but not so much. I could not even remember when it stopped. Maybe time healed it.
• Florence, Kentucky
That sounds life you have a fear of hights. I've dealt with emetaphobia since around 8 years old. Still have it. Still dream of it. The source of my anxiety attacks. And idk why im even afraid of it.
@Beatburn (3923)
Good for you to overcome it. Sometimes, our body has its way of healing itself. It just needs time, and of course, something else to do.
@pahak627 (4198)
I don't know if you believe this. I haven't read about it yet but I was told by a natural doctor that our healing period is from 9:00 o'clock in the evening until 4:00 o'clock in the morning. So we have to sleep within this time. But I still have to research on this if I have the time to do so.
• Pamplona, Spain
You might well need medication for a while but later comes the fear of the fear its that which needs to be treated. Learning to relax in such a fast moving World can seem to be very hard but you can do it. Start by trying to slow down say for five minutes a day and build it from there. Hope it helps.
• Florence, Kentucky
I take meds but even so my fear just absolutely haunts me
• Pamplona, Spain
@Jazzyb00 Again the fear of the fear is what it is like having a bad dream and letting it get to you all day long. Its not easy to cope with Medication alleviates but does not cure not even herbs cure it. If you know what the fear is about you can do a great deal to face it head on but if you don´t know what is causing it then its a bit difficult to cope with. I would talk to someone qualified and they might be able to disarm the repeating fear as I call it. Good luck.
• Florence, Kentucky
@lovinangelsinstead21 I do not know the cause. I've also talked to countless therapists and even asked about exposure therapy and they just give me meds.
I do not like enclosed spaces so I try to avoid them when I can.
• Florence, Kentucky
My worst fear is vomiting. I will cry and everything
I cope with yoga and meditation, and an occasional sleeping / anxiety pill from time to time (my general physician prescribed it). A piece of dark chocolate when blood pressure goes high, avoiding junk food as much as I can. I am sorry about your anxiety. I hope you feel better. Writing down your fears on a journal and then deleting it helps too.
• Pamplona, Spain
I can´t do Yoga or Meditation properly and I don´t really know why it works better for me to relax watching Television or something that I really like. But the five minute relax thing works best for me and I have increased it over time. Great advice though.
@lovinangelsinstead21 for me yoga and meditation works best as soon as I wake up in the morning. Hubby and kids are still asleep, so I am fully relaxed for a session. Try finding more YouTube videos on yoga and meditation, sometimes we just need to find the right one for us. I bought an app for my Windows laptop (also available on iPhones and android phones) called Yoga Studio from Gaiam. It helps me tremendously. Just a few minutes every morning, and I feel relaxed and empowered to go through the day. The trick to meditation is to completely clear your mind, like when you turn off the TV and there's nothing there, that's what you have to do with your mind. Empty it. Close your eyes, focus on your slow natural breathing. For those few moments, there's nothing else existing in the universe, just you and your breathing. Put all your worries in the garbage. And throughout your day, embrace all the good things around you, the air you breathe, the sun, the rain, appreciate the little things. Life is all up and downs. To all who are suffering from anxiety, depression, panic attacks, I feel you, I have been there. I even stopped believing in God because of it. And then it dawned on me. Since I had no expectations anymore, anything good, however small is considered as a plus for me. Since I realized that only I can help myself, I stopped crying about it and took charge of it. There is always the risk of failure, but I will keep trying, everything I can, whether it's my diet, or exercise, or getting medical help, or even changing my entire lifestyle... For as long as I am still breathing and my children need me, I will keep trying to get better. And so shall all of you. Never give up. Stay blessed.
• Florence, Kentucky
I've tried yoga and what not too. And meditation. Thank you for the tips. I hope i can keep it under control eventually. My fear is so stupid.
Mine got to the point where I felt like I was having a heart attack and dying every day. An acquaintance kindly suggested her psychiatrist. I went to him, he got me on the right anti-anxiety meds, and I haven't had another one in 2 years. Best thing I've ever done for myself.
• Florence, Kentucky
Lucky. The therapist in ky really suck. I only get 10 anti anxiety meds a month.
@Jazzyb00 the ones I am on are non-habit forming. Neurontin and Topamax
• Florence, Kentucky
@NJChicaa I've never heard of those. I take Lorazapam (Adivan) for my anxiety
@atoz1to10 (6856)
What is the reason for you to have this anxiety attack? The only way for it to go away will be facing it. But it takes time. Slowly it will go away... Goodluck.
• Florence, Kentucky
The main thing my mind goes to when having an attack is I don't want to throw up. It's my worst fear. But stress and what not leads up to the actual attack
I take medication for this.
• Florence, Kentucky
Me too
My uncle deals with these all the time. The best way i have seen. Was dont get to worked up when your having one and take slow deep breaths. If its to bad seek medical treatment
• Florence, Kentucky
I take medicine as needed. My anxiety is different from others. I don't have the breathing problems. More of just pure panic and fear to where i start shaking and cant calm down. Its hard to explain.
Try to relax a bit more. Condition yourself That nothing good will happen if we are paralyzed To Help someon.
• Florence, Kentucky
I try. But i need a job and then I'm scared that I'll panic and get fired and it's just hard adulting..
@Beatburn (3923)
What happens before the attack comes? What could be the triggers?
• Florence, Kentucky
Well any situation where vomit is possible or present is a trigger. Amusement parks, new restaurant, sick people, etc. Other times there's no trigger, it just hits me out of nowhere. That happens a lot when shopping.
@Beatburn (3923)
@Beatburn (3923)
@Metalchick (1387)
Sorry to hear you are suffering with anxiety. I have been affected with this recently too and after visiting my doctor they put me on Sertraline. It has helped a little but didn't want to be on these long so am trying out a herb supplement instead....Rhodolia Rosea or 5-HTP.
• Florence, Kentucky
What is that?
@Jazzyb00 Sertraline was medication the doctor put me on but found it gave me a lot of strange nightmares. Much prefer the herbal and amino acid options.
• Florence, Kentucky
@Metalchick i have very vivid dreams/nightmares almost every night. Sometimes i wake up exhausted or sweating. It feels like an out of body experience. Ik that sounds crazy lol
Hi, I've had anxiety attacks for 20 yrs. I'm currently on medication which helps but it's still there. Have you tried deep breathing and relaxation exercises? Deep breathing can really help when you're having an attack. There are also some natural medications you could try.
• Florence, Kentucky
The breathing doesn't help bc my anxiety is focused on my stomach and nausea and just pure fear. It like my heart dropping over and over from something popping out and scaring me. It's hard to explain.
@Jazzyb00 I do know what you mean. Have you seen your doctor? They might be able to give you something to help.
• Florence, Kentucky
@wildspirit37 I can't count how many psychiatrists I've seen since i was 8 yrs old. They all suck. They just sit and stare at me. It's aggravating
What do you describe your crippling anxiety triggers are @Jazzyb00 ? and hello btw
• Florence, Kentucky
Well any situation where vomit is possible or present is a trigger. Amusement parks, new restaurant, sick people, etc. Other times there's no trigger, it just hits"me out of nowhere. That happens a lot when shopping.
Hey there @Jazzyb00 I did not hear back from you when I answered your post on Feb 6th 2017, so I am curious are you still being attacked by bouts of anxiety these days ?