Favorite "Light" Songs #3 - "Light My Fire"

Colorado Springs, Colorado
It's time for #3 in my Favorite "Light" Songs series, and it's a classic: "Light My Fire" by The Doors, who are actually making their first appearance in one of my music countdowns. Legendary rock band The Doors formed in Los Angeles in 1965, and lasted until 1973. The group certainly made the most of those eight years, however. Seven of their eight studio albums reached Top 10 on the Billboard 200 chart, and achieved Platinum or better sales (The Doors were the first American band with eight consecutive Gold and Platinum albums.) Rock and Roll Hall of Famer's, The Doors have sold over 100 million records worldwide. A heavily edited single from their 1967 self titled debut (which is in both The Grammy Hall of Fame and The National Recording Registry,) "Light My Fire" (also in The Grammy Hall of Fame) is the band's biggest selling single, a Gold record that stayed atop the Billboard Hot 100 for three weeks. But you definitely do not want to listen to THAT version, because the best parts were edited down for radio purposes. You can only listen to "Light My Fire" in the way it was intended: from the album. Put it this way: Vocalist Jim Morrison was one of rock music's all time mesmerizing figures, but it was keyboardist Ray Manzarek that did it for me. Ever notice that The Doors didn't have a bassist? Manzarek played the baselines with his left hand while playing his keyboard parts with his right. Session musicians were used to enhance the bass in the recording studio, but in concert, it was all Manzarek. And the late keyboardist absolutely owns "Light My Fire" with some of the most classic keyboard work ever. (Thank you for working your way through the longest paragraph ever written just now!) (R.I.P. Jim and Ray. Thanks for the legendary music.) (Info verified by Wikipedia)
"Light My Fire" is a song originally performed by The Doors which was recorded in August 1966 and released the first week of January 1967. It spent three wee...
• Preston, England
Loved the Doors - also llike the gentler Labi Siffre cover version of Light My Fire
Haven't heard that one. I know Jose Feliciano won a Grammy for his version. Off to listen!
• Preston, England
@teamfreak16 another great version
I can't add anything. The Doors "Light My Fire" says it all.
I was kind of surprised to learn that Robbie Krieger wrote the bulk of it.
Learned today that all versions (except the 45) of this up to the 40th anniversary release of their first album have 'Light My Fire' playing at 3.5% slower than it was actually performed by the band. Also, the RIAA calculations that put this as 'Gold' were changed in later years...a million-selling single is now considered Platinum, although since the criteria were changed after this was released, it never got awarded Platinum
Really? I wonder why they didn't slow down the 45. Interesting.
@teamfreak16 Mastered on different tape machines, it wasn't done on purpose
@JolietJake - That makes sense.
@Ronrybs (7302)
• London, England
It wasn't till I read this that I realised that I've not heard this one for long while. Have to do something about that!
Just make sure that you don't listen to the radio edit!
@Ronrybs (7302)
• London, England
@teamfreak16 There's a thought, not sure which one I have
I love the doors! One of my all time fav groups.
Truly one of the best bands ever.
Great choice love the Doors. I used to walk around singing that song Hello I love you, won't you tell me you name lol.
Such a great band!
This is a great song. Even I know this one! :)
I get one right every so often!
I saw The Doors in concert in Chicago during my senior year of high school. I had to ask my date what that strange smell happened to be that filled the auditorium. Boy, was I clueless. Things got wild when people started throwing chairs off the balcony near the end of the concert. Glad we made it out of there in one piece.
Sounds like the concert of a lifetime! I was only three when this came out, so I never got to see them. Needless to say, I am envious.
I guess I am not born yet at that time that is why I have no idea about the song and the artist. But my dad usually listen to old music so maybe I heard it already I just don't know it is the song you are telling us. God bless.
I'm going to guess that your dad has probably heard this before!
yes,this I remember very well there.
I thought you might!