Oxygen Deficiency

@nanette64 (17069)
Fairfield, Texas
I've been trying to tell my doctor for months that I need an oxygen machine for therapy because just walking around my property (16 1/2 acres) I have to stop about every 100 yards; bend over with my hands on my knees to breathe. Did he listen? Hell no; because as a patient we are all stupid as rocks while they walk on water. He did authorize an inhaler; which is fine, but it doesn't approach the underlying problem. The insurance won't cover it unless you're almost dead; but little did I know that had the doctor done an oxygen TEST, I would have failed it. So I forced him to do the test. It requires you to walk for 6 minutes while wearing a thingy-pooper on your finger to measure the results. After 3 minutes my oxygen level dropped from 98% to 61% and my fingernails were blue. Well duh!!! That's what I've been trying to tell him. They stopped the test before having to administer CPR. Ya think?!!!!! So now I'll be able to get the portable, oxygen unit. Maybe now with additional oxygen in my system, I won't continue to lose muscle and tissue mass. Oh and I had lost another 3 pounds just since last week. 113 down to 110. Another serious indicator that there was a problem. Damn doctors.!!!!
@stbrians (11790)
• Kakamega, Kenya
When sick we are under the mercy of the doctor
@nanette64 (17069)
• Fairfield, Texas
Especially in areas where you are @stbrians .
It is a shame that getting the right care, more often than not, requires the patient to fight for it. So glad you put up a good fight and got what you needed. I trust no doctor or health care professional these days.
We had some lousy docs in TN - but the one we have now - a local guy born and raised - is really good. He listens to you and that's important. He spends as much time with patients as necessary. He doesn't overbook, we very seldom wait long to get in. There are good one you just have to find them.
@nanette64 (17069)
• Fairfield, Texas
It took me a while to get that ding-a-ling to listen @Corbin5 . I look at it this way; I PAY them and the insurance companies PAY them, so they need to listen.
@nanette64 (17069)
• Fairfield, Texas
@AbbyGreenhill He sounds like such a great guy. I already left one doctor because he wouldn't adjust my thyroid med after the results were off the chart.
well you got the answer there.Good luck there.
Yes, and good luck
Will you get an oxygen flask to carry on your back or one to roll around in a trolley?
@nanette64 (17069)
• Fairfield, Texas
It will be like having a purse with a shoulder strap @MALUSE .
@nanette64 That doesn't sound too bad all things considered.
@nanette64 (17069)
• Fairfield, Texas
@MALUSE Definitely easier to handle and tote around.
We had 20 acres that we just sold and I could walk it only because it was flat...anything with hills forget. So how long now to you wait for that machine?
@nanette64 (17069)
• Fairfield, Texas
Mine is mostly flat except for the stock pond and creek areas as well as the deeper woods @AbbyGreenhill . I'm not sure how long, but I wouldn't think longer than 7-10 days.
@nanette64 Good luck when you get it.
@nanette64 (17069)
• Fairfield, Texas
@AbbyGreenhill I might even do a dancing jiggle
Glad that you did insist.
@nanette64 (17069)
• Fairfield, Texas
Me too, otherwise who knows what might have happened @marlina .
@nanette64 That's right. We know our bodies the best!
@silvermist (19800)
@nanette64 That is a real problem everywhere.You are seriously telling them your symptoms and they do not even listen.Here too most doctors are like that.Frustrating.
@nanette64 (17069)
• Fairfield, Texas
And the thing of it is is that you know your own body and know when something is wrong @silvermist .
@silvermist (19800)
@nanette64 But the doctors are reluctant to admit that.
@nanette64 (17069)
• Fairfield, Texas
@silvermist That's only because we don't have those special initials behind our last name. PHD, MD, DO, ENT, etc.....
@FayeHazel (16269)
Its too bad that they don't listen better. Good for you for sticking up for yourself. What is your condition?
@nanette64 (17069)
• Fairfield, Texas
COPD @FayeHazel .
@FayeHazel (16269)
@nanette64 I am sorry to hear you needed to struggle with them like that.... as if having copd isn't likely struggle enough
I'm glad he finally tested you and you have the oxygen you need now.
@nanette64 (17069)
• Fairfield, Texas
Me too @just4him . I should have handed him a note saying, "See? I'm not as stupid as you think I am."
@nanette64 Just maybe he will listen to you from now on since you were proven right.
So now you will get the oygen and that will help you a lot.
@nanette64 (17069)
• Fairfield, Texas
yeehaw @jstory07
@antonbunot (9509)
• Calgary, Alberta
@nanette64 . . What is the cause of oxygen deficiency?! I will be 60 next month . . I exercise daily like doing 50 push-ups (twice) in the morning and another 50 (twice) before going to bed at night but I don't feel like losing oxygen in my body . . .
@nanette64 (17069)
• Fairfield, Texas
Mine is from COPD @antonbunot which is caused from smoking for 44 years; so I think you're safe there.
I sure hope you don't smoke, that sure wood complicate things. As for docs, seems to me all they want it a paycheck from our insurance companies, never mind if what they tell us to do does any good.
It appears that you have to be your own best advocate with that doctor of yours. I am happy he finally to you seriously and will receive your portable oxygen.
@diosabella (4822)
That's a lot of land to cover. My friend have a mini clinic in his house. He also have his own oxygen machine due to his heart problem. I hope everything will be fine with you. Maybe you should get another doctor since he's not a good listener and he's not providing you with proper care.
I am sorry to hear this Nanette. Aren't those doctors butts for sure? Appalling that they had to go to those lengths to believe you.
Oh sheesh Nanette, that sounds like negligence to me.
@KrauseHome (34982)
Glad that this was at least the first to finding out what might be all wrong. And glad you got someone to listen finally. Something I might have them look into as Fresh oxygen also helps wounds heal and helps with Fibro so I might be starting some research myself. Wishing you the Best on all your Health.
@hostessman (8832)
• Tucson, Arizona
hi stranger havn't seen you for awhile. I hope everything goes well with the oxygen and all