Unusual Valentine's Day Gift Idea

candied jalapenos
Austin, Texas
Only in Texas. Bet nobody else has ever heard of this as a gift for Valentine's Day. Heard an advertisement on my car radio. Most of the time the radio is just on for the noise. Apologies. Can't remember the advertiser. But I clearly remember the V-Day gift suggestions. For those in a committed and loyal relationship, the typical box of chocolates is recommended. For the flaky significant others who don't want to make a commitment? Candied Jalapeño peppers. I didn't even know there was a such a thing. I went and looked up a recipe! They are on the shelf at our local grocery store here in Austin, Texas; although I never noticed them!
There aren't words that exist to describe how addictive these little savoury, sweet, spicy, crunchy, garlicky pickled jalapeno rounds are. Put them on sandwiches, tacos, rice or bake them into cornbread. You'll need more and more!
@JustBhem (24453)
• Davao, Philippines
Is that tasty? Why not chocolates instead of that?
• Austin, Texas
It's an acquired taste. You either like you or you don't. My husband hates anything sweet AND spicy. Has to be either sweet OR spicy (or hot).
@JustBhem (24453)
• Davao, Philippines
@cmoneyspinner Sweet will do for me.
Holy cow, I don't think anyone I know would wanna eat those, I love jalapenos like those stuffed with cheese or in a salsa ..... but Candied? Uhhh, nope, I don't think so.
• Austin, Texas
Lived in El Paso. Don't remember ever seeing or hearing about candied jalapenos when I was there.
You're right, I've been here 57 years and have never seen them but we do see the pricky pear jelly once in a while @cmoneyspinner do you have that in Austin?
• Austin, Texas
@rebelann - I have heard of pricky pear jelly. But I've never seen it. How would you describe the flavor?
@stbrians (11835)
• Kakamega, Kenya
This is a great valentine gift. You have got lost from me my friend. I do not get you here
• Austin, Texas
You're from Africa. I'm sure you would love it! In America, peppers is not the type of gift we would normally give for Valentine's Day.
@stbrians (11835)
• Kakamega, Kenya
@cmoneyspinner that is true. Is that Blog Bourne still up
• Austin, Texas
@stbrians - I checked and my profile is till online. But I am not active there. My newest site for writing is Niume.
It is a unique Valentine's Day Gift! Sounds like it tastes well.
• Austin, Texas
I have never tried it. But now that I know there is such a thing, my only question is: Should I buy a popular brand from the grocery store or dare to try to make my own? Life is full of so many tough decisions.
@cmoneyspinner You might as well have a go at making your own Candied Jalapeño peppers.
@fishtiger58 (30617)
• Momence, Illinois
Yea doesn't sound like my cup of tea, but I love the For the flaky significant other comment way funny
• Austin, Texas
I thought it was funny when I heard it too!
@fishtiger58 (30617)
• Momence, Illinois
@PatZAnthony (11905)
• Charlotte, North Carolina
Candied Jalapenos is a new one on me! Not my taste, but we do know some who would love these.
• Austin, Texas
I also just found out about crispy jalapenos. I think I would love them both - either /or - on a salad.
This sounds interesting, thank your for the link, I have Jalapenos peppers in the freezers, I usually grow them in summer I want to try this recipe.
• Austin, Texas
OK! I hope you like it!
That sounds a bit 'out there'. :)
• Austin, Texas
I sure would have never connected peppers and Valentine's Day.