If you were the agents - would you be willing to give a little for a good deal?

We have one more property on the market. It's a decent size, 12 1/3 acres in the country....very private. We have had a few offers, but none worth it until today, maybe. The other agent is making the deal for a 'relative' and made us an offer which we countered, splitting the difference from asking price and what the offer was. Meaning, we met them in the middle. Well, she doesn't think the relative will go that high and wants us to drop our price another thousand dollars. I told our agent (who owns the agency by the way so he can do as he likes) that if he and the other agent are willing to drop the commission by 1 percent then we would take their offer. He said he will pose it to the other agent...we are not talking a lot of money - if the two agents each cut their commission by 1/2 percent they would get a little more than $300 less. We will lose money on the sale no matter what since we overpaid for it when we bought it due to the fact we used the seller's agent instead of getting our own - our fault for sure. But since we are going in the hole for several thousands of dollars even at our counter offer, if they can't give up a few hundred then no deal. Oh - the 'relative' the agent is working for is her x-husband so she is trying to get him a good deal and on top of that she'll make a commission. What would you do - would you give up a few hundred to make the deal if you were the two agents involved? Photo is mine.
@Morleyhunt (15947)
I would, but not every real estate agent has the same outlook.. We have dealt with some shysters and some really dood one.
The last property he sold for us he told the other agent the wrong commission so he wound up giving the other guy 2 percent of his so that they could get the deal done. We've had some idiots over the years. We've bought and sold 5 homes since 2001 - bought several properties and sold all but this one...different agents, some nice so words I can't use here.
@Morleyhunt (15947)
@AbbyGreenhill I hear you. The first home we purchased in 1975... We dealt with an unscrupulous real estate agent. She fed us so much BS. Too bad we were naive and believed her. It was a long time before I would listen to another realtor. We have a really good one now.
@Morleyhunt We are still friends with the agent who sold our first home in TN, and the agent who sold us the previous home to this one. And he is no longer an agent but recommended the current one.
@CoralLevang (39862)
That looks like an idyllic piece of property. I hope that things go well and that you can come to a deal that works for you.
Thanks...that's just the very front - it goes back 3,000 feet and it's very private.
@CoralLevang (39862)
@AbbyGreenhill I love the trees
@CoralLevang Years ago, like maybe 12 or so it was all pines - acres and acres owned by a local paper mill. Once they were down with some they sold it off and some local dude bought like 70 or more acres and subdivided. Our 12 were all cleared except for a few in front by the road and some along both side. It is loaded with deer and turkey.
Yes , if I were the agent, I would cut the commission for sure.
They agreed to that, now just waiting for buyer to make up his mind.
I would, money is money
Well, we made the counter offer official with them giving up 1/2 percentage point each...now to get the buyer on board !
I definitely would cut commission to make that deal if I were the agents involved
I am sure our guy would but the other agent (who also works for him by he way) not sure what she will do.
@LoriAMoore (9745)
Yes, if I were the agent I'd take the cut. Something is better than nothing.
I hope the other agent thinks that way - we'll see. I'm not counting on it then I won't be too disappointed.
Yes, I would surely do and I think that they will accept.
you know the rest of the story as far as it is right now.
@AbbyGreenhill Yes, I have read that they have accepted, now you are waiting for the possible buyer to decide.
@LadyDuck Yes....
@PatZAnthony (11730)
• Charlotte, North Carolina
Cutting the commission would be a good idea it seems to me. There was a time when we would have jumped on that piece of land!
We were told years ago - buy land for investment - we did and are going in the hole selling it LOL! This one was harder to sell since it's a very odd shape, narrow but goes back 3000 feet.
@PatZAnthony (11730)
• Charlotte, North Carolina
@AbbyGreenhill We were looking for land in TN a few years ago. Now, warmer weather would be appreciated.
@PatZAnthony It's not much warmer here than where you are.
I would also.Take the cut if you can.Good luck
The agents agreed to cut 1 percent.
O don't think so if I really lost on buying it first I would rather to deal right on the second time. If you can wait maybe you can find a new agent for that. People who live in our area and selling houses they have different agents and go with the rightful amount for everyone.
This is the third agency we've used over 5 years. The deal is signed.
@UncleJoe (8099)
• Virginia Beach, Virginia
Only if I was a good agent.
Ha , you would be a fun agent that's for sure.
@valmnz (12622)
• New Zealand
Oh you do make it all sound so complicated! I think property sales may be less complicated here in New Zealand.
It isn't complicated except for the people who make it that way.
I probably would. I hope the sale goes ahead for your sakes.
They agreed, now waiting buyer to accept.
@reskyyandi (3841)
No, I don't have any idea with that