Like my husband needs another hole in his head!

My husband had his annual dental checkup yesterday morning. When he got home he said, "Guess what, I have to go to an oral surgeon?" It seems after considerable deliberation by the dentist there is a tooth that he cannot save. The tooth is literally hanging on by a thread. It doesn't hurt since it is a root canal tooth. Maybe since it's so loose it will be easier to pull out. I can make fun since it's not my tooth! The oral surgery group has a website so I went to it and printed out all the forms necessary for the visit - you know, family history and all that jazz. They talk a lot about financial, but they don't give any indication on the website what it will actually cost. Our dental insurance isn't the best so we know we'll be "mouthing the bill" - sorta like 'footing the bill" Ha Ha. Oh well, I will have to enter the land of the living and go with him. Sometimes if you turn him around twice he gets lost and this group is located in an area we've never been before. We don't use GPS, but I did a BING search and have the directions I don't know what I'll be having for dinner but I know my husband will be having liquids, soup for dinner and then beer later! Photo from Pixabay
• Denmark
I've just come back from the dentist's. I was there only for cleaning my teeth. But a big thing is waiting for me in the near future, namely, two bridges will have to come out because one 'pillar' is wobbly under each of them. Then I'll get implants.
He is lucky to have many of his own teeth. I asked if he will get a 'fake' tooth - he said at 74 why bother. I have gum disease so I'm at the dentist for cleanings every three months - I mean cleanings where he digs down deep and makes me hurt.
• Greece
You'll only get implants if your bone is strong enough. My bones were thin so I could not have it done unless I had bone construction which involved bone tissue from someone else. I did not fancy that. Good luck with yours.
• Greece
@AbbyGreenhill I had one of those dreadful cleaning jobs done last week. Came home quite bloodied by it all.
Good luck with this. We've both been having dental treatment lately and haven't finished yet.
He has been lucky. He's tough he'll be fine - I will be worrying!
@UncleJoe (8069)
• Virginia Beach, Virginia
My father got so tired of soups and shakes after oral surgery. That's when he got the idea to go ahead and grill himself a steak, which he then pureed in a blender. LOL True story.
Really, now that's a thought!!! I think my husband will chew just not on that side.
@UncleJoe (8069)
• Virginia Beach, Virginia
@AbbyGreenhill He won't have to chew at all if it's pureed.
@UncleJoe I might as well just give him some ground beef and save the good steak for me!!!
@HazySue (16607)
I am always a little leery when they offer payment plans and don't mention the cost. Poor hubby.
Oh well, it is what it is - or what it will be. He won't let me pull it LOL!
@HazySue (16607)
@AbbyGreenhill I think if he did let you pull it you would have more fun than he would. Think of the money you would save,
@shshiju (9187)
• Cochin, India
Dental problems should fixed timely and it is important to keep health. In India especially Kerala dental treatment is very cheap compared to many countries and it cause a new trend dental tourism.
Maybe I should send hi to India for dental work p but the cost to get there would b e very high
@shshiju (9187)
• Cochin, India
@AbbyGreenhill I don't mean that but when you came to India attach your dental treatment also.
@Daljinder (19767)
Oooh! Scary scary dentist.
I would be scared of this, not my husband.
all the good liquid there.Soup is good.
He bought a giant size can and he's gonna eat it all!
@AbbyGreenhill are you serious.A huge one.Your not going to help him.LOL
@amadeo He ate half of it plus a chocolate milkshake. They wanted him to eat to coat his tummy in case he needs a pain pill.
@inertia4 (26901)
The medical in this country sucks compared to other countries. We should have a full universal healthcare system here. Only problem is, america is all about big bucks. And greed. We, the people, suffer for it. I hope things go okay for your husband.
We don't spend much on him dental-wise. So this won't be cheap I' sure but a necessity. It will be interesting to see what our lousy dental plan will pay.
@inertia4 (26901)
@AbbyGreenhill Tell me about it. I have a hard time as well with dental. And now that they have unveiled their new medical plan, it is going to be a disaster. Millions will lose coverage.
@inertia4 Thank God we have private insurance.
@fishtiger58 (30304)
• Momence, Illinois
Funny they don't tell you the cost. I hope you are not surprised in a horrible way. The last time I checked on what a tooth costs to extract I was shocked to find some dentists charge 300 dollars. Oh man are they kidding I remember when it was like 40 bucks for that. I hope you enjoy you dinner and hubby doesn't get too jealous watching you eat lol.
Based on other things, I would assume this will be closer to 600 hundred or more. I'll eat in the closet so he won't see me LOL!
@fishtiger58 (30304)
• Momence, Illinois
@AbbyGreenhill 600 bucks what a racket, bring a light with you into that closet.
@fishtiger58 LOL - our closets have lights.
@LeaPea2417 (14594)
• Toccoa, Georgia
I am sorry about that. Lately, ( in the past year) my husband has had to have root canals and certain teeth crowned. And like you, our insurance is ok but not the best. We just had to pay 600 dollars for his latest Crown that he had done 3 or 4 weeks ago.
Turned out his ins. paid the whole bill...we had to only pay 15 copay
@LeaPea2417 (14594)
• Toccoa, Georgia
@AbbyGreenhill That is real good.
@LeaPea2417 I am glad today is over !!
It should not cost a fortune to remove a loose tooth, I know that the bill was not bad when I had to pull out one of my wisdom tooth.
Insurance paid the whole amount except for our $15 co-pay. That was a relief!
@AbbyGreenhill I am glad the insurance paid.
@tom_view (2530)
• Kolkata, India
it feels bad to go to a dentist.
But it is a necessity.
yeah, tooth stuff is always stupid expensive
Yes, an evil necessity.
Hope the dentist visit is a quick and easy one (especially if the tooth is hanging on by a thread) and that the cost isn't worse than the procedure.
It will only hurt me in the wallet LOL! He's a big boy, he can deal with it.
Anything to do with dental work makes me shudder!
Me too and I worry more when it's his dental work!
Poor husband!
I think it bothers me more than it bothers him. The first tooth he had pulled in TN the dentist left a piece and he pulled it out with pliers.
dental problems no fun
He didn't have a problem until the dentist told him . He said it never hurt him.
• Greece
He's a lucky man to have such a supportive wife. If the tooth is hanging on by a thread it won't need any surgery to get it out. So maybe it will not be too costly a job.
We hope that is truly the case. I don't think any 'cutting' will be involved. And my husband has small teeth LOL!
Our husband should be thankful to us for being strong women that can help them go through things such as this. Hubby can sometimes be stubborn, I have to prod him to have a check up whenever he keeps complaining that his this and that hurts.
My husband is always grateful for me LOL!
@AbbyGreenhill I am sure he is.
@ridingbet (36277)
we here are advised to take something cold after tooth extraction. this will eventually stop the bleeding since cold causes vasoconstriction
He had very little bleeding, which was a surprise.
@ridingbet (36277)
@AbbyGreenhill that is good. did he take a medicine to control bleeding even before the tooth was extracted?