Fiction - short story - Bon Appetit - Part IV

Bunbury, Australia
Here is Part IV of a comic short story which I'm entering for a competition. Click on any of the green boxes at the top of the post and you'll get taken to the other parts. Bon Appetit It was soon after this that he came home one night said “I’m taking up lessons in self-defence”. I stared at him. I hadn’t thought I was an aggressive person. He could do with some lessons in communication but hardly self-defence. The whole thing seemed a bit odd. "Self-defence?” I asked. He nodded. "Tai Kwon Do?” I asked. He shook his head emphatically. "Ju-jitsu?’ Another shake of the head. “Judo?” “No, no,” he said. “No. You’ve got the completely wrong idea. Lessons in self-defence – before you kill me with your cooking. I’m taking cooking lessons. Starting next Tuesday. Blokes in the Kitchen, it’s called.” I was a tiny bit hurt – for about ten seconds. But then – it struck me. This was what my life needed! A cook! But a ‘someone else’ cook. A ‘someone other than me’ cook. Quentin went off to his lessons. He didn't say much about them for a while but he seemed to enjoy them so I didn't pry too much. However I became very worried when he came home one evening and said he had met the perfect woman. I thought he had already met her – me! Now he was saying there was someone else! I must have looked a bit nonplussed as he hastened into his story about this 'perfect woman' that he'd met. At the Blokes in the Kitchen cooking lessons, Adam was the chef. He was a good teacher apparently, never assuming that his students could boil water or knew how to peel an onion. He went over each process carefully, never taking anything for granted. Adam had an off-sider, a woman called Eve. My eyebrows shot up at this point but Quentin assured me that was their real names, Adam and Eve. It seemed Eve was an absolute gem. She provided each instrument as Adam called for it much like the staff in an operating theatre although instead of 'scalpel' or 'sutures' it was 'skewer' or 'skillet'. Eve also gathered up the used utensils and washed them quickly and quietly. Another of her duties was to plate up samples of the demonstrated dishes and pass them around for tasting. But – and here Quentin got to the end of his soliloquy, raised his eyes heavenwards, placed his hands in an attitude of reverence and informed me in hushed tones that, throughout the whole evening, she never said a word. He expected me to be equally impressed but personally I was thinking what a traitor Eve was to our fair sex. However I did manage to keep my mouth closed.
Here is Part III of a comic short story which I'm entering for a competition. Click on any of the green boxes at the top of the post and you'll get taken to the...
@Morleyhunt (16802)
I'm off for a couple of hours. Waiting to see what happens next.
They are all up now and I'm off to bed. Look forward to catching up tomorrow.
@Morleyhunt (16802)
@JudyEv found and read them all. I enjoyed the story.
@Morleyhunt Thanks. I'm glad you enjoyed it.
@silvermist (15794)
@JudyEv I like the way it is progressing.Where is instalment 5? Okay,found it.
Nearly at the end. I'm so pleased you aren't sighing and saying 'how much longer'.
@silvermist (15794)
@JudyEv No I like reading short stories(even if they are long).But yours is not very long.
@silvermist In the end I just cut out a few 'set-up' paragraphs at the beginning.
Adam and Eve - they seem perfect together.
They complement each other don't they?
@JudyEv They certainly do.
@Gillygirl (15297)
• Sutton, England
Well would you Adam and Eve it. I can't quite believe that you are basing this story on you and Vince. I think my hubby would appreciate an Eve who followed his instructions and stays quiet. Mine always prepares fish as I cannot bear to.
Very loosely based And then highly exaggerated!
@Gillygirl (15297)
• Sutton, England
@JudyEv The exaggeration is excellent.
@Gillygirl Thanks. :)
If it makes you feel any better, Adam and Eve sound like my husband and I, because other than a few dishes, I really can't cook either and find myself bringing him the "tools" to do his cooking.
And do you have to find things for him when he can't?
@JudyEv Yes, because I am the one who organizes the kitchen. lol
• Portland, Connecticut
You have me hooked I can't quite guess where this is going.
Hooks are always good!
@RubyHawk (21393)
• Atlanta, Georgia
I feel sure the Eve's are long gone. and I say good riddance.
Yes, we don't want too many of her type around do we?
@moffittjc (35772)
• Gainesville, Florida
This story keeps getting better! I am starting to get the hint that you can't cook! Oh wait, this is fiction! It is fiction, right? Please tell me you really can cook! haha
Everyone seems to think this is about Vince and me! I ain't telling! Well, some of it is based on fact but then highly exaggerated. You have to get your ideas from somewhere! (Did you notice I dodged the 'please tell me you can cook' bit?)
bwhahahaha, yeah, sounds like he is pushing to get to cook, alone, all of the time
It does, doesn't it? :)
@Fleura (6226)
I was going to ask why your husband didn't do the cooking if he didn't like your efforts!
It's fiction - F I C T I O N!! I don't think you believe me!
@CRK109 (14351)
roflmao!!!!! This is wonderful!
I'd be devastated if no-one found it funny.
@ptrikha_2 (5796)
Quite interesting and well written!
Thank you. I'm glad you enjoyed it.
@ptrikha_2 (5796)
@JudyEv And I keep on coming back to check the discussions again and again.
@ptrikha_2 (5796)
@JudyEv Your story series ought to get the award of the "Story Of the year" here on Mylot.