Joel Osteen - T.V. Preacher

Anniston, Alabama
For those of you here that believe in God, everyone has a choice to believe in what they want to, I am not a judge. I have read what some Christians and non Christians say about Joel. That he should sell that huge church and give the money to the poor people and preach out of a small church. That he should not OWN a nice huge home, he should sell his house and live in a small house and give that money to the poor. Now my thoughts are a little like this : Joel Osteen also writes books, inspirational books about God, He goes through the same channels as any writer and he sells those books. That is what he used to pay for his home, the money he "earned" from the books. The church is a place to gather and worship God, our heavenly father. I think its awesome that SO many people have gathered to listen to the word of God. I have no problem with how "big" or small a church is, never have. Another thing I noticed about the people who say things about what others have worked hard to earn is ; They would not spit on anyone if they were on fire. They will not get off their butts and go to work to get what they want, they are "waiting for a handout." When at their house and you said " I am getting hungry" they just say " me too" but do NOT say " lets see what we can find to cook" and lead you to their kitchen. Maybe its just me..... I think people should work for what they want, if you want something get up and go get it, no matter how long it takes working every day. And if they have to, put down that $500 phone and work! No they want to throw down on people, even the T.V. preacher, because they are working for what they want in life. What is your view on this?
@FourWalls (9920)
Comparing two individuals who held a 'revival' in town: Billy Graham charged nothing for people to attend. Joel Olsteen charged $25. I have seen nothing in Olsteen's messages (granted, I don't sit and watch him, and any of my encounters with him since I did listen to what he's saying are accidental) that promote anything but Joel Olsteen. Balaam threw God's name around to make it appear that he was a believer, but in Jude 11 we are told Balaam was not of God because his ways were "in error" and "for profit." Sounds just like ol' "name-it-and-claim-it" Olsteen to me.
This is the first I ever heard of Joel Osteen charging. I am not nor have I ever been a Billy Graham fan. BUT maybe he charged instead of the collection plate and it went to the children they help over in Africa?
@FourWalls (9920)
@andriaperry -- living in a ten million dollar mansion? Yeah. Here's another instance of him charging. He's also charging in Sacramento and Norfolk later this year.
Las Vegas’ hottest new sports and entertainment venue, located just west of the famed Las Vegas Strip, will be officially named T-Mobile Arena.
If you want things in life you have to work for them. I have worked hard all my life for what I have. I may not have much but what I do have I worked for. People shouldn't sit back and expect handouts.
That is exactly how I got what I have , hard work.
I do not have a view on this.But I do not like him.He turns me off.Glad that you enjoy .Not me.
Thanks, to each his own, right?
@andriaperry yes also a rose must remain.LOL
@FayeHazel (11583)
I think I caught one of his services once - I enjoyed his style of preaching. That said I think if he has another job - writing books, doing presentations - of course he should get paid for his work and he should live in whatever comfort he can afford, though I also think it would be wise (not needed but wise) to err on the side of nice-but-modest ... people otherwise may assume (wrongly or not) that instead of buying these things with his own earnings- that he is using donation funds. Of course that may be totally incorrect but it an added risk for people in his situation I think.
The IRS watch closely since Jim and Tammy Faye Baker.
@UncleJoe (8531)
• Virginia Beach, Virginia
The first thing to look at is WHO is doing the criticizing. I remember a couple of guys on my pipe crew that were always saying how stupid the company owner was. That was funny considering who sat in a nice clean office and made lots of money and who was in a muddy ditch making $9 an hour.
LOL, I love your points of view!
• Portland, Connecticut
I think it is his business and as long as he inspires people he is doing gods work. I don't judge
I agree.
I guess as an athiest, I don't really have an opinion. But in Colorado Springs, on Sunday evenings, they do a street church, where they minister to and feed the homeless and poor. That's how it should be.
I have never heard of this but its a good deed.
I agree! My husband and I have worked hard and invested wisely, just so we could live a wonderful life in retirement. A few people think I'm making up my lifestyle, but tough tooies to them as they sit on their fat, big, behinds and complain.
It is all about making the right decisions with money.
It is their money to do what they want with.
I agree
Even a preacher ican have a nice home(not a mansion) and a nice car. I don't have any problem with that,as long as they are living for God.