Don't Spare the Asparagus- It's Spring!

Toronto, Ontario
One thing I love about Spring is the natural veggies that come out and are in Season. I love asparagus but just cook it the usual way and eat it with a bit of butter, salt and pepper and sometimes- with a sprinkle of parmesan cheese! Next is leeks and love them in a spring soup that my kids used to call green soup! The green soup is usually made up of potatoes and leeks but sometimes I add celery and half a tart apple- very delicious! My other Spring vegetable that is delicious is fiddleheads but- fiddle dee dee- not every grocery carries them so this year I am on the hunt for them! I do love greens and often crave them although I don't eat salads every day. Do you like Spring vegetables and what's your favourite? Time to wake up your green appetite and get strong for those summer storms!
I love asparagus but unfortunately I have to be very careful how much of them I eat because of the high content of vitamin K.
• Toronto, Ontario
I know Vitamin K has some sort of blood clotting or whatever properties and also it helps with calcium absorption, doesn't it?
@marlina Is it because of a blood thinner? From 2000-2002 iI took one and it was hard not eating green vegetables.
@Marty1 Yes, you are right, it is because I have to take Coumadin for life. Very difficult to manage the green stuff.
Fiddleheads? I love asparagus with parmesean and seasoning salt.. Celery is very yum as well. I honestly have to admit I don't eat many veggies.
• Toronto, Ontario
Haha---fiddleheads are not your usual vegetable but are the tender curled part at the top of certain ferns that can be eaten in the Spring! I only just discovered them a while back!
@MarymargII Are they bitter tasting?
@ScribbledAdNauseum, Never tried fiddlehears.
You named my favorites.
• Toronto, Ontario
How about leek and potato soup? The best!
@MarymargII I love leek and potato soup.
I posted yesterday a photo of my asparagus with eggs, this is what we typically eat for Easter.
• Toronto, Ontario
I do love asparagus Anna- tell me how you prepare them- I've eaten asparagus in an omelette but that's about it!
@MarymargII Asparagus must be always steamed first, then you can serve them with eggs topping with melted butter and Parmesan, or add the asparagus to a risotto, even fried asparagus are very good. You have to coat the steamed asparagus in very fine cornmeal and then fry, like you do with the okra.
• Toronto, Ontario
@LadyDuck Sounds delicious- i have boiled them for a few minutes and roasted them but must try these other ways- Steaming sounds perfect!
@marymargll I love asparagus I had a really good back a couple of months ago
• Toronto, Ontario
Spring's a great time to have them as they are less expensive and right in Season!
@MarymargII I wasn't aware they were in season now. Does that mean it is cheaper to buy?
• Toronto, Ontario
@Marty1 Oh yes- now is the absolute best time to buy and eat them! They are in Season!
I also love asparagus
• Toronto, Ontario
And it's so good for you too! Eat up- great in omelettes too!
@MarymargII I've never tried it that way.
Fiddleheads are my favorite. They are always lots around here when they are in season. I can't wait for them to come out.
• Toronto, Ontario
They are so healthy and are only available this time of year- I just like them with a little salt and butter- how do you eat them?
@MarymargII with butter and salt.