Getting Possums out of my garden

@ramapo17 (13135)
Melbourne, Florida
I have spent many weeks and money buying plants and mulch and good soils and I went out to water and I saw so many holes near some of my plants. After trying to figure what was out there, my husband saw possums. They are nocturnal so I never see them. I am not an early riser. Living in the northeast forever, I had to deal with the deer eating my plants, along with other animals eating some and now I thought I was rid of all that and now I have to deal with these critters. If it is not one thing, it is another.
We have squirrels and rabbits that damage flowers. Those critters really do make gardening a struggle.
@ramapo17 (13135)
• Melbourne, Florida
I know. If it is not one thing it is another. Very challenging. I know they are sitting in the bushes waiting for me to go inside the house.
Oh wow! I hope you can find a way to get rid of them and keep them gone. I'm sure the garden centers will have answers for you.
@ramapo17 (13135)
• Melbourne, Florida
Yes, I have to get to one this week.
@ramapo17 It will be interesting to see what the answer to your problem is. I hope it won't be expensive.
@ramapo17 (13135)
• Melbourne, Florida
@just4him I just went outside to water and I found more holes in some of the plants on a table on the patio right near our door. I don't like them so close to my entrance way. I will have to move the plants that are in pots to another place.
If you see one of them in the daytime run, it means they are sick. We had an electric fence around a garden a few years ago - that was the only way to keep them from eating the corn right off the plants.
@ramapo17 (13135)
• Melbourne, Florida
Okay, so they are like raccoons. We were always told the same thing for them. When we lived in the Poconos we lived in the woods and the raccoons would come and visit every night. My husband use to feed them all the time. He got very close to them. We also had the bears then too.
@ramapo17 They can do severe damage to your home, garage, etc. feeding them is not a good idea.
@ramapo17 (13135)
• Melbourne, Florida
@AbbyGreenhill I know. That was in our past, now in Florida, I never see any critters as they come out at night.
@ridingbet (23262)
oh, so i think there is an advantage being a Filipino living here in my country- we don't have possums or deer that may destroy our garden
@ramapo17 (13135)
• Melbourne, Florida
I am sure you don't get any big black bears either, right?
@ridingbet (23262)
@ramapo17 oh yes, surely right my friend. bears don't live here, but only in zoos. hahaha! we have so many stray cats here
@boiboing (11880)
• Northampton, England
Gardening is always a battle against nature.
@ramapo17 (13135)
• Melbourne, Florida
You are so right as I am learning new ways to plant since we moved to the south from the northeast.
I hope your plants will grew and you get to see them grew without critters getting them.
@ramapo17 (13135)
• Melbourne, Florida
I might go out and put some mouth balls or crystals around the plants that they are attracted to. It is funny how they go to some and not others. They don't harm the actual foliage, just dig holes in the dirt that can harm the roots.
@UncleJoe (6353)
• Virginia Beach, Virginia
I would be more concerned about the Ball Pythons and Boa Constrictors that idiot pet owners have turned loose around the St. John's River area for years. They are multiplying and eating all the natural wildlife, including their favorite prey, opossum. They will track that marsupial straight to your garden.
@minx267 (7627)
• Hartford, Connecticut
wow, I wasn't aware that possums dog holes... what is it that they are looking for do you think? I would have suspected other critters first, Squirrels, Rabbits, Woodchucks, chipmunks.. Skunks even.. I think they like grubs.. is that what opossums would go after? hmmm ? will have to look that up... lol