Pixabay Maintenance

By pgn
@pgntwo (16713)
Derry, Northern Ireland
If you're looking for a free-to-use picture for your post today, go elsewhere than Pixabay - there's some system maintenance ongoing that's been taking the site away at short notice on and off all day. Occasionally their site responds with a picture like the upper half of the picture at the top of this post. The lower half of the picture shows the amount of time that Pixabay has been available today. Their Facebook page mentions their maintenance, if you're interested to find out when they're all back:
Pixabay - Free Images, Neu-Ulm, Germany. 363,140 likes. Pixabay is a repository for outstanding public domain images. Find free pictures and share your own photos with the world.
@voyager11 (2361)
Thank you for this information mate.
@pgntwo (16713)
• Derry, Northern Ireland
You're welcome. Do you hail from Australia? I notice you love to use the term "mate" a lot.
@voyager11 (2361)
@pgntwo Nope, from New Zealand we are MORE DOWN UNDER than Australia contrary to popular belief.
@pgntwo (16713)
• Derry, Northern Ireland
@voyager11 Definitely more down-under! You may have seen the Scottish comedian, Billy Connolly there in years past. A similar expression, "pal", is commonly used in Glasgow, where he comes from. It is not always clear whether the use of "pal" after a statement indicates friendliness or aggression. Your use of the term "mate" made me wonder, y'see. "Chum" is another such term. "Dear" seems common in parts of India. Just an observation.
I got a picture from there less than an hour ago, and have used it on my latest post.
@pgntwo (16713)
• Derry, Northern Ireland
It has been intermittent most of the afternoon, as I've been trying to get some images of my own up there - I've had an account there since 2014, I thought "high time I started contributing some material". It isn't easy, the peer review stage (at the link below, if you have an account on pixabay.com) is the devil's own job to get through!
All imagesMedia type All images Photos Vector graphics Illustrations VideosOrientation Horizontal VerticalEffects Animation Slow Motion Time LapseCategoryAllAnimalsArchitecture/BuildingsBackgrounds/TexturesBeauty/FashionBusiness/FinanceComputer/Communicati
@pgntwo I don't have an account there, I just get pictures when I need them.
@pgntwo (16713)
• Derry, Northern Ireland
@jaboUK It's still a bit flaky, as far as I can see:
Check and see if Pixabay is not working for everyone at the moment, explore its historical availability and outage data.
Luckily I don't use this site. It does seem to be a great site though.
Thanks for alerting us to this. Prevents us having to waste time there.
• Ponce De Leon, Florida
If I am going to use a picture, I usually just use one of my own. Easier that way. But because of slower internet now, I haven't been using pictures as much.
@CRK109 (11937)
That's the only site I've used for photos, besides my own. They are worth waiting for!
@pgntwo (16713)
• Derry, Northern Ireland
They are good. I had a photo of mine (finally) approved for display on Pixabay recently. Not easy...
@CRK109 (11937)
@pgntwo wow that's wonderful! I never knew we could try to have our own photos put up there!
@CRK109 (11937)
@pgntwo Okay, I thank you for that warning! With the better weather just about upon us, I'm hoping to get out and about to take more photos anyway. This might be the kick in the butt I need to do just that!
• Midland, Michigan
18h
Huh, that's really odd as I don't know that I've ever seen that before. I don't go there as much as I used to and maybe they've not maintained the site in such a long time that it was long overdue. Hopefully it was only a problem that day and not since then?
@pgntwo (16713)
• Derry, Northern Ireland
8h
Actually theye were doing some maintenance, as I found out when I located their FaceBook page (a place a rarely go, FaceBook!).
• Midland, Michigan
5h
@pgntwo I got that part with what you said. But, what I meant was that may have been the one and only time they'd ever done maintenance and it was well overdo or something?
@pgntwo (16713)
• Derry, Northern Ireland
4h
@MarshaMusselman Not sure - they seem like a legit outfit, I am sure they have times when maintenance is required, and apparently they announce it on FB. Good site, Pixabay.
I am stuck with Wikimedia commons and shall continue being there.
@pgntwo (16713)
• Derry, Northern Ireland
Any reason why? Pixabay has some really good photos.
@pgntwo It started with me this way right from the time I took up writing online.
@pgntwo (16713)
• Derry, Northern Ireland
@allknowing Ah, ok. Whatever works for you ;)
• Rochester, New York
Pixabay is the only place I go to. They have some great photo's there.
@pgntwo (16713)
• Derry, Northern Ireland
Yes, they have an immense array of high quality photos, the place to find a photo for almost any purpose. I think their maintenance is done now, they've been up for the last 90mins without hiccup.
• Rochester, New York
@pgntwo that's good news I'm in need of a few photo's. lol
@pgntwo (16713)
• Derry, Northern Ireland
@LisaSteinmetz Looks like it is fairly stable now, although I saw the Boom page for a few minutes earlier this morning.
@valmnz (11147)
• New Zealand
17h
I'm not sure how log ago you wrte this, but it seems to be working okay at the moment.
@AkoPinay (7962)
I do not use Pixabay images I prefer using image URLs if not my own image sadly we can't attached photo using URLs here
@pgntwo (16713)
• Derry, Northern Ireland
Plus at the Post, but not Respond or Comment, level, you can add a URL and a photo
@UncleJoe (6318)
• Virginia Beach, Virginia
I use pixapay pics for most of my posts. They have a picture of anything I need.
@pgntwo (16713)
• Derry, Northern Ireland
That seems to be a common sentiment here. I had my first photo accepted on Pixabay ay earlier this week, time to give a little back, if I can.
@carebear29 (19165)
• Wausau, Wisconsin
thanks for the update
@pgntwo (16713)
• Derry, Northern Ireland
You are welcome. Love the Ash avatar
I had a strange message pop up fro them but I was still able to find and use a photo.