Interesting Uses For Leftover Coffee

Boise, Idaho
Many of us love our coffee in the morning. It is said that on average Americans spend about $1100 per year on coffee. Do you ever leave some unused coffee in the pot? Here are some unusual ideas on how utilize that leftover coffee instead of pouring it down the drain. 1. Season your chili. You can add a new and different depth of flavor to a pot of chili. 2. Make coffee ice cubes. Pour leftover coffee into a ice cube tray and use them for iced coffee. 3. Feed plants. Acid loving plants such as tomatoes can get an occasional boost when you water the plant with coffee instead of water. 4. Use for crafts. You can create coffee-dyed paper by staining the paper or fabric. Soak these in leftover coffee for a nice, earthy mocha coloring. 5. Scratched furniture repair. Reduce coffee by one half by simmering for awhile. Rub this on scratched dark wood and wipe away the excess with a rag. 6. Flavor brownies, oatmeal, cocoa or frosting by replacing all or part of the milk with leftover coffee.
These last few months I have just been using instant coffee, but prefer the grounds. However, for some reason I no longer am buying it.
We have been using instant. I like the flavor better than the grounds.
@celticeagle Yeah I don't even have a coffee maker anymore, they all broke.
@TiarasOceanView .....Cami is always being given something by these foreigners that won't use stuff. She had a regular coffee maker and one that makes just one cup.
@HazySue (10129)
very interesting ideas. The only one I have tried is using it to water some of my plants.
Coffee grounds, potato skins and egg shells make for good fertilizer water.
@HazySue (10129)
22h
@celticeagle I'll have to try them. That would be great for my garden.
21h
@HazySue ......Good stuff.
@PatZAnthony (8488)
• Charlotte, North Carolina
21h
We are not big coffee drinkers here but do use leftover grounds when there are some to discourage insects in the yard. Can't say how we learned to do this, but the ants move when the coffee grounds hit the ground and don't return.
20h
I used to use coffee grounds in another apartment when we had ants. Good deterrent.
@CoralLevang (20771)
I like using them as ice cubes and I will sometimes add them to make a coffee flavored yogurt Icee drink
Sounds like that might be good.
@OreoBrownie (2959)
• Winder, Georgia
I like iced coffee.
20h
I do too.
I think that I will try the coffee in the chili sounds interesting.
20h
I hope you will let us know.
@manasamanu (1104)
That's a lot of things with one cup of coffee
20h
Hehe
@UncleJoe (6318)
• Virginia Beach, Virginia
Have you ever tried coffee instead of milk over cereal? Don't!
20h
No, I won't.
I have used it in brownies/cakes. In the summer I used to add instant coffee to the leftover coffee and pour it over ice. So, I would like your ice cube idea! I like very strong coffee and my husband doesn't so we bought a Kurig and a French press. So we each make a cup of coffee the way we prefer and drink it. We never have left over coffee any more.
I have too. I like the flavor it gives to chocolate. I like instant coffee a lot. Less leftovers is a good thing. I don't care for strong coffee and I like the flavor of instant.
@boiboing (11796)
• Northampton, England
They do say it's good to put it on the garden.
Some of those I think would work...no leftover coffee, I use Keurig. I only drink hot coffee so no ice cubes for me.
Great tips. Most of us usually do have quite a bit of leftover coffee.
No coffee drinking here, but good information.