Snake Scare

@nanette64 (17192)
Fairfield, Texas
I am not a snake person. As a kid, we lived in the country and some of our neighbors had huge corn fields and occasionally a Corn Snake would make it's way to our house. Adult corn snakes can be from 61-182 cm (2-6 ft) in size and fortunately are non-poisonous. Now down here in Texas however, we do have poisonous snakes of several varieties and because I live out in the 'toolies', ya never know what you're going to come across. Yesterday I was on my hands and knees scrubbing out the donkeys 40-gallon tub of water. I stood up, grabbed the clean tub and as I turned around to toss the tub over the pasture fence, guess what I saw about 1 foot away from me? A very poisonous Copperhead Snake. I pert near pooped my pants. Had I still been down on the ground, I have a feeling I would have been bit in the butt. Now with my daughter coming to visit tomorrow, I can just see me with a swollen butt cheek. Not to mention trying to figure out what had bit me and reached around only to be bit again. Talk about a close call.
That was a close call! Would have scared the daylights out of me too!!! So glad you did not receive a bite!!!
@nanette64 (17192)
• Fairfield, Texas
Those venomous, little buggers @Corbin5 . Fortunately I know the cure. Cinnamon & Honey blended together to look like chocolate frosting. It pulls the poison out of the body. When I had the kennels here a few of the dogs had gotten bitten. Applying the 'cure' not only reduced the swelling within 24 hours, but kept the dogs from dying from the bite.
@nanette64 Of course, I should have known you would have a cure my friend, because you never cease to amaze! That's why I love ya!! Well, that's part of the reason.
@nanette64 (17192)
• Fairfield, Texas
@Corbin5 Oh you Sweet Thang.
@garymarsh6 (13195)
OH dear me I am afraid you would not see me for dust. I hate snakes. I can not bear to look at them even on TV or the internet.
@xFiacre (4267)
@garymarsh6 I'd I accidentally see one while channel flicking I have to keep watching till the programme's over to make sure it doesn't escape from the telly
@garymarsh6 (13195)
@xFiacre I have walked out of many rooms when I have seen a snake on the television. Thankfully living in Ireland that is the least of your problems there! Same as New Zealand and Mauritius NO SNAKES!
@xFiacre (4267)
@garymarsh6 except the ones imported by irresponsible oiks.
• Portland, Connecticut
Yikes, that would have freaked me out for sure, I hate snakes.
@nanette64 (17192)
• Fairfield, Texas
Me too @BelleStarr whether poisonous or otherwise. I blame it on my Dad. He thought it was funny to put a snake in my bed when I was 11. I woke up, threw back the covers and there it was.
• Portland, Connecticut
@nanette64 Now that is just plain mean, I would have had a heart attack right there in the bed.
@responsiveme (14476)
I hate snakes too and that's a scary news..We have cobras...
@nanette64 (17192)
• Fairfield, Texas
And Cobra's are nothin' to mess with either @responsiveme .
@nanette64 no they attack....Others slither away
@UncleJoe (9484)
• Virginia Beach, Virginia
I was bitten by a copperhead when I was in my late 20's. It took years for me to get over my paranoia. Even running up on a harmless snake after that usually made me hurt myself.
@nanette64 (17192)
• Fairfield, Texas
I feel ya @UncleJoe . Even if I see a Garter Snake, I get the creeps. The time before this I was pulling a 70-lb bale of hay off of the stack and a snake was standing up ready to strike. The bite would have been throat high.
I probably would have had a heart attack seeing that Copperhead snake within striking distance.
@nanette64 (17192)
• Fairfield, Texas
I literally froze in place @Marilynda1225 . Fortunately when I stood up, I must have looked pretty big to the snake and he took off.
You have to constantly pay attention don't you!!!!
@nanette64 (17192)
• Fairfield, Texas
Girl, I'm tellin' ya. If it ain't the wild hogs, it's the coyotes, or the foxes; not to mention the variety of snakes @AbbyGreenhill .
@KristenH (23328)
• Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio
Yikes. That sounds scary to me, too. Did you call Animal Control to remove it?
@nanette64 (17192)
• Fairfield, Texas
Nope. Since I live in a wooded area of 16 1/2 acres, there's plenty of them around here @KristenH .
@KristenH (23328)
• Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio
@nanette64 Ah I see. I hope the snake went away.
@nanette64 (17192)
• Fairfield, Texas
@KristenH He did.
I'm glad you saw it before it bit you and were able to get away from it.
@nanette64 (17192)
• Fairfield, Texas
Yeah, no kidding @just4him . Those bites hurt.
We had a snake in our backyard a couple weeks ago. I've been in the same area for many years, and never saw one in our yard before.
I am terribly afraid of snakes. I can't understand how some people can keep them as pets.
@Nawsheen (22982)
• Mauritius
OMG that was a close all. I hate snake
Its June 2nd and I will be looking for you Nanette.
@petertheo (148)
• South Africa
Yikes! That was a close call! Over here in South Africa we also have many snakes. I have a rope swing in a tree for my grandsons and one day 4 year old Caleb was swinging and jumping off the rope and almost tramped on a puff adder sleeping on the ground in the sun. He avoided getting bitten. Just as well the puff adder is such a lazy snake but extremely poisonous!
@CRK109 (14419)
That is terrifying! I'm so glad that snake didn't bite you!
You were most fortunate I am petrified of snakes. When my husband was doing yard work the other day he came across one.
Snakes are my biggest fear in the world.
@hostessman (8928)
• Tucson, Arizona
Copperheads are not a snake you want to play with, you just get out of there way
I would freak out if I see a snake anywhere in the house. If it's big watch out about it.
I live in NC and snakes have been a really big problem for us this year. My boyfriend's grandparents live on a farm and have killed several poisonous and nonpoisonous ones. We were taking family photos the weekend before mother's day and I almost stepped on a baby copperhead and his uncle had to kill it with a stick. My neighbor killed a long about 6 ft black snake in the small field between our houses and threw it in the bigger field so it wouldn't bite his kids or dog even though black snakes aren't poisonous.