Does Social Media influence depression?

@Rhombus (356)
South Africa
Twenty years ago we never had images flooding our phones and computers. - Crime, violence, poverty, hate, cruelty etc? In addition, when feeling down we were not exposed to how great some people's lives appear to be (real or unreal). -
@mandala100 (45953)
The bottom line is it is really up to the individual whether or not he or she will be influnce by any external thing or events that might trigger depression.
@AkoPinay (10029)
Agree. Social media HELPED me fight depression. How? It keeps me BUSY. Of course it is up to the individual. One must learn how to properly MANAGE account. There are options to block and keep your profile/posts in private so why not block people you do not like and why not set your posts in private. My online Life is easier online than offline. LOL! Why? It is more difficult to avoid offline bulleys because there is no block option.
• Pleasant Hill, California
Sometimes we can be influenced without realizing it.
@mandala100 (45953)
@TheHorse Unconsciously you mean.
@luispas (1719)
• Venezuela
This is very serious topic in which I couldn't resist to participate, I love social media, but I think I need to stay away from then, for me in particular make me anxious and don't help me a lot, it's worth just to stay in touch with my friends. So, be careful with what you do on social media, people don't show what they are, they show what you want to see.
@Rhombus (356)
• South Africa
Exactly, it's great for keeping in touch with family and close friends far away..... However an ideal platform for the "haves". Personally I find it useful to keep up with news in my town.
@luispas (1719)
• Venezuela
@Rhombus I agree and feel the same, it's not worth it for anything else. I always say that if I had another thing which I can distract myself more and with I can text my people, I won't be on facebook anymore.
• Pleasant Hill, California
Very true that some don't really show what they are like in the real world.
Its true some of these images can really affect a person. Seriously. We should limit ourselves to be exposed to too much of anything online.
@Rhombus (356)
• South Africa
Problem is, some of the images are right there in your news feed. With no warning. Difficult to "unsee". You are right, they can affect someone in a negative way.
@Rhombus Yes I have known some people to stay offline for periods of time to get their positivity back.
• Richfield, Utah
@TiarasOceanView one of my best friends is doing this now.
Yeah, things have changed a lot in twenty years. I just hope it helps really lonely people.
@Rhombus (356)
• South Africa
I think it could also have the opposite affect, make people feel even more lonely.
@Essjayd (1619)
I think it can be both beneficial and detrimental! It can be hard to see everyone else leading supposedly perfect lives if yours seems to be on a freefall to nowhere. On the plus side I think it also helps you to connect with others especially if you are feeling isolated or living far from family and friends.I know a few people who have found good friends through joining groups with a common interest.
@redurnet (1587)
I get depressed looking at the posts of some people and seeing what rich lives they have. However, when I come to take photos for social media platforms I often think how fake I'm being so maybe everyone else is being a bit fake too!
@Rhombus (356)
• South Africa
Agreed, everyone seems to have perfect lives with endless streams of money.
@moirai (2010)
I agree with the one who said it depends on the individual. Social media per se doesn't cause depression, in my opinion. It is dependent on the person using. If he or she lets the things she see depress him/her, then it could. We see more crime, violence, poverty, hate, cruelty, etc. because of social media now? I suppose one can be depressed by that. Another negative effect is that people, after seeing so much of it, can become numb to it all. They reach a point where it's normal already, commonplace, and may not care about it anymore. That's sad... But a more positive way to look at it is: seeing it all makes you more aware of all these things happening around us. And awareness is the first step to making changes. Now, about the other thing you mentioned... that people might feel down when they see how great other people's lives appear to be, real or unreal. Again, that depends on the person looking. If the person is the kind who compares themselves with others and makes that the measure of his/her own success, then that can be depressing for that person. But that sounds like the kind of person who doesn't need social media to feel depressed because of that. All he/she needs to do is look around his/her neighborhood and feel envious of them for whatever reason. On the other hand, a person who is happy with what they have, and also feel happy for any good fortune other people may have, will not feel depressed seeing other people's successes.
@Rhombus (356)
• South Africa
Agreed, however a teenager sitting eating a sandwich for dinner faced with friends posting they are at a nice restaurant (insert pic of food) must be affected. The sandwich would have been delicious otherwise. Hope this makes sense. ;)
• Preston, England
such sites can be depressing but also they can cheer us up
• Waltham, Massachusetts
I agree that there is a connection between social media and depression. I remember learning about a study or studies that demonstrates that there is truth to this in a communication and society psychology class. It is sad to think that technology has potentially had such a negative impact on our health.
@RubyHawk (26772)
• Atlanta, Georgia
Life is a lot different than it was 20 years ago
• Pleasant Hill, California
I also worry that social media isolates people (in spite of the illusion of connection), and thata social anxiety will rise in the young over the next ten years.