Summer is Definitely Here

@BettyB (4292)
Summerville, South Carolina
According to the calendar summer is not supposed to arrive for another week, but it has arrived earlier than scheduled here in South Carolina. Summers are always hot and muggy here. It’s been hot for a while now but we haven’t had to deal with the humidity. I don’t mind the heat, especially if there’s a little breeze. The humidity is another story. For the last few weeks walking in the early morning has been pleasant. There was a breeze and some days even a nip in the air. Not today. The sun was barely up but it was already hot and muggy. It felt good stepping back into the air conditioning after our two mile trek. I’m up to two miles every morning now. My ankle is handling it well. Next week we’re going to bump it up to two and an half miles, but I think we’ll head out before the sun is up. It’s the only way to beat the heat. I took this photo a couple of years ago. This little fella lives in my sister’s garden. I think he has the right idea.
Same here, it is as hot as usually it is by mid-July. I hope that the temperature will not continue to raise.
@BettyB (4292)
• Summerville, South Carolina
We were in the mid 90's (33 C) which is normal for the latter part of June and July. It won't start cooling down until mid September.
@BettyB Usually we never reach 30 C in June, this is a July temperature, but two days ago we reached 32 C, it's too hot for the season here in Switzerland.
@BettyB (4292)
• Summerville, South Carolina
@LadyDuck That is hot. I'm afraid to think what it will be like in July and August.
Yes its been hot here this week too. Keep it up.
@BettyB (4292)
• Summerville, South Carolina
Thanks. I've increased the distance and the speed. Hopefully I'll be back to three miles a day soon.
@BettyB I hope you can! good luck!
adorable vignette 't'cher sis's :) we've already been'n the triple digits here 'n though 'tis been breezy, such jest feels like openin' the oven door. tickled to read that'cher back to 2 miles 'n thus far all's well.
@BettyB (4292)
• Summerville, South Carolina
We only hit the triple digits a few times a year and not usually until the end of July.
@BettyB june'd be our shake'n bake month (high winds/triple digit heat) 'n i've my fingers crossed the monsoon season 'tis fruitful 'n we'll get some rains come july/august (our 'wet months').
@BettyB (4292)
• Summerville, South Carolina
@crazyhorseladycx I hope you'll get the rain you need.
It gets muggy here in the summers. I always walk early in the morning for my main walk of the day, even if it's muggy. A shower feels so refreshing afterwards. Keep up the good work!
@BettyB (4292)
• Summerville, South Carolina
I enjoy the walks even when its hot and muggy. It helps to walk with a friend.
@BettyB If I can't walk and talk with a friend, it becomes a chore!
@BettyB (4292)
• Summerville, South Carolina
@DianneN So true. I walk with my friend every other day. She rides bike on the alternate days. When I'm by myself its too easy to cut the walk short. Listening to music helps, but talking with a friend is better.
So summer there is humid too. Here it is and it's so much humidity that after I have just taken a bath, I am beginning to sweat again. The humidity makes me not like to put on a lotion anymore. But I have to, though.
@BettyB (4292)
• Summerville, South Carolina
I use a lotion with a good sunscreen even though I avoid the sun.
@BettyB Yes, we should still avoid so much sun despite the sunscreen.
@BettyB (4292)
• Summerville, South Carolina
@SIMPLYD I've never been a sun worshiper and as I get older I like it even less.
@CRK109 (14381)
Summer seems to have arrived here, as well. Last night, it was pretty hot and humid while during the daytime it was rather cool and so beautiful! I'm so used to weather being the other way around but I don't mind putting the a/c on at night! lol
@BettyB (4292)
• Summerville, South Carolina
We usually cool off a bit at night, but we haven't lately. We will be running our AC around the clock until October.
@CRK109 (14381)
@BettyB Wow that sure is a lot of air conditioning! Our summers are always different. Today was chilly with a lot of rain. I never know what the next day will bring!
@BettyB (4292)
• Summerville, South Carolina
@CRK109 I wouldn't mind a cool day every now and then. We won't be seeing that until fall now.
@bluesa (10725)
• Johannesburg, South Africa
Haha. Love that hammock ! @BettyB , here we are too hot for our winter, it is a worry. Try to beat that heat for your walks in the morning
@BettyB (4292)
• Summerville, South Carolina
My sister has had him for years. I wish I knew where she got it. Walking in the morning isn't so bad. Walking late afternoons and evenings is out of the question now. We may switch it up in October.
@bluesa (10725)
• Johannesburg, South Africa
@BettyB enjoy getting a routine going
@BettyB (4292)
• Summerville, South Carolina
@bluesa I feel guilty right now. I picked up tomatoes yesterday and wanted to get started on them first thing this morning. I text my friend and told her I would see her tomorrow. I don't like doing that but sometimes another project has to take precedence.
@HazySue (16004)
I love4 the picture. The little one looks relaxed and happy just hanging around. Is he a little gnome? Our summer seems to have been here for months own here in Florida. To me, like you, the humidity is the worst part. Keep cool.
@BettyB (4292)
• Summerville, South Carolina
I don't think he's actually a gnome, but he is adorable. Thunderstorm building. I'll be bumped off the internet soon. Maybe it will cool things off a bit.
@HazySue (16004)
@BettyB I hope it does cool it off for you some. Are you typically bumped off theinterne4t when it rains?
@BettyB (4292)
• Summerville, South Carolina
@HazySue Not when it rains, but if we get a thunderstorm we'll loose satellite for a time. It's usually not off long.
@dodo19 (27235)
• Beaconsfield, Quebec
Those morning walks must be really nice. I do enjoy taking walks as well. It can be nice. I am just glad that it's a little cooler now.
@BettyB (4292)
• Summerville, South Carolina
It helps having someone to walk with. We start chatting and the time flies.
@dodo19 (27235)
• Beaconsfield, Quebec
@BettyB Those walks are fun for sure. Enjoy!
@BettyB (4292)
• Summerville, South Carolina
@dodo19 Thanks. Hopefully I'll be up to three miles again soon.
• Lakewood, Colorado
Beautiful garden setting of your sisters Betty. You are doing so well with the walking. I have also been walking but only a mile. It is enough as I do it every morning before it gets hot.
@BettyB (4292)
• Summerville, South Carolina
My sister has several beautiful flower gardens. I envy her.
• Lakewood, Colorado
@BettyB I can see why.
@Nawsheen (22849)
• Mauritius
Glad to hear that your ankle is much better. We are in winter over here and it is so cold
@BettyB (4292)
• Summerville, South Carolina
My friend pushes me to walk in the winter as well. Our winters are chilly but not "cold" most days.
That is a nice little fellow who lives in your sister's garden. It is hot and humid here, and I avoid outdoors as much as possible. I like the green of summer, but that is all summer has going for it for me.
@BettyB (4292)
• Summerville, South Carolina
If it wasn't for the humidity I would love it. I don't mind when I can jump in the pool, but we're bumping our walks back to 5:30. Hopefully that will help.
do not push your self.When your body tells you something then take a breather.
@BettyB (4292)
• Summerville, South Carolina
Thanks, but we're careful. We're usually back home before 7:00 and carry water bottles with us. We will probably start our walks at 5:30 instead of 6:00 starting next week. Be both wear reflective vests and have an assortment of lights attached to our bodies.
That little fella in your sisters garden is cute and certainly has the right idea! Glad to hear that your ankle isn't giving you trouble and that you've been able to increase your distance with your morning walks. I hate the humidity too ugh!
@BettyB (4292)
• Summerville, South Carolina
My ankle is doing great. It hurts a little by evening and is still a little swollen, but the doctor said it could take up to a year for all the swelling to disappear.
@MGjhaud (20822)
Ours is almost over. I dont do morning walks or spend much time under the sun but im so glad it's about to be over.
@BettyB (4292)
• Summerville, South Carolina
I grumble about the humidity but I prefer summer to winter anyway. Spring and fall are the best.
@pitstop (4629)
For us summer arrived in March and is refusing to leave! We thought it left last week, but this week the heat is searing again!!
@BettyB (4292)
• Summerville, South Carolina
We had some hot days in March but the humidity hadn't kicked in so it wasn't so bad.
@josie_ (4475)
That's a nice photo. That would be a "refreshing" idea, laying on a hammock and have someone turn on the spigot
@BettyB (4292)
• Summerville, South Carolina
A light mist would feel good while laying out there. A deluge is another story. My husband would turn it on full blast.
He looks so comfortable and ready for summer. I really don't like muggy - a breezy sunny day is what I would like.
@BettyB (4292)
• Summerville, South Carolina
Well, the humidity has arrived. I think we're stuck with it for the rest of the summer. I don't have a hammock, but I think its too hot for even that.
• Denmark
I admire you for your early morning walk. I couldn't do that. I'm not a morning person. I'm grumpy after getting up.
@BettyB (4292)
• Summerville, South Carolina
I have to walk in the morning. If I wait, I end up talking myself out of it.
It is 90 plus degrees here in Southern California but we don't have the muggy humidity.
@BettyB (4292)
• Summerville, South Carolina
Ninety without the humidity wouldn't be so bad. Southern California has some of the best weather, or so I'm told. I haven't been out there since I was a small child. Enjoy the day.