A day at part lot at Sears Logistics Services

Dallas, Texas
June 22, 2017 12:06pm CST
Boxes on the conveyor belts were jamming at the turning point and falling off on the floor, some getting crushed. The lady in charge of Sears Catalog Logistics, on our floor, PART LOT, got Gary G to go up and unstop those crowded packages before they had to stop the conveyors. The damage was already done, the shutes were all filling up and the mixed packers were falling behind schedule. Gary got up there and got the boxes off the belt in a way that only a hero from some kind of t.v. show saves the day. The people clapped and the lady manager told us to hurry up and get those boxes going ASAP. I ordered a dup , for a missing item of clothing that was supposed to have arrived a half hour ago. The dup would fill the order finally and it would be sent down to shipping eventually. I worked on the scanners and computers there to keep replacing late items that had to be duplicated because of the time line we had to follow. Many times people had to get an alternate color or be billed for one less item due to lack of availability. The box guy made notion boxes for the mix packers and we in Part Lot, made several boxes of different sizes. By estimating the amount of merchandise to go in to each box, I had to have them ready and hurry up with the packing slips and confirmation slips to put on the outside of each box and send it on the way to the mix packers to sort them out. The people at the slides were picking up random items as they slid down fast and tossing them onto 6 different belts according to number. The people in the billing office prepared the invoices for all the orders either about to be filled or the ones being processed for billing as they were already on the way to the trucks in shipping. At the end of the day, I took that one empty box and placed it on the belt to shipping on the ground floor, about one and a half city block away from where I was standing and I picked up a microphone and pressed the button and announced, Receiving, Last Box is On The belt, confirm?" - then I waited for them to say, "Confirmed, Last box is on the belt, over" At that point I took off my lifting belt and went to the clock to punch out. Along with over 300 other people who all left the sorter rooms, the upper stock rooms and all the rest of the mix packers and their supervisors. by the time I left there were only 5 people in Part Lot. We were the first to arrive in the morning and the last to leave in the late evening. Sometimes I worked a good 18 hours, especially during the Christmas Rush.
1 response
• Ponce De Leon, Florida
22 Jun 17
Sounds like a long day.
1 person likes this