For all of you that have a hard time falling asleep what do you do to fall asleep?

I have 3 white noise machines that can drown out noise but not take it away completely and then I hope I will fall asleep not long after I relax and then sleep till the alarm goes off. That does not happen all the time and it takes me forever to even fall asleep. I still have not found a cure and do not want to take tranquilizers and get addicted to them.
There are more than tranquilizers that help sleep. I take one Trazodone at bedtime and it sometimes helps me fall asleep and it is . Not a tranquilizer as it is an antidepressant with properties that make one tired. Have you tried to not use computers or any electronic devices as n hour before bed as they give off what is called blue light and interfere with sleep. Have you tried adult coloring as I find it very relaxing and might get you ready to fall asleep easier as it is widely used my the mental health field to relax patients! I don't think you need mental help but just saying that they use it and it 'really helps!
Thank you Jennifer.I do take something,but mose fo the time that doesn't help unless i am really tired.
@Hannihar my pill does not help me fall asleep right every night. But i do eventually get to bed even if p dat midnight. I couldn't sleep last night until 10 pm and I had a hard time waking up this morning so going to bed earlier tonight and hope I am sleeping before 9 pm I obviously cannot stay up late!
@Marty1 Jennifer, I really do not know when my body changed and could not stay up very late. I have to go to bed early because I get up very early and need to get sleep. I also have to take into account it take forever for me to fall asleep. I hope it worked out for you Jennifer or will work out for you to get sleep. When i wake up even though I am a morning person at times it takes me a little bit to wake up.
@Nawsheen (22862)
• Mauritius
I have been listening to meditating music for quite a long time and this seem to help. A glass of milk before going to bed can help too
Nawsheen, I tried warm milk before bed once and it did not help me. Thank you for wanting to help.
@Nawsheen (22862)
• Mauritius
@Hannihar have you ever tried meditating music
@Nawsheen No, I haven't. Actually my white noise machines have different things on them. I think it is just that for quite some time it takes me forever to fall asleep. Maybe that is just me.
I always fall to sleep naturally.
Judy, does it take you quite ahile to fall asleep and then you fall into a deep one?
@RubyHawk (21448)
• Atlanta, Georgia
I have a hard time getting to sleep. I wish I knew how to get a good nights sleep. I don't take sleeping pills. Neither do I want to be addicted. They can also have side effects which I don't want.
Ruby, I am with you. Maybe the lullaby idea is a good one, but, I do not want to get up and go to the computer to go to youtube. I eventually fall asleep. How about you Ruby? Ruby, if you do not fall asleep right away one night and then the next when you are really tired do you fall asleep easier then?
@RubyHawk (21448)
• Atlanta, Georgia
@Hannihar I hardly ever get a good nights sleep. But occasionally. I can get a nap during the day.
@RubyHawk I only nap on our Sabbath and this past I did not sleep long. That is good that you can get a nap. I guess because it is so hard for me to sleep at night that I have to stay up during the week till time for be.
@vsai2008 (7630)
Reading a Textbook always helps LOL
SAI, I believe I would fall asleep reading a textbook too.
@HAPPSINGH If you mean the white noise machines. I try different things and the best that work to drown out most of the noise then it helps me against the noisy ones.
@HAPPSINGH Thank you so much.
You can put about 1/2 Tsp of Nutmeg in some Milk about 6-8 hours before bedtime and you should be nice and sleepy when it's time to go to bed. It might be better to actually mix it into some Yogurt because some people can have mild stomach issues if they consume Nutmeg every day. The Yogurt helps to keep the stomach flora at the right levels.
Randy, have not tried that, but, I do not like yougurt so something else I can use instead? Thanks and an interesting idea except for the yogurt.
@Hannihar Yes you can just sprinkle the nutmeg over some milk (it is normally done this way when drinking egg nog). See if it works for you. To be honest it is unlikely it will cause any issues unless you have a very sensitive stomach. Just remember to do it about 6-8 hours before bedtime as it takes awhile to kick in.
@Yadah04 (2931)
losing myself of worries for tomorrow allows me to sleep right away. i can do that with prayer.