~Sue Happy-It Annoys Me!!~

Jacksonville, Florida
Hey everyone. I promised I would write about how the meeting went yesterday with the babysitting client... First of all let me say this, I am not a fan of people that want to sue for every little thing. It annoys me so much. So...this couple is looking for childcare because their son got hurt at the daycare he used to go to. He is 3 years old. He was on a playground, fell off the monkey bars and broke his tooth. They are suing over it. They claim it should never have happened because the teacher should have been watching him better... WHAT? Kids get hurt every day! She probably turned her back for a second and that is when it happened. Besides the fact that you cannot watch a child 24/7-and if you say you can your a liar! You HAVE to use the bathroom now and then. You need to make meals or get a drink-in that second of getting a drink a child can get hurt...it happens. Kids are kids and this boy is extremely hyper, he was bouncing off the walls when he was here. Needless to say I am being very cautious about the situation. I am watching him today and if he isn't a good fit for me than I will let his parents know. I do NOT need a law suit, that's for sure!! He is a little tougher than other children since he's on the autism spectrum and has a very high energy level. Would you be uncomfortable too in this situation, knowing the parents like to sue for something that can happen to anyone?!?
That sounds like a terrible situation, I cannot imagine how that boy will feel as he will be treated much differently then the other children. The parents suing and then talking openly about it makes me wonder if they aren't manipulative. I'd be careful based on that.
@Juliaacv He won't be treated differently here, I have taken care of many autistic children before. However, with the sue happy parents I am going to be much more cautious with him. Yeah, I don't like that either. I am being very careful and after today I am going to tell them to find someone else. It makes me too nervous.
@LovingMyBabies I think that once the little boy is old enough to go to school he'll be treated differently because his parents are so aggressive.
@Juliaacv Oh, yes he might be and that's sad for him. =(
Honestly, I would NOT take him as a client. Not in a million years.
@marlina I know and I should have just said no I think. However, I am watching him today and then I will tell his parents to find care elsewhere.
@LovingMyBabies Good decision.
@marlina I fully agree, I think the parents want to take profit of the situation.
@LovingMyBabies A chipped tooth is not a sue worthy situation! How ridiculous! I wouldn't touch this situation with a 50 foot pole!!!
@Berniezietler I completely agree with you! I think it's insane!!
@Platespinner (16515)
It sounds to me like they were giving you a "watch my child closely or else" message. I'd be inclined to stear clear of babysitting for them. Children not only can't be watched 100% of the time, they SHOULDN'T be. Children learn personal responsibility through gradual independence, and part of the learning process involves making mistakes and sometimes getting injured.
@Platespinner Yes I agree and I don't like that at all. After today I am going to tell them to find care elsewhere since I am really uncomfortable. Exactly, kids get hurt and they need to learn some independence as they grow. I don't agree with what these parents are doing at all.
If it were me, I'd tell her I wasn't a good fit for the child. With his hyper nature, it's a lawsuit looking for a place to happen. Good luck.
@just4him I agree with you. I am doing it today and then letting them know I cannot watch him anymore.
@LovingMyBabies That's good.
@dodo19 (32527)
• Beaconsfield, Quebec
Honestly, I can understand why you're uncomfortable with this. I would be as well. I don't understand why they want to sue this daycare. Like you said, kids will get hurt and you can't watch them all the time. It just seems like a silly reason to sue someone.
@dodo19 Thank you. Yeah it makes me very uncomfortable and cautious for sure. I am only watching him today-they can find someone else after this. I don't feel good about the situation at all.
@dodo19 (32527)
• Beaconsfield, Quebec
@LovingMyBabies I don't blame you at all. I wouldn't do it again either.
@WorDazza (10042)
• Manchester, England
I wouldn't go anywhere near this babysitting job. Anyone who seems to think the world should be risk-free is probably not the best person to be working for!!
@WorDazza Unfortunately, I did agree to today but after today I am not watching him anymore. It makes me too uncomfortable.
@WorDazza (10042)
• Manchester, England
@LovingMyBabies A wise move.
@mom210 (6685)
• Atlanta, Georgia
I would be very cautious. About four of my kids have chipped teeth at one time or another. It is just one of those things and you hope it happens when they are little to a baby tooth. Yes, it would make me uncomfortable, so uncomfortable I most likely would not do it. You are not going to have regular days anymore, they will be filled with paranoia and stress I think. This will be a lot for you to deal with. Good luck with your decision.
@mom210 Yeah it happens to the best of parents. After today I'm not watching him anymore, it's giving me a sick feeling in my stomach.
@mom210 (6685)
• Atlanta, Georgia
@LovingMyBabies I agree with that, you would even be afraid to have to much fun with him, he might get hurt. What a pain that can be, especially in the summer when we really wanna have fun.
@mom210 Yes exactly! I don't need to live with that kind of fear each day.
I would not babysit him, this is not a situation I like. May be the parents know he is hyper active and they want to make money with him.
@Ladyduck I agree. After today I'm not watching him anymore. I feel way too uncomfortable about the whole thing.
@LovingMyBabies It's too dangerous to watch him.
Oh wow! Yes I'd be uncomfortable. And I agree it can happen to anyone, even when they have him. But why was a 3 year old on monkey bars anyways? Those are for older kids. Unless they are very short ones
@Courtlynn Yeah it can happen to anyone at any time. It was a playground for the little ones so they were most likely the shorter ones.
@LovingMyBabies gotcha. My niece cut her head on out tv table last summer, cause her mom wanted to stay outside tanning while i was filling the pool, and indoors with 4 kids under 5 who were horsing around and not listening; and had to pee and told her so. Came out the bathroom with her crying and kids saying shes bleeding while her mom was still outside tanning.
@Courtlynn Yup bathroom breaks are quite popular for kids to try something new and crazy. Lol. While the cat's away, the mice will play-and get hurt sometimes!
@akp100 (13328)
Well, this is kind of uncomfortable situation for sure. I hope you will able to manage him well. Surely no body can take care of kid that sharply that they don't get hurt at all. It is not possible for anyone to look after them for all 24 hours. Yes such thing can happen even in seconds. Parents should understand this thing. Here such thing happened even I look after my girl myself. So blaming to other is just wrong.
@akp100 Thanks, he hasn't been a problem so far other than he's not potty trained like they said he was. Exactly, kids get hurt and that is normal!
@akp100 (13328)
@LovingMyBabies Ohh.. So are you giving him training or what?!
@akp100 Nope, I just watched him that one day. I'm not watching him anymore.
I would not even take that child to begin with. I turned down lots of kids because of the parents.
@jstory07 Well when I say I will do something, I follow through. After today I won't anymore though.
@LovingMyBabies Good for you. It is better to be safe than sorry.
I hate to say it, but i agree with nwith some of the other replies that you have received to not go near the babysitting job. I know that I was listening to a lawyer o the radio yesterday and this lady wanted to sue a veterinarian for giving her dog the wrong prescription even though she never filled the prescription or even gave it to me her dog! The lawyer told her she needs have some evidence the dog was hurt in some way which the dog was not she was just suing happy. He told her she has no case That person was just trying to get money i am sure nothing happens to your client children when watching their children as you sound like a very mature, babysitter who knows children. I know I wouldn't babysit as I have no experience in children. I only watched my nephew when he got older, and it is just he didn't want to go out with my sister when she picked up food o something. Once he even stayed himself when my sister had to run me someplace, i forget where now He was so mature we came home in the dark, and there was not a light on in the house besides the TV!
@Marty1 Yeah, I agreed to watching him for today but after this I am going to tell them I'm not available anymore. It just doesn't make me comfortable. I have been watching children for 18 years, plus have 5 of my own but I know from experience kids get hurt in the blink of an eye-it happens so fast and usually when your in the room with them or turn your head for just a second! It's good that your nephew was mature and responsible. =)
@LovingMyBabies He is now not going to summer day camp and staying home alone and, neighbor sister neighbor boy to drive him to the local pool daily or soccer camp the only camp he went to this summer. I never watched a kid babysitting, and i never had children of my own, so I am very inexperienced! But i am glad you aren't going to watch this child as I would hate a law suit to be against you. IU am sure many others want your skills and would be happy to have as a babysitter! Hope there are ten more that sign up in place of this one child!
@Tina30219 (33562)
• Onaway, Michigan
Yeah I agree with you it is crazy it can happen to anyone. You are also right you can't keep an eye on your kids 24/7 it is impossible like you said you have to use the bathroom do laundry and cook meals.
@Tina30219 Yeah, kids get hurt all the time from just being kids. It happens. Yes, and as Platespinner said kids need to learn to play on their own and learn boundaries about what they can and cannot do on their own.
@Tina30219 (33562)
• Onaway, Michigan
@LovingMyBabies Thats right I agree.
• Ponce De Leon, Florida
I would be pretty uncomfortable in that situation. If he is on the spectrum then more than likely he needs someone that can watch just him, and focus on what is going to be good for him, and his development- which will more than likely be different than the other kids. I have watched children on the autism spectrum before, both by themselves and in the daycare setting, and it is hard to keep an eye on them when they have extra energy, and act out different than the other children. I would probably pass on him, it sounds like he might not be a good fit for the other kids you watch, or just being around your kids.
@thislittlepennyearns I have watched many autistic children in the past as well. He is doing well besides not being potty trained like they said he was. He is enjoying playing with the other kids actually. He's sharing with Julian and mostly playing with him, they are getting along well.
• Portland, Connecticut
I would avoid those parents like the plague and if he has high energy, he is likely to get hurt.
@Bellestarr I agree. After today I'm not watching him anymore. I feel to worried about the situation.
I would be very , very uncomfortable in that situation.
@Kandae11 Oh I am. And I'm not going to watch him longer than today.
I sure would! If he is in the autism spectrum and they are nervous or concerned about him then they should have him in a specialized place where he is watched closer. Some people need to get a grip. I think you've already decided he won't be a good fit. You really don't need that added stress.
@celticeagle He was amazing today...however, I still cannot take the chance that they will sue me if he gets hurt here. It makes me a nervous wreck!
@LovingMyBabies Yes, but it is good you gave it a try. Now they cannot say you refused him because of his disability and discriminated. That would be another lawsuit.
@GardenGerty Yes that is very true!
@RubyHawk (23203)
• Atlanta, Georgia
I would be so I comfortable that I would not babysit this child. As you say children get hurt every day. I wouldn't want to take the chance.
@Rubyhawk Yeah I'm not going to watch him, it makes me too nervous.
@RubyHawk (23203)
• Atlanta, Georgia
@LovingMyBabies I think that's the best for you.
@Srbageldog (8350)
I personally wouldn't feel comfortable watching a kid knowing his parents had sued his previous daycare over such a trivial matter. I chipped my tooth on the jungle gym when I was in kindergarten. My parents didn't even care. These things happen. It's not like the teacher had neglected him and allowed something really horrible to happen.
@Srbageldog Yeah kids get hurt and that is a common way kids get hurt-playing on the playground. It is NOT sue worthy at all! I don't feel comfortable with it at all and I am going to tell them I cannot watch their son anymore.
@LovingMyBabies I'm glad you decided to follow your gut instinct. I've worked with kids in the past (as an instructional aid, preschool teacher, and babysitter,) and it's disturbing how many parents are just looking for an excuse to sue. I remember one family accused the center I was working at of molesting their daughter on her first day there, when nobody had been inappropriate with her. (They didn't press charges but threatened to...don't you think if you really suspected someone of molesting your child you would pull them out of that preschool and get the police involved?) After that we had to be very careful around that little girl. So sad when people are just looking for a way to make a quick buck.