Childhood Memories

https://snappygoat.com/s/?q=childhood+memories#8e4aaee5463d093b527e637097fc467ba7cd1103,1,89.
@HazySue (19510)
My childhood was spent outside in the fresh air with other children in our neighborhood playing dodge ball, softball, swimming, and bike riding, among other things. The point is, whatever we were doing was done outside. The kids on the block would all gather together, boys and girls to divide into teams, run around yelling and laughing and having the best time. We were acting like the crazy kids we were. Every now and then a small group of us, 3 or 4 kids, would jump on our bikes and ride around looking for empty soda bottles. There was a small country store about a half mile away that would give us two cents per bottle. Because we lived in an area that was more country than city, we would find a bottle here and there along the road. With this money we received we would all manage to get a piece or two of the penny candy that was sold in the little store. We had a ball. We didn't have to worry about the things the kids of today have to look out for. We felt safe running around our neighborhood. No one approached us in a threatening manner. We knew everyone in that area and our parents trusted that we were safe. so they were happy to let us roam. Everyday seemed to be filled with fun, games, and friends. We were so busy that we didn't have time to get in trouble. There was no whining about being bored. We were too busy to be bored. I am sorry that todays kids are missing, for the most part the fun and freedom we had as kids. It's a scary world out there these day. Our children are missing out on so much.
When I was a kid it was the same way. My parents were the most protective parents out there but we were allowed to play with our neighborhood friends. The one thing I love about this area we live in is it is a good area for the most part-aside from mean cat lady but she isn't dangerous. My kids do play in the court with their neighbor friends. They play basketball, tag, hide and seek, etc. We are really going to miss this place. =(
You don't have the intention to move soon I hope.
@marlina Yup, unfortunately we have no choice. =(
@HazySue (19510)
It sounds like an ideal childhood. When you do move I am sure you will find a place that you love just as much. Good luck.
@sugartoes (38453)
• Greencastle, Indiana
I wishh I could say the same about my childhood, as I was the only child & mom didn't allow me to have fun with any other kids. But I do remember them days & back then kids WERE safer than they are now & that's so sad that we hear about how kids are missing or killed.
The world was safer, live was totally different.
@sugartoes, I am so sorry that your Mom did not allow you to play with other kids. WE had 2 families in our street where they did the same thing. But all the other families were not like that.
i too was the only child, i did get to go out and play but she wouldn't allow me to go places with others, like the movies and over nights.
Some kids today don't even realize ''outside" exists...If we see a kid outside we say, "Look at that kid does he/she realize they are out in the sunshine?"
@HazySue (19510)
@abbyGreenhill you do sometimes have to wonder if the kids of today know what fresh air is.
With a cellphone in one hand and a tablet in another - these kids don't feel they are missing out on anything . Rather sad.
@HazySue (19510)
I do find it sad. I wish they would interact face to face more the way we did when we were young.
You don't even see kids playing outside anymore.
@HazySue (19510)
@popciclecold I certainly don't see them outdoors. It's sad.
I grew up here where i live.. we were almost always outside, riding bikes, rollerskating, skateboarding, hula hooping, playing with bubbles and chalk, water balloons, hoses and pools, washing the car, playing tag and red light green light, etc. It was also safe for us. And that was just 10 years ago. Porbably still is here, but most parents keep there kids inside now a days. Even when its nice out.
@HazySue (19510)
I am glad you were able to enjoy the freedom we had years ago. Unfortunately it is becoming harder to trust others with our children. There are too many bad things out there.
@HazySue yes and no.
@sallypup (25890)
• Moses Lake, Washington
Sweet memories. Yup. Penny candy, 2 for a penny. Mom gave us kids a single dime each and we lived it up, walking to a little corner grocery, sugar shack.
@HazySue (19510)
They are sweet memories. I wish my own grandchildren could experience it.
@sallypup (25890)
• Moses Lake, Washington
@HazySue I worry about the disconnect from real life with the up coming generations. When I was a kid, the story books featured animals and outdoor adventures. Now, like someone said on the radio, the kids connect with technology more than animals and such. Quite tragic.
@HazySue (19510)
@sallypup it is a pity. I am also worried about them not really connecting with people.
@Tracy04 (10575)
During my childhood me and other friends in school always play during lunch break Nowadays I don't know.... Seems that kids has too many subjects to learn until they need to cut lunch time
@HazySue (19510)
School can be hard for sure. I am thinking they are trying to get the young ones ready for the future.
@Tracy04 (10575)
@HazySue I feel bad for kids nowadays. After they finish school they go for tuition
I think this very same thing often. I lived at my grandparents when I was a small child. Mom worked. And the neighborhood kids and I would play around the neighborhood. I wish my grandkids could have had a childhood like I did. Not have to feel like we needed to check on them constantly like we do now.
@HazySue (19510)
I wish my grandchildren were able to live that way too. It is better though to be safe than sorry.
@HazySue .....It sure is.
I think the times have changed for the works, during those times we didn't have kidnapping not as much as today you could go out play, and be back when your mom yelled for you, all kids were out side. Even with electronics, that our kids have today, I think they are busy with school sports and activities no time for that extra play. I remember those times too , ll the neighborhood kids were out we had fun, no better times than those times..
@HazySue (19510)
I agree some of them are involved in sports and such. But, there are a group of them that are not. It is sad.
@HazySue like the ones who are not allowed to do much. stay in all the time..
@SHOHANA (7097)
• Bangladesh
My almost all childhood memories make me feel embarrass me now
@HazySue (19510)
I am sorry to hear that. It is nice to have a good childhood memory.
Ah, I remember days like that. We had the same kind of childhood.
@HazySue (19510)
it was a nice childhood.
I had the same type of wonderful childhood, although I grew up in the suburbs of a fairly large city. It was a different world then.
@HazySue (19510)
I lived in more of a country setting. We had our fun outside running around and being crazy.
I had basically the same experience than you. I remember finding soda bottles and selling them. It was fun. We played outside all the time: we were 6 kids in the house and most of our neighbors had about the same amount of children . So that made for a lot of friends.
@HazySue (19510)
We did tend to be more accepting of others when we were younger. Everyone in the neighborhood played together. It seems that a group of kids can't play together without picking on someone.
@prashu228 (25805)
I agree, I grew up in city ,those days were safe. I always used to play outside. There were only outdoor activities most of the time. Now I see my niece and nephew , so sad only cellphone and tablets , no other world..
@HazySue (19510)
Itwould be a healthier lifestyle if they would be outside more running around and interacting with others.