A Typically English Sunday Afternoon

By Jabo
United Kingdom
We had a lovely day today - we attended an outdoor performance of our local town band on the green outside the church. They played all sorts of music, and there was something to suit everyone. Cream teas were provided for free - scones, jam, clotted cream and strawberries, and lemonade or tea to drink. (Of course we left a donation). The band had a break after an hour, and that's when the Morris Dancers came on to entertain us. Morris Dancers are English folk dancers, and they are fun to watch as they wield their sticks and bells. They were accompanied by a fiddle and accordion, and we really enjoyed watching them, and then the band came back for another hour. The weather was lovely - sunny with a gentle breeze. It was the perfect afternoon. Did you do anything special on your Sunday? Photo is of my hanging basket as the one of Morris Dancers wouldn't load.
What a beautiful basket of flowers. I hope you'll figure out how to get that picture to load, I'd love to see it.
@rebelann It wasn't my own photo, it was a Wikimedia one. (I didn't have my camera with me). I tried resizing it but it still wouldn't go.
Oh what a bummer @jaboUK I looked up Morris dancers on wikipedia and found this:
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia Jump to: navigation, search Cotswold Morris with handkerchiefs Culture of England History People Languages Traditions Mythology and folklore Cuisine Festivals Religion Art Literature Music and performing arts Media Spo
@rebelann So now you know about them . Some of the dancers today were women, which was unusual in the old days.
Love, love your hanging basket. Not feeling my best today, so no fun.
@marlina You haven't been too well for a while now have you? So sorry, I hope you pick up soon. The basket is brimming with flowers, isn't it? That's the way I like it
@jaboUK Thank you Jabo. I love this kind of baskets the best. But where did you get the impatiens?
@marlina I got them from our local nursery. I didn't plant any for a couple of years as they got some sort of disease (not just mine, but widespread throughout the UK), but I thought I'd give them another try.
@WorDazza (8649)
• Manchester, England
Thank you for that advert on behalf of The English Tourist Board. Are you sure this actually happened and you aren't just quoting from a Midsommer Murder script or Agatha Christie novel??
@WorDazza Yup - every word is true, and as far as I know there were no murders committed!
@WorDazza (8649)
• Manchester, England
@jaboUK Not committed or just not discovered yet?
@WorDazza Well who knows???
@VivaLaDani13 (16366)
• Perth, Australia
@jaboUK Such a beautiful photo! You really do share the most lovely photos on here. Always colourful when it's about your garden. I am glad you had such a great day that day. Really sounds like a fun and relaxing day.
@Daljinder (19932)
@VivaLaDani13 Oh look who is back
Thanks Dani, I appreciate your comment. Have you been away for a while too? I took 2/3 months off from the site.
• Perth, Australia
@Daljinder Taking baby steps to get back into it. @jaboUK I think I have been away as much as you have. I have commented here and there but not as much as I used to. Trying to get back into the swing of things and hopefully do more on here.
As I was reading your post
Did your comment get cut off?
@jaboUK Oh what happened to my post! I have just seen it like that today. Anyway, as I was saying, "As I was reading your post, I was imagining the place and can see you all having fun." When there are dancing the event can really become so much fun.
@SIMPLYD Lol - thanks for coming back. Yes the dancing is fun even if we were just watching
What a lovely way to spend Sunday. There are events planned every Sunday in summer, most of the time is music with free appetizers and a drink. Yesterday it was cloudy and they had announced thunderstorms, we stayed at home, it rained a little but no storms.
@LadyDuck That's great that you have events on every summer Sunday. Our town is just doing it for the month of July. We are going to attend a jazz session at the end of the month - we like traditional jazz.
@jaboUK The Jazz Festival is during the month of August, not far from here, but it is 40 minutes drive.
@LadyDuck When we were younger we used go to Jazz festivals and stay at the venue for 2/3 days.
Your flower basket is stunning with it's vibrant colors. It sounds like the perfect Sunday. I had a birthday celebration today, which was very good.
@just4him I read your post about your celebration, I'm pleased it went well for you. Regarding the flowers - I really love bright colours.
@jaboUK I saw that. Thank you. I love the vibrancy of them. They look so alive, so stunning! You have the perfect mix of flowers for that basket.
@just4him When I plant them I'm never sure just how they'll turn out, so it's gratifying when they look good.
It sounds ideal, no matter where one lives. My granddaughter left for London today. She will be there three weeks and I am very jealous!
@Jeanniemaries I hope your granddaughter manages to see more than London, I don't enjoy the place - far too bustling and busy.
@jaboUK yes I think they're going to do quite a bit of traveling over the three weeks they're there .
@Jeanniemaries That's good.
@Ceerios (4775)
• Goodfellow, Texas
@jaboUK - Ms Janet - Seems to me that "old folks" should ease back on such strenuous activity as watching dancers and actors at their work. Flower-growing (yes). Dancer-watching (probably not). No matter that. It is quite acceptable to enjoy a nice Sunday afternoon. Glad you did so. -Gus-
@Ceerios Oh yes I'll have to be careful not to overdo the sitting in a chair and being entertained!
@Ceerios (4775)
• Goodfellow, Texas
@jaboUK - "Overdo?" Isn't that what happens when you leave stuff on the kitchen stove for too long a time? -Gus-
What a colourful hanging basket! I can imagine you were immersed in joyful atmosphere the whole afternoon.How often do you have a outside performance there?
Well this is England so we can't rely on good weather even in the summer. There's usually an alternative - in this case they would have performed in the church hall if it was raining. However there are a lot of outdoor music festivals scattered around the country - if it rains there, they just get wet!
@jaboUK That is to say, they give the performance in all weathers.At least that brings joy and variety to your life .
@changjiangzhibin89 It does indeed
Your day was lovely. Happy you enjoyed it.
@popciclecold Yes, we were lucky to have such a perfect day
@jaboUK I meant to mention how beautiful your flowers are.
@popciclecold Thank you, I took the photo this morning
@Lucky15 (33691)
the weather is indeed perfect. *staring at the colorful flowers*
@Lucky15 Hi Reine, haven't seen much of you lately, though I've not been here a lot myself. Thanks for liking my flowers.
@Lucky15 (33691)
@jaboUK i just got back janet :) i mean from months of being away from here :)
@Lucky15 I'm glad to see you
• Denmark
I know about Morris dancers. There is no photo above your post. :-(
@MALUSE Yes, I don't know why it wouldn't load, so I've put some of my flowers there instead.
• Denmark
@jaboUK Your flowers are probably better looking than the dancers. :-)
@MALUSE Lol - that is true!
Sunday was weird...I laid down about 3:30 in the afternoon for a short nap (it was extremely hot and I was getting worn out from it) and woke up 9 hours later.
@JolietJake Oh my goodness, that must have really messed up your sleep pattern.
@jaboUK I'm usually up at 2-3 in the morning anyway, but it did make yesterday a bit long
@RubyHawk (21393)
• Atlanta, Georgia
Love your beautiful flowers. Your outing sounds like some churches all day singing and dinner on the ground. Of course they have tables but everyone brings food and sings.
@RubyHawk Yes, it does sound similar, except that the food was provided and we didn't actually do any singing.
@RubyHawk (21393)
• Atlanta, Georgia
@jaboUK It sounds like an enjoyable way to spend the day.
Just a Thank You Note here for showing us so many beautiful flowers: I hope that you enjoy this beautiful piece of music. I have listened to it for as long as I can remember things. Tchaikovsky - Waltz of the Flowers
Tchaikovsky - Waltz of the Flowers video
That's very thoughtful of you @marlina, I'm listening to it right now. Beautiful, thank you.
@jaboUK You are so very welcome!
@silvermist (15794)
What a nice way to spend a Summer Sunday.The picture of flowers are very lovely.
@silvermist Yes, it was a day to remember, and thanks for liking my flowers.
@silvermist (15794)
@jaboUK You are welcome.The flower arrangement has a good combination of colors.
Found this website: They have them, I don't understand why they are available in England and not here in Canada.
Thompson & Morgan has a range of busy lizzie plants to buy online in the UK. With all types of busy lizzie plants available for delivery - Buy Online Today!
@marlina Aha - you see that I wasn't making that name up!
@jaboUK It was my first time ever that I saw the impatien named that way.
@nanette64 (13873)
• Fairfield, Texas
Absolutely gorgeous flowers @jaboUK . It sounds like you had a really nice Sunday. I have heard of the Morris Dancers. It rained like crazy here yesterday.
@nanette64 I expect rain is quite welcome in your area? Glad you like my flowers.
@nanette64 (13873)
• Fairfield, Texas
@jaboUK We had more rain than usual for June and July is starting off that way too.
I didn't do much on my Sunday; It was a quiet day with Marty Hamster at home. I did do laundry which I really enjoy doing and some reading. I think your Sunday sounds splendid. Glad you got to go to the event . It sounds like a great time. I think your hanging basket is amazing in its beauty. The flowers all go perfectly with each other, and it is all around gorgeous! Hope you hve a just as great day on Monday!
@Marty1 Thank you Jennifer, I'm happy that you like my basket. I hope you have a good week.
@jaboUK I hope you have a good week, too! I don;t have much planned this week, so It is a rare occasion when my calendar is empty most of the week!