Do you ignore phone calls from unknown numbers?

Staten Island, New York
Whenever I get a call from a number I do not know I never pick up. Sometimes I am nervous or scared to pick up the phone, but usually it's because it could be telemarketing or spam calls, which I do not want to deal with. So, what I do is just ignore the calls, and then go to White Pages online and do a reverse phone look up to see who called me. The thing is, unless it's a home phone number, it usually doesn't say who it is that called. But I can find out if the spam risk is high or low, which is rather helpful. Maybe it's not a good thing to ignore the calls, but I figure if it's important, the person calling will leave a message, and I can always call that person back if I think I should. There are people though that simply do not leave messages. In that case I am out of luck... I remember I used to get calls from someone saying they are from the IRS investigating department. I wouldn't pick up the phone. They'd leave a long message telling me there is a warrant for my arrest and asking me to call them back. Of course, I never did, so they'd call back from the same number or from a different number altogether. Usually it'd be the same person, but sometimes not. I knew that this was spam and I never fell for this, but I've heard that there were people that did and gave up their personal info, including bank account info. Do you ignore calls from numbers you do not know? Have you ever had the same number call you back time and time again?
Yes I do entirely tho admittedly I get very few calls thankfully.
@nomus24g (22823)
Yes, I dont take calls from unknown numbers...I had a legal case pending and used to receive threatening calls, that's why I stopped taking unknown calls...
• Staten Island, New York
I definitely wouldn't want to pick up the phone from unknown callers if I was receiving threatening calls.
@nomus24g (22823)
@lovebuglena right...
I dont check messages so anyone leaving one is not getting me. I will always answer unknown numbrs as long as my family is alive. I never forget the day my daughter was in trouble and called from a strangers phone. I cried with joy that I could answer that call. I was at the bus stop and something happened. I could only use a strangers phone. Adrain was not into picking up strange calls. I said you never know it could be your daughters one day. Well, that day in an emergency he answered. I figure if it's spam hang up. A caller with something I am not into hang up. But ignore what could be a loved one in distress never.
• Staten Island, New York
If you never check messages that is a different story. But say someone calls you and you miss the call, but it's from an unknown number, will you just call that number back?
Most of the times I do.
Yeah. Always.
@Tracy04 (10754)
I mostly will avoid calls except those who leave me voicemails or my own local numbers. Especially those incomplete numbers such as 00 or others, who wanted to take those calls? Once I take call, hung up. Then call again. Geez. These numbers aggressively called me. About 10-15 times I guess. What an aggressive spam callers Now those aggressive spam callers has been blocked, thanks to call blocker app. Although they call with same number again, I wouldn't be distracted especially when working or doing work.
• Staten Island, New York
Sometimes the same spammers you ignore or hang up on will call you from a different numbers so you won't think it's them calling you again... Happened to me before.
@Tracy04 (10754)
@lovebuglena They did that too! Same country code, just different numbers. Same thing I do, block also Hopefully they don't have any more new numbers. Just how much they have numbers to disturb people?
• Staten Island, New York
@Tracy04 My iPhone has this feature where I can block a number, but it seems that they can call and leave a voicemail message anyway, even though the phone doesn't seem to ring.
I always ignore unknown numbers, they are usually telemarketers whom I do not have enough patience to deal with. I think telemarketers are psychologically conditioned to ignore the word no.
• Staten Island, New York
Sometimes that seems to be true. You tell them you are not interesting and they keep on talking as if you never said that.
@dramagirl26 (3360)
• Ringgold, Virginia
Unless the area code is the same as it is for our town, I tend to ignore the call. Most of the time when I search the number it's a telemarketer and I don't have time to deal with them.
• Staten Island, New York
There are times when I get calls from one of my local area codes and it turns out to be scam. I think that maybe wherever they call from they purposefully create a number with the area code that's one from the area of the person they are calling, so this way the person will be more likely to pick up the phone.
@CRK109 (14465)
If I don't know the number, I don't answer. If they leave a message and it's important, I call them back and I add their number to their phone so it will identify them if they call me again. Otherwise, I don't need to deal with unnecessary calls.
We have a talking caller ID - Unless we know the number we don't answer the phone. Most of those calls are computer generated so they do keep calling back again and again.
@carebear29 (28585)
• Wausau, Wisconsin
thats what voicemail is for
If a phone number appears that is not recognized by my husband or me, we let the answering machine take it. Usually those unknown numbers are hang-ups.
I screen all calls. Too many solicitors and scammers.