Teenagers: Do You Have One?

Goethe, a German philosopher said: “If we treat a man as he is, he’ll stay as he is, but if we treat him as if he were the bigger and better person he can become, he’ll become that bigger and better person.” What does all that mean to you? To me, it means that a teenager thrives when he is encouraged and praised for what he/she does right. But, he/she will not thrive and grow into a confident adult, it he/she is constantly criticized and disciplined harshly. I’ve seen it over and over again. Parents who spend more time criticizing than they do praising. Sometimes bosses also do more criticizing than praising their workers. Criticism does not work, as far as improving the personality or work ethics of someone. Praise works much better. Parents and bosses should consider that carefully. Put themselves in the place of the other person. How do they feel when they are criticized all the time. Don’t they respond more readily when they are praised? Teenagers are especially sensitive to criticism. They need constant encouragement. They need “pats on the back” and hugs and kind words and lots of praise, so that they will develop a better view of themselves and not get depressed over the things they do wrong. They are still learning how to be an adult and they need help not criticism. How were you treated as a teenager? What did you respond better to? Criticism or praise?
@Platespinner (16785)
At one point t I had 4 teenagers at once. They are all different some thrive on encouragement, but some need a good swift kick in the butt (figuratively any how) to keep them on track.
I also had four teenagers at the same time and a new baby in the mix. Yes, they need discipline, but it should always be with kindness. But, I know what you mean.
@kepweng (16794)
• Waikoloa, Hawaii
i have no kids and maybe i cannot have one and good for you love your kids until the end and they will love you back
Love is the answer to raising children.
The only teenager I know is the one still existing in my heart.
Yes, there is one that exists in my heart too. I miss those days.
@dollaboy (6223)
I think praise helps me to do well
Keep doing well and make your parents proud!
@dollaboy (6223)
@IreneVincent thanks, Alice. Happy day
@IreneVincent I've raised 2 teenage boys into adulthood. Sadly they were always too smart for me so I was the one getting criticized. They truly are good young men.
I've raised, with my husband's help, FOUR teenage boys and one girl to adulthood and they all turned out well, I think.