My father ..the salesman's agent...

@vandana7 (62442)
Ok...so I went shopping with him long ago... And I was just looking at various garments...and no I am not a fastidious person making a person pull out 110 things before picking one. I tell them upfront this is my budget, and show me on the shelf where things in my budget are. The training of salesperson is show something that is a tad more expensive than the person's budget. Believe me, that is how the system works. But here I was perusing something (for gift) and dad asked the adjacent salesman to pull out something and another...and I finished my purchase and then dad says I have asked him to pull out 10 odd sarees, buy at least one...excuse me? Then he sifts the entire set and points towards one that is cheapest (decent print) and then tells me buy this one...at least, he (salesman) will get some commission. But dad that is polyester, I sweat profusely in that stuff... Please vandu... Not one chance in a million...I can't even give it to my maid...she too wears cottons like me. Sulk sulk sulk...you don't understand how difficult the life of salesman is...it is tiring thing...standing the whole day folding clothes and showing them. Sure...so I end up buying something that I don't want...just to please dad... Oh I have to find victim who will receive that stuff... The reason I remembered it now? I bought this saree almost 6 years ago, and today I found somebody who will feel glad to receive it...not knowing I am glad to be rid of it. LOL
So he obliged you to buy something you do not use! This is ridiculous, spend a little more, but buy something that you can wear. I also do not wear polyester, I only want natural fibers.
@vandana7 (62442)
Yes...a lot of time this happens...will you believe I went to buy a house..and told dad...please dad..let me do the talking...please do not talk there..it interferes with my thinking...he agreed like a kid that he would behave well...out there I was clinching the deal for something at about 100 INR less per sft than what the guy was quoting...and this gentleman tells me, but Vandu, you can't get anything as beautiful in and around that place for the rate that gentleman is quoting...naturally that guy did not relent after that, and the deal fizzled off.
@vandana7 Oh goodness, you should close him inside the house when you have to make a deal.
@vandana7 (62442)
@LadyDuck .. He starts getting depressed, feels less important...dispensable...that does not feel too good. But it is always the case with him. ALWAYS. lol.
@crossbones27 (18553)
• Redlands, California
Sounds like you need more freedom when shopping to do your own thing and buy what you want.
@vandana7 (62442)
Indian men are like that...even Starlight above experienced it...smh.
• Redlands, California
@vandana7 No wonder they say god is everywhere huh? I make bad jokes
@vandana7 (62442)
@crossbones27 .. I make even worse...he is definitely not there in loo...try calling him when you have constipation...he does not help.
@silvermist (19804)
I understand this story .My husband used to ask me to buy sarees which I disliked just because he did not want to disappoint the sales man.Of course he is willing to pay for it.But I hate wearing some of them. Now I am older and wiser and I refuse to buy or wear them.
@vandana7 (62442)
They are so funny, right? I explained to dad ..look by buying something for which no demand exists or demand is less, we encourage growth of wrong industries, and then there are defunct companies. We should only buy what we want, and what we need...he nods then but the next time, the story is the same.. lol
@silvermist (19804)
@vandana7 It is no use.Leopards and his spots,you know.
@hora_fugit (5437)
Quite a good name he has for you!
@DaddyEvil (23496)
• Aurora, Missouri
You are too funny, YOU! Zealous, Eager and Friend... Hmmm... not quite what I pictured that to mean, either!
@topffer (33224)
• France
Pleasure to get rid of and joy to receive is what makes the better deals.
@vandana7 (62442)
Absolutely!!! Every time I was settling my shelf it used to be there and I used to tell dad...look what you made me do..its cost was not as much as me grumbling against it...well, the watchman's daughter delivered a child, and everybody gives something. I am giving away this saree. LOL
At least you found someone to give it to.
@vandana7 (62442)
Yeah...it sure was a reminder of that day..lol
@Micmac (7700)
Shopping sometimes can be a pain as you never know what to expect when you go looking for a product. I don't like polyester material, except that it doesn't get wrinkled easily and saves time from ironing, but yeah, it's too uncomfortable to wear in warm weather and is itchy. I got ticked off when I recently ordered a pair of summer pants made of spandex/nylon/rayon and the material actually felt like some horrible rubbery material - much hotter than polyester Too bad you couldn't exchange the sari at that time for a cotton one, though your dad probably wouldn't agree.
@vandana7 (62442)
So I found a victim who wears that kinda of stuff regularly. lol And she loved it!!! Yes...but my problem usually comes because of size, and colors that are not fast enough..sigh.
@Micmac (7700)
@vandana7 Oh that's good vanny you were able to find someone who appreciates that kind of material. I prefer to shop online, a good way to avoid the salespeople and waiting on those long checkout lines.
@vandana7 (62442)
@Micmac .. I know...that day, it was a "gift" thing...so could not wait for the thing to arrive...kind of.
@vsai2008 (7667)
Parents are like that, my mom and dad too buy such stuff for me which I never wear I keep donating them to an orphanage whenever possible without them knowing LOL
@vandana7 (62442)
I think they view things from the perspective of their generation. Back when they were little kids or even in twenties...these things just arrived in the country and were coveted. So to them such things are considered valuable. I run a million miles when he tries to tell me to buy silk sarees. He likes them all heavy and lots of design...loud colors. I keep telling him, world is changing. It does not register in his mind. sigh.
@vsai2008 (7667)
@vandana7 Yes, they stick a bit strong to their choices lol How are you doing today?
Cotton is the only thing to wear I agree. Polyester is sad. I would not wear it Vanny, glad you found someone to give it to.
@vandana7 (62442)
Polyester is like you sweat, and sweat and sweat and sweat...and feel you never had bath..I hate that feeling...after menopause the situation has only gone worse...
@vandana7 Yes it is itchy as well..my skin cannot tolerate it at all Vanny.
@alberello75 (16520)
• Genova, Italy
I know, the seller's life is no easy. I often go with my mother in clothing stores. People try their clothes and let them around. Not even put them in their place. However, I was expecting that the salesman's agent often suggest slightly out-of-budget items. Speaking about your topic, your satisfaction was to have bought something that gratifies your father. Are you happy now?
@vandana7 (62442)
I gratified him because I was in rush, had other things on my mind. lol. But really...sometimes parents are just that...unable to accept their children are grown ups.
@alberello75 (16520)
• Genova, Italy
@vandana7 My mother tells me: "Dear Alessandro, now you grew, you are a man!". But I still do not believe it!
• Pamplona, Spain
Have you got a chance to go on your own then ever? I don´t like that kind of material either. I have had to buy things that I don´t really like but needed because we are in a part that has very little choice of shops of any kind at the moment. I would have to go to the Coast of Alicante to find what I really want because British people sell there too.
@vandana7 (62442)
Oh to that extent, I am independent...that was an aberration...kinda..we were in a rush and combined a few chores ..and it got me into buying something that does not even qualify for buyer's remorse..lol
• Pamplona, Spain
@vandana7 I know what you mean. I have bought a blouse that afterwards I did not care too much for but I can wear it in colder weather when its really cold under a jumper of some sort.
@DaddyEvil (23496)
• Aurora, Missouri
LOL! I do purchase some garments that are polyester, vanny... but a saree is not male attire. I buy my underwear made from polyester and most of my shirts are polyester, too. I sweat heavily (even in cold weather). Polyester wicks sweat from my body, cooling me.
@vandana7 (62442)
Why do you wear polyester then..wear cottons..they are great!!! You have to iron, of course...but for home wear..ironing is not all that important..or you could opt for 70 percent cotton, 30 percent polyester..that polycotton. You don't have to suffer as much heat, and you don't have to iron either.
@Inlemay (16484)
• South Africa
I am glad someone will make use of it eventually - you held onto it for 6 years, thats long enough
@vandana7 (62442)
Way ..way too long...it cost me about 300 bucks..that is about 5 dollars, dad must have heard me grumbling at least as many times..lol
@iridion9 (6287)
nice story of a salesman lol
@vandana7 (62442)
Yeah..lol