Have you created a new dessert lately?

Sweet Potato, dessert
@thelme55 (13966)
Germany
It might not be a new dessert for you but for me. I am fond of experimenting food to eat. Usually, the ingredients come from scratch. Last night I made Sweet potato dessert with pomegranate. It was the first time I have made it and boy I was happy of the delicious result. Last Tuesday, I boiled 2 large sweet potatoes. I had eaten one but the other one was still in the kettle yesterday evening when I arrived home from work. I was no longer hungry of the sweet potato as I preferred eating the leftover food that we had. I didn't like the thought of throwing the boiled sweet potato so I was searching in my fridge for ingredients that could go with it. I still had condensed milk, also leftover from making cake pops. My pomegranate was about to wrinkle on my fruit stand. I remember from my childhood that I was eating boiled sweet potato tossed in condensed milk and Star margarine (Philippines margarine). The idea was there in my mind and so I made my dessert. I made Sweet Potato dessert out of mashed potato, condensed milk, soft butter and vanilla. I then decorated this with pomegranate and put this in the fridge until this morning. When I was still making this dessert I kept on trying and tasting it. I let my "guinea pig" hubby tried it and he loved it. "It felt and tasted like Christmas". That was what he said. Yummy! Next time I will make plenty of this to give to my friends. Have you tried making a dessert out of your imagination from your childhood? Thanks for reading and I hope you are blessed by many things in your life.
Thanks for this great idea Thelma! I love both of those ingredients. I have recently made a banana desert with ice cold banana frozen in the freezer in chunks and then whipped up in the blender with fresh ginger..so delicious like ice cream.
what a unique combination - banana and ginger
@thelme55 (13966)
You are very welcome @TiarasOcenView. I have not tried to put ginger in my frozen banana dessert. Thanks for the idea. I will try that.
@thelme55 (13966)
@hereandthere yes, it is indeed unique. It is very healthy.
@CinnamonGrl (5740)
• Paradise, California
I think other than fancying up ice cream, I don't remember ever "creating" a dessert. If yours tasted like Christmas, it must have been delicious!
@thelme55 (13966)
Yes, it was indeed delicious. Actually I was planning to let my friend tried it today but I changed my mind as I didn't make a lot. Thanks @CinnamonGrl
@YesWay (3452)
@cinnamongrl anything that tastes like Christmas is a winner!!
@thelme55 (13966)
@YesWay I think so. Happy weekend.
Yes I have with success, my dad said it tasted mike moms. I make a sweet potato pie kind of like you made this.
@thelme55 (13966)
I was thinking of making potato pie but I didn't want to put the oven on @andriaperry. Maybe next time.
@hereandthere (28869)
i think that's how they make ube halaya, too, with condensed milk and margarine.
@thelme55 (13966)
I think that is similar but the taste is different. I love the taste of the sweet potato than the ube @hereandthere
@YesWay (3452)
@thelme55 Sweet potato and pomegranate sounds tasty
@thelme55 (13966)
Yes, it was @YesWay. Enjoy your weekend
@YesWay (3452)
@thelme55 Thank you, you too
I love sweet potato so I'll definitely try your dessert recipe.
@thelme55 (13966)
Yes, try it @Kandae11. Thank you. Have a great weekend.
I've made many desserts from what's on hand and seldom found them bad, they were all good. I'm glad this one is good for you.
@thelme55 (13966)
That's great @just4him. I am glad about that, too.
That was a yummy dessert you created!!! I do not like to bake or cook, so my husband is the dessert maker. He makes some good ones.
@Lucky15 (33434)
If there is something i am not good at, making desserts :(
@thelme55 (13966)
How do you know that you are not good at making desserts @Lucky15? Have you tried?
@Lucky15 (33434)
@thelme55 With baking,yes
@thelme55 (13966)
@Lucky15 you don´t have to bake this recipe. Only cook the sweet potato and mash it. Then mix all the other ingredients and place the dessert in the fridge until eaten. That´s it.
@Srbageldog (8246)
I have come up with desserts but they are usually based off a recipe. Like I'll start with a recipe to go off of, and then change it to have other ingredients, so the end result is nothing like the original recipe. But I have never just made any dessert from scratch like that.
@thelme55 (13966)
I see @Srbageldog. Sometimes I did what you did and tweaked the recipes and they came out very different from the recipe I followed. I love experimenting in food.
@thelme55 Me too. One dessert I remember my siblings and I came up with when we were younger was chopping up apples (or bananas) into a pot with melted butter, then adding in sugar, cinnamon and vanilla extract, and stirring until it had thickened a bit. It was like apple pie filling (or banana if you were using that) but without the pie. We would just eat it straight out of a bowl. But I can't remember ever really coming up with anything besides those two things.
@thelme55 (13966)
@Srbageldog that sounds delicious though. I might try that as a filling in a pie. Thanks.
@RubyHawk (21570)
• Atlanta, Georgia
your dessert looks delicious. Yes, I put things together that I have in the refrigerator. Sometimes if I have a few blueberries and strawberries I put them together for a pie or apples and pears. I refuse to waste food.
@thelme55 (13966)
We are of the same kind @RubyHawk. I refuse to waste food, too.
@RubyHawk (21570)
• Atlanta, Georgia
@thelme55 Some people buy too much food and throw it in the garbage. It's a terrible waste whensome people go hungry.
@thelme55 (13966)
@RubyHawk so true. I agree with you. Those people have not experienced a time in their lives without food to eat.
@Platespinner (16533)
Is Philippines margarine different from the ordinary kind?
@thelme55 (13966)
Philippines margarine is a bit salty @Platespinner. I can eat it without anything else.
@thelme55 Interesting. I would have assumed that margarine was margarine. I assumed wrong.
@thelme55 (13966)
@Platespinner I think every country has its own taste of margarine or butter.
@YrNemo (11136)
That looks very decorative.
@thelme55 (13966)
Not only that @YrNemo but also tasty.
@YrNemo (11136)
It sounds yummy! I make up meals rather than desserts.
@thelme55 (13966)
It was @DianneN. Making up meals is very challenging.
@acelawrites (10933)
That's a nice dessert! Yes, sometimes I also experiment on my cooking and happy if my family appreciates it.
@thelme55 (13966)
So do I. I was always happy to see the happy faces of those who ate the food that I made. Thanks @acelawrites
@Jotomy (6316)
Potato dessert I will make it this time, looks so pretty yummy.
@Phelly02 (467)
I love desserts and i love to eat.
• Guangdong, China
wow, looks so great!
• Riga, Latvia
It looks very good and sounds delicious. I am not making any kind of special food for myself now. Just eating everything that is almost ready made.
I have not.. i make the same 5 or so things