Favorite Soundtrack Albums #8 - Sid and Nancy

Colorado Springs, Colorado
Sometimes, the music is the best part of a movie. In other cases, the soundtrack is a perfect enhancement to the film. Such is the case with the latter, #8 in my Favorite Soundtrack Albums series: Sid and Nancy. The story behind the score for the 1986 movie Sid and Nancy is interesting. Featuring songs from Joe Strummer, Circle Jerks, The Pogues, Pray for Rain, and star Gary Oldman, the soundtrack itself is awesome. But here is where it gets interesting: much of the film's score was done by Strummer, but credited to fictitious bands in the closing credits because he was, by contract, only allowed to contribute the two songs of his that appeared on the soundtrack album (unfortunately, that unpaid extra work was omitted from the record.) That being said, it's the three short instrumental songs from Pray for Rain that really make the Sid and Nancy soundtrack so good, both in the actual film as well as on the record. (This is not a pseudonym for Joe Strummer. Pray for Rain is a San Francisco-based company that does film work.) The link below compiles scenes from the movie, combined with two of Pray for Rain's contributions: "Taxi to Heaven" and "Off the Boat." Enjoy! (Info verified by Wikipedia)
Dedicated to all those who adore the 1986 film "Sid and Nancy". Highest praise to the awesome talent and chemistry of "Gary Oldman" & "Chloe Webb". Of course...
I loved the movie and I will listen to the song when at the computer.
Definitely one of my favorite movies.
@FayeHazel (18491)
Hm, I had never heard of movie. I will go look it up now. :-)
It's one of my favorite movies. It's definitely worth a watch.
@FayeHazel (18491)
@teamfreak16 Interesting... I like Gary Oldman for sure
@FourWalls (14207)
Gee, I wonder why they only let Joe "contractually obligate" to two songs. He was busy with soundtracks then!!
Yeah, I have no idea, other than it was Epic Records' doing. Damn record companies!
@FourWalls (14207)
@teamfreak16 -- "We'll show you for breaking up our cash, er, Clash cow!"
@Tracy04 (10868)
I agree. Sometimes music is the best part of the movie or drama. That music makes the movie or drama more alive and meaningful.
Yep. A great soundtrack can really help a movie to be that much better.
@Tracy04 (10868)
@teamfreak16 yeah, somehow we are attracted to the music more than the movie or drama itself
A solid flashback to the "good old days"!
I've read that people who knew Sid and Nancy have said that Gary Oldman and Chloe Webb absolutely nailed it.
I know of Sid and, Nancy, but I don't think I have seen it.
If you like Gary Oldman, you might like it. They say he absolutely nailed it, as did Chloe Webb as Nancy.
@crossbones27 (20264)
• Redlands, California
Definitely interesting, did not know that. Strummer the man and indeed was a well placed instrumental. I liked it
Pray for Rain has appeared on a few soundtracks of movies by director Alex Cox.
@kepweng (16794)
• Waikoloa, Hawaii
nice video and thumbnail like a movie
I'm glad you like it.