Creating Serenity

Pleasant Hill, California
My 8-year-old neighbor friend and I recently made some "rafts" out of popsicle sticks and wine corks. We experimented with them at the pool, and found that they eventually start to fall apart if you make them with (water-based) wood glue. We reinforced them with Gorilla Glue and then headed to the pool with his mom and some neighbor friends (from Bulgaria) the other evening. He and I had gone to the Dollar Tree to buy some candles, and his mom brought some snacks and beverages. We swam a bit, and then "launched" our rafts into the pool and watched them as they floated about. It was a really lovely evening! Do you have ways that you "create" serenity?
Yes, stay offline.
• Pleasant Hill, California
Hmm. What about being on-line amps you up? I'm pretty relaxed right now, because all I HAVE to do is a few progress notes, and I can do them at my own pace.
• Marion, Kansas
This sounds lovely. I got the same serene feeling sitting out in the dark last night.
• Pleasant Hill, California
I like sitting outside in the dark as well.
I do. Right here in my own room. My daughter shares flowers from outside with me. I light candles and such. Very serene and nice.
• Pleasant Hill, California
That's the perfect place. I try to do the same when I'm relaxing and grading papers.
@TheHorse ......I think so.
• Pleasant Hill, California
@celticeagle Here's a picture I took on my balcony the other night. I was getting started on a set of speakers (I refinish them) and wanted to create a calm mood. I brought the speaker out right after I snapped the picture and got to work. It was relaxing.
@Morleyhunt (16675)
I've gone to sit out on the deck with a good book and a large drink of water. It is so peaceful.
• Pleasant Hill, California
That sounds great. I do most of my reading in bed.
@Morleyhunt (16675)
@TheHorse I can never seem to get the light or the angle quite right when I try reading in bed...a recliner...that works.
• Pleasant Hill, California
@Morleyhunt I've experienced that too. Right now, I have a light that seems to work well. And four pillows so I can be comfy.
@JustBhem (22506)
• Davao, Philippines
Oh, that's pretty cool. So it floats with a candle?
• Pleasant Hill, California
Yes, the corks on the bottom make it float. The candle stays above water (unless we make a pretend hurricane).
@JustBhem (22506)
• Davao, Philippines
@TheHorse Wow. That's cool.
• Pleasant Hill, California
@JustBhem After the swimming was done, we just kicked back and watched.It was nice.
I have prepared appetizers on our small table near the couch. We are going downstairs soon and enjoy a drink, slowly eating our appetizers, may be playing some old records.
• Pleasant Hill, California
I'll be right over. Can I bring some of my old records? What will you be listening to?
@TheHorse We were listening to Italians songs of the late 60's, the years we were young.
• Pleasant Hill, California
@LadyDuck Makes me want to listen to Gordon Lightfoot!
Skip navigation Sign inSearch Loading... Close Yeah, keep it Undo Close Watch QueueQueueWatch QueueQueue The next video is startingstop Loading... Watch Queue Queue __count__/__total__ Loading... Find out whyClose TrixxyKatt Loading... Unsubscribe from Tr
@fishtiger58 (30737)
• Momence, Illinois
what a wonderful thing I love your story. when my kids are happy and are doing well that's when I have the most amazing serenity in my life.
• Pleasant Hill, California
I can relate to that. When I'm at the preschool, and see four groups of four happy kids playing away, and nobody is arguing, I am happy.
@fishtiger58 (30737)
• Momence, Illinois
@TheHorse There is nothing better in life than a smiling child. They can make the darkest day bright again.
• Pleasant Hill, California
@fishtiger58 I agree! A child's smile can light up a whole room.
@RubyHawk (21448)
• Atlanta, Georgia
I'm glad you made time for your little friend. You're a good man. I create serenity by meditation or reading.
• Pleasant Hill, California
I enjoy reading. I try to make everything I do a meditation.
@RubyHawk (21448)
• Atlanta, Georgia
@TheHorse That's the way to look at it. I suppose we can call it meditation any time we're thinking quietly.
@DrEdwi (52)
I remember when I was a teenager I could go to a hill near our home, sit on the Rocks and tune to Radio free Africa or Radio one from Uganda and look down at our village. I miss the times.
• Pleasant Hill, California
That sounds great! What kind of music did they play?
@DrEdwi (52)
@TheHorse Various genres for RFA I could listen to reggae music and Tanzanian Bongo music while on Radio they played Ugandan music.
I sat on the verandah today with a book and enjoyed some warmth and sunshine after the cold miserable days we've had since we arrived home.
• Pleasant Hill, California
That sounds good. Things will be warming up for you soon. I feel the cool Fall air on my feet as I type.
Other than riding my bike, I really don't.
• Pleasant Hill, California
Riding your bike sounds good to me. I do that too, and generally feel at peace when doing so.
@kepweng (6349)
nice that the candle can float in water it magic?
• Pleasant Hill, California
My hunch is that the nine corks help.
@cahaya1983 (9597)
Sit in the balcony and enjoy the view of nature from there. At night it's even better.
• Pleasant Hill, California
I love sitting on my balcony and playing guitar or refinishing speakers. Especially in the evening.
@Platespinner (18533)
I try to walk 3 or so miles every day. Getting outside in the fresh air, away from all the gadgets and gizmos that are so much a part of modern life is essential to my sanity. Sitting down with some hand sewing works too.
• Pleasant Hill, California
Yep, I use the kids I work with as an excuse to take short hikes. It helps calm them as well.
@crossbones27 (15116)
• Redlands, California
Awesome and indeed in my messed up own little way. Have to have some serenity.
• Pleasant Hill, California
Hope you have places where you can find it.
• Eugene, Oregon
Yoga can create some serenity for me, but I don't do it often enough. I am reminded of Jerry Stiller's character on Seinfeld yelling "Serenity now."
• Pleasant Hill, California
Oh, I don't remember that!
@dodoazo (11201)
By doing so, the raft, the lighted candles on the pool floating bring you the inner serenity because your creation works. The happiness within among you manifests that calmess. It's worry-free. Am I not correct?
• Pleasant Hill, California
I think the fact that we created the rafts, and bouth the candles, helped. It's empowering to know you can create beauty and calm.
@EMuhungi (1748)
• Nairobi, Kenya
That must have been a very good experience for you and your 8-year-old neighbor friend,
• Pleasant Hill, California
I think everyone involved had a good time. It was quite a contrast to the usual fast pace of life in the San Francisco Bay Area.