Crime gone unreported and ignored at a Dart bus stop - 10.7.17

Dallas, Texas
Saturday, October 7, 2017 - Dart bus stop, Dallas, TX unconscious person on the ground. We drove Southbound on South Hampton Rd. to the post office and to run errands at around 9:50 and when we were driving we both noticed what looked like, from a distance, was a pile of clothes laying on the ground at the Dart bus stop at the corner of Hampton at Kiest. But as we continued to drive closer to the intersection both of us realized that what first appeared to be clothes was in fact a person laying face down on the ground, legs outstretched, on their stomach, and arms out stretched. It looked like a person had been shot. Thoughts of death entered into my mind and my instincts clicked into fast mode. I got out my cell and started dialing 911. As we had driven just a block or so further Southbound on Hampton, just past the Hampton-Kiest interesction, I spotted a Dallas Police squad car sitting at the corner of a side-street facing East towards Hampton Rd. We slowed down and stopped at the curb just a few paces down from the police vehicle. I got out as fast as I could, waving my hands in the air to get the officer's attention. The officer, a female Dallas police officer, opened the passenger front window and I quickly informed her of what we just saw, basically indicating to the officer that A PERSON IS LAYING ON THE GROUND APPARENTLY UNCONSCIOUS, AT HAMPTON AT KIEST NEXT TO A BUS STOP. The lady officer replied, "I'll call it in, thank you." - I walked back to our car and got in and we drove on. My thoughts were, "Why would a person be lying down in this manner? Maybe they were passed out, maybe even dead. Why would all the passers-by just drive on past and not even stop to render aid? Was this poor lady, as it appeared that person was a female from general observation, an adult, African-American wearing ordinary clothing but wearing a back pack, like so many people do. It made me think about all the apathetic motorists. It made me wonder, just how long was that person lying there? Did someone shoot that person dead? Did that person fall from being in a drunken stupor? Could it have been murder? Later I was at home with my wife, wondering to myself about the situation and if that person, perhaps a lady, was still alive and what possible crime had been committed and lost hours of sleep from it. I even broke out into tears and tole my wife, "How can people be so cruel as to drive right by an unconscious person and act like they were invisible or that SOMEONE ELSE WILL TAKE CARE OF IT?" Well, I did take care of it. I got involved. I talked directly to a Dallas Police officer and am glad that I might have even saved that unfortunate person's life. It will take many days for me to get this event out of my mind but I wanted to share it with everyone at myLot to provide comments on this situation and offer their own stories about similar events in their everyday lives. Dallas, Tx is a very large city and crime occurs every few minutes 24/7-365. No off days.
I have seen on TV (real people, not shows) with big problems at the streets. The people around them take their cell phone and film "the show". Shame! I´d fine them, to say the least.
• Dallas, Texas
That is pretty sad news.
@lookatdesktop I'm proud to know you! It is sad that this country has become so callous to those who seem invisible to so many.
• Dallas, Texas
You said it well, and made a very valid point. Thanks for the good words. I appreciate you.
It was wonderful that you reported it. Shame on anyone who just goes by and ignores it!
• Dallas, Texas
I appreciate that. I posted this information on a local site of which I became a recent member, called Nextdoor and it connects me with the people in my community and they all share local news of missing pets, garage sales, local gossip and local events in the area, including crime watch and crime watch statistics reports. its fun just to read and sometimes participate with the people of my area of residence.
@crossbones27 (21403)
• Redlands, California
Good man and you did right. Happy you were there because many would have not cared.
• Dallas, Texas
Thanks, I appreciate it. Yep. Mostly the people are in a hurry to get from point a to point b with no cares in the world except their own.
So glad you stepped up to the task of alerting the police to this situation. Far too many ignore things that may be quite serious.
• Dallas, Texas
I pray and hope that that lady got the help she needed or at least her body taken where it can be identified if she is deceased and the next of kin informed. I think there is a remote possibility that she was still alive and I am hoping this was the case and that she is getting help at this moment. I can't do any followups because I can look in the local news reports to see if there is any news related to it but seriously doubt it.
@lookatdesktop This is just so sad. I too hope she got treatment and is OK.
You are good people to have reported finding her. Perhaps she could be saved. It sounds like either she was attacked or perhaps a car hit her and left her lying there. Bless you for being there.
• Dallas, Texas
Thanks, and yes, it might be she was hit by a passing motorist. The possibilities are practically endless as to what placed her there on a Saturday morning, dressed for walking and carrying a backpack. She might even be one of the homeless evacuees from the recent floods in Houston and Galveston or Beaumont and Port Arthur.
Record-shattering rainfall hits Texas cities of Port Arthur and Beaumont, unleashing flash floods that claims two lives and displace thousands.