Wonka as compared to Wonka

@FayeHazel (19038)
Up next in my "similar movies" I bring you "Charlie and the Chocolate Factory" (1971) and "Charlie and the Chocolate Factory"(2005).  I guess it's no big surprise that they're similar.  That said for being the same titled movie - they are far different too.  The 1971 version was cute and charming, only dark for a bit.  Willy Wonka in this movie was someone you could almost imagine as a kindly uncle who was just a little bit off.  The 2005 version was a lot darker.  The characters were the same, however in this one Willy Wonka reminded you as someone who would never be described as "kindly" and the kind of uncle that you would want to keep far away from kids.  Here's one of the most addictive scenes from the newer movie:
Warner Bros. Entertainment Inc. All rights reserved.
Yes, I prefer the original.
@FayeHazel (19038)
Me too, though I did really like the scene that I linked to. I don't know why. It just appealed to me :-)
@FayeHazel It's a good scene and, not too mean it wasn't still a good movie. I'm just very partial to the original.
@FayeHazel (19038)
@TRBRocks420 Agree... I'm sorta surprised that the 2005 one was still kinda for kids... it's sorta dark for that
The new Willy Wonka looks a bit sinister. I think I enjoy the cute and charming in the 1971 movie.
@FayeHazel (19038)
The new one is pretty dark.... surprised it's still a "kid" film. Eeek
@LeaPea2417 (21574)
• Toccoa, Georgia
The original 1971 version is far superior to the 2005 version. I love the original version and hate the new version.
@FayeHazel (19038)
I tend to agree. 05 just creeped me out
The new one you say is a lot darker - surely a sign of the times....
@FayeHazel (19038)
I think you're right and that in itself is pretty disturbing
I've seen that version only once. I disliked it immensely. I much prefer the original version with Gene Wilder in the leading role.
@FayeHazel (19038)
So true. Wilder was likeable - maybe a bit odd. Where as Depp is just cold and unlikable in the role
@FayeHazel My son likes Depp, but I've never been able to enjoy his roles. I've seen Pirates of the Caribbean only once. I've seen Alice Through the Looking Glass only once. I give him the benefit of the doubt, but I'm always disappointed.
@FayeHazel (19038)
@just4him Ah, I know what you mean. His acting is... alright. I liked him in "Transcendence" and Capt. Jack is alright too, but he doesn't bowl me over...
@responsiveme (16835)
Actually not really seen them but read all the books ..Dahl's
@FayeHazel (19038)
The book was a favorite of mine as a kid. :-)
@epiffanie (10408)
My boys and I watched that original chocolate factory movie several times ..lol..
@FayeHazel (19038)
I love the lickable wallpaper scene in there
The second one followed the book more closely, as far as I'm concerned, but I will always like the first one better.
@FayeHazel (19038)
Been ages since I read the book... never did like the ending when they blast out of the top of the factory
@cahaya1983 (10039)
I only saw some parts of the new version, but never saw the older one. Not my typical movie genre I guess.
@FayeHazel (19038)
The older one is much better in my opinion
I haven't really watch the 1971. I don't know if I would have all of my teeth if I went to the chocolate factory.
@FayeHazel (19038)
Oh cool, if you get a chance check out the older one. I sort of want to dunk my head in the chocolate river lol
@Scrapper88 (1332)
I have watched both of them. I prefer to watch the 1971 version.
@FayeHazel (19038)
I agree. Surprises me how dark the '05 one is
@kepweng (17705)
• Waikoloa, Hawaii
i get scared in the thumbnail i thought its was chucky?