A Monster Calls

@JESSY3236 (4922)
I finished reading A Monster Calls by Patrick Ness. It is inspired by Siobhan Dowd's books. There is a movie based on the book which I'm watching today. Big Warning: this is a sad book. A Monster Calls is about a teenage boy named Conor. His mother is very sick. He kept having a nightmare. One night a monster who appeared as a tree came to him. He was scared at first and thought it was all a dream. The monster though came in peace and told him three stories. The monster wanted Conor tell a fourth story which is his nightmare. (The stories were really good, imo.) His nightmare was definitely a nightmare. The ending was very sad. I really, really liked this book even though it was really sad. I have one more book to movie book, but it is still on hold. While I'm waiting, I'm going to read The Lincoln Myth by Steve Berry.
I love any book that has a child or teen as the main character. I would enjoy this book.
I found the movie rather somber.
@Kuttu_007 (1022)
Usually I never read sad stories...it makes my mood really bad.. but I prefer watching it on screen..
What would be your rate for it?
@JESSY3236 (4922)
@TheInvisibleMan It's a great book. I would say a 9. Not a 10 because it's so sad. The movie was good too.
@JESSY3236 Don't you like to read movies with sad endings?
@JESSY3236 (4922)
@TheInvisibleMan no. I like happy endings. Although the movie did have different ending than the book.
@silvermist (15827)
I had not read the book.I have been toying with the idea of watching the movie.
I have heard of the Lincoln Myth but never read it. I have it on a list of books i want to read. Maybe i will read it someday soon. Be sure to write a review of it on here! i am going to look for the book a monster calls you so kindly wrote a review on here! You write great book reviews!
Do you enjoy reading non-fiction books as well Jessica ?
@JESSY3236 (4922)
@enlightenedpsych2 I only read a few non-fiction books, but I don't read them very often.
@JESSY3236 when I go to the library I make it a point to rent one fiction and one non-fiction so my brain can be exercised for both of the hemispheres creating an intellectual balance.
@alberello75 (13060)
• Genova, Italy
Although I have no hobby of reading, I really like horror tales. This, if it was made a movie, would certainly be appreciated by me!
@JESSY3236 (4922)
@alberello75 there is a movie, but it's sad too.
@alberello75 (13060)
• Genova, Italy
@JESSY3236 I saw many sad movied. The last one just last night on TV. However I prefer horror movies. This I could see when it will arrives in Italy. Obviously with another title dubbed.
I'm glad you enjoyed the book, even though it was sad.
I love reading books then watching the movie and comparing the two! This books sounds great! Enjoy the movie! I hope it is as good as the book.
• Pamplona, Spain
I have only seen the Trailer to this Film and it seems really good. Have not read the book though as I like to read them in English only.
@LoriAMoore (9745)
That sounds good.