Good Morning! Is That Hereditary?

Anniston, Alabama
I stayed up a little late reading a novel, till 1 am, so I set the clock so not to sleep all day and I was up just after 9:30 this morning. Last night we went out to dinner and to walmart for hooks and Tony a face mask when he is with me and I am working in a dusty area, Anyways, we seen Tony`s kin folks (moms side) and talked to them for a while out in the parking lot. I listen when people talk, well at home I can space out the t.v. when I am writing or reading and Tony, but when just chatting people get my full attention. I often have wondered about some mental health problems, if they are learned, induced by chemical addiction (aka alcohol or drugs), Trauma or if it is actually inherited. When I was very young I wanted to be a doctor and treat people with mental illness, but I did not go that path, however that did not keep me from reading book after book after book on all the different types of mental conditions. I do think that some forms of mental illness is inherited and when you listen to people talk about who is suffering in their family you know. By listening just a short time last night I heard of three generations in one family that does have issues, not exact but almost. and one is not on medication at the moment and this persons actions. Not everyone in a family will inherit, a gene maybe?, but I am seeing how its passed down. Passed down like the alcoholic gene, my dad was an alcoholic and 3 of 4 of his children got that gene, I am the only one that did not. However, at an older age my father stopped drinking as well as my brother and one sister, one still drinks and she is in her late 50`s. I had doubted many times about some forms of mental illness being hereditary but when people open up and tell the truth, my doubts just might be wrong. I do not worry about going crazy or getting any type of illness, nowadays they make pills for sickness, unlike the past. Well Good morning! Deep thinking before work today. Have a wonderful day!
• Pleasant Hill, California
It can be hard to tease apart the genetic from the environmental, because most people grow up in the same families that provided their genes. But there are twin studies, and adoption studies, out there. Mental illness DOES appear to have a genetic component. But environmental factors play a role as well.
• Nairobi, Kenya
I have heard of environmental factors but most of the time people tend to only look for genetics. Our major problem is the refusal to acknowledge mental health issues and lack of support to those who have them especially in the workforce if they can work.
I really do not want to get sucked back into this, I moved to get away from the mentally ill, I am like a magnet, they are drawn to me. This just brought back all those thought.
• Pleasant Hill, California
@chunchunwadaddy The support is there, but people have to take advantage of it.
Some forms of mental illness would be hereditary yes - but as you point out some conditions can be treated with pills - unlike in the past.
And most can lead a normal life and even have career.
• Pleasant Hill, California
@andriaperry Exactly. Talk therapy is hard to get, because most insurers allow you something like 12 visits, at inconsistent times, and that's just not very effective.
• Pleasant Hill, California
@LoriAMoore Does the medication (I assume an SSRI like Celexa is onvolved) "take the edge off"?
I wonder how much mental illness is actually passed through genes and how much is just 'learned behavior' from being in that environment? While I am sure the susceptibility to it may be passed on, some could be attributed to just being raised by 'crazy people'.
I have seen this and that is why I question that some are not really mental ill but its a learned behavior.
@UncleJoe (8609)
• Virginia Beach, Virginia
It might be hereditary. Everybody in my family is crazy except me. I'm only insane.
LOL. Your are their leader.
@UncleJoe (8609)
• Virginia Beach, Virginia
@andriaperry Not me! I'm perfectly normal sometimes.
I know that brain cancer runs in our family, I guess that isn't very common, but I got that gene. Our son got the early hair-loss gene that my brothers all got-not me, I've got lots of hair.
My cousin had a brain tumor and when it was removed he has issues. Brain turmors are common in Anniston because of Monsanto.
@andriaperry I lived in a farming community and so did the 2 others in my family that suffered from them.
@andriaperry I believe that ours were actually hereditary but could have been as a result of sprays because we are all rural. Things have to start somewhere. My Dad had lupus, and it was terrible, a lot of his troubles stemmed from the use of those dangerous chemicals over the years.
I think that mental illness has a genetic component, but I do believe that occurrences in one's environment can set that genetic component into action.
I agree one lady I knew was burned in a fire and after than she was never mentally stable and its understandable, I was with her when they skinned her.
@andriaperry Oh, dear! How awful.
@Corbin5 Its something you never will forget.
Some are hereditary. Others are caused by the external factors such as the environment.
What external factors do you think?
@andriaperry severe trauma during childhood is an example of an external factor. The loss of a parent can also be considered as another. Physical illnesses and poor physical health, when untreated, can also contribute to mental illness.
@thelme55 (11919)
I do believe that mental illness is hereditary. I wonder if we have this in our family. Never heard of one in our family.
@thelme55 (11919)
@andriaperry maybe it s.
i don;t know if i believe in mental illness and heredity Only my one aunt was mentally ill. I ended up getting so much of it. It seems like it is just my aunt who has passed away a few years ago and me who have to suffer from mental illness and the rest of my family is as normal as can be if it is hereditary then why don't my other relatives get curse with mental illness?
I do not know why some have it and some dont, I think the scientist are still looking into that, but that was why I am thinking some have tthe gene and others do not.
@andriaperry I am wondering about that gene and hope to research it further and see what i can find out about it. I am hoping i can find the newest research on it
I have heard it said that some forms of mental disorders can run in families but they say they can't prove it. It makes me wonder if there were any mental issues in either of my parents bloodlines .... uhhh, I know I izzz not krazy, honest, I izz not but I izz whacky.
Being crazy, nutty, a fruit loop or whacky and even stupid is not mental illness, that is what doctors define normal.
Hmmmm, fruit loopy eh @andriaperry ? Yeah, I like that. Well, looks like doctors aren't as dumb as I thought they were
• Riga, Latvia
Never thought about it much. I have added a link that might interest you. I looked it up because you got me thinking. I hope you have a great day. Here it is already 8 PM.
Learn about causes, treatment, and prevention of mental illnesses like depression, bipolar, schizophrenia, and obsessive compulsive disorder.
thank you. Have a wonderful night.
@Emmlex1000 (1417)
• Lagos, Nigeria
Have a blissfully day
Thanks you too.
The team I hate the most, the Denver Broncos, was shut out today. It was a great day!
@studylove (2149)
There are some diseases which are hereditary while others we acquire from our environment. What do you think?