"Life" class

@FayeHazel (16393)
I think there should be a required "Life" class in grade school, 1 in high school and 1 in college.  I think each class should deal with things that people of that age may need to know.  Grade school could be - dealing with bullies, understanding your parent's point of view, taking care of your toys so that they last a long time, and stuff like that.  High school could be - dealing with social pressures, saying "no" comfortably, classes about responsible use of credit, basic sewing, basic cooking and basic car repair.  (I don't know, some of these may be available in "home ec" classes - I was homeschooled.) College could simply be a continuation of the teen aged one.  How to talk to people going through tough times, more advanced cooking skills, home ownership vs. renting, etc...  What do you think?  Song that I like that has life (lifetime, rather) in the title. Just because.
The Official vid to In Our Lifetime by Texas
I couldn''t agree more with you Faye. School should be about life, the stuff we need to know.
@dpk262006 (56109)
You already know about life, you do not need anything more, I believe.
@dpk262006 I surely learned for long years dpk haha
@FayeHazel (16393)
Very true - should be about preparing you for adulthood
It seems that schools do have to teach what parents no longer do, these days. Wish parents would sit down with their children more often and teach or explain the basics of life.
@FayeHazel (16393)
Yes - very true. My parents were and are pretty good about it, though seems like a lot of my peers weren't taught the basics of being an adult
Yes, it would be a good idea, but most of those things should be taught by their parents. However I know that a lot of people don't have ideal parents.
@FayeHazel (16393)
Very true... I know my folks are pretty good about it through the years, though sometimes they are coming from their "lens" or "views" which is fine too...
That much is what I learned from my living at home. My mom taught me in grade school how to deal with bullies. To wait for school class to teach you that would be a disgrace. As a child, my mom taught me toys belong in my room or the trash. Simple as that. I was happy with home ec though.
I had no mother after age 11, I learned it all for myself, or if I asked my dad.
@FayeHazel (16393)
Sounds like your mom dad a great job. Sorry that your dad wasn't present. But sounds like your mom did an awesome job
@FayeHazel (16393)
@1creekgirl Sorry about your daughter in law. I am sure grandson will be forever greatfull
Sadly most high schools that i know of just teach the math, science, language arts, french/spanish, stuff. Not anything actually helpful like cooking or repairs etc. Which would definitely be good use.
@FayeHazel (16393)
Is it true - Home ec class is a thing of the past? That's too bad. You need those skills in life as badly as the rest
@FayeHazel my high school never had them. But one high school has classes for cooking, dentistry, mechanics, etc.
@FayeHazel (16393)
@Courtlynn Wow -- I was homeschooled, so didn't know what all was offered in the public schools. That one school sounds pretty cool
You have a point there. I also think there should be parenting school for young parents to be.
@FayeHazel (16393)
Oh, that is an excellent point and idea
Yes I agree! People need more confidence in those tender years of learning to be social.
@FayeHazel (16393)
Very true there too
@YrNemo (11136)
I would love to know how to fix my car. (will go checking out 'Once in a lifetime' to see what is it!)
@FayeHazel (16393)
I fixed the link, finally. :-) It's a cool song from when I was a teen. :-) I love what basics I know of car repairs. I would like to learn more.
@YrNemo (11136)
@FayeHazel I know not a thing about cars. My brother is a mechanic. I am in awe of him, perhaps that is why!
@FayeHazel (16393)
@YrNemo Oh you are lucky that your brother is a mechanic -- maybe he would show you some basics :-)
Texas! I saw them in Belgium!
@FayeHazel (16393)
Ah Scott, you have seen the coolest bands.
@FayeHazel - They played at a day long festival that I went to.
@FayeHazel (16393)
@teamfreak16 Nice! How were they live?
@fishtiger58 (30380)
• Momence, Illinois
Many kids need to know how to interact with their peers. My son is very very smart but for a few years he wasn't so swift on interacting with his peers.
@FayeHazel (16393)
That's a very good point too. People are hard sometimes, to interact with, etc.
@fishtiger58 (30380)
• Momence, Illinois
@FayeHazel My mother in law was very quiet and hard to get to know, but she was an angel.
@FayeHazel (16393)
@fishtiger58 Sometimes when you bare with quiet people they are quite rewarding to know :-)
@bluesa (13430)
• Johannesburg, South Africa
I love "Once In A Lifetime " by Texas! She has such a deep beautiful voice! Sorry the link didn't work. Yes, school should have prepared us for so much more in life than it actually did.
@FayeHazel (16393)
Very true, she has an awesome voice. I was happy to re-discover this song. I finally fixed the link. :-)
@FayeHazel (16393)
@bluesa Aw shucks, I had such trouble attaching that video too. Happy you were able to find it otherwise though ... awesome song
@bluesa (13430)
• Johannesburg, South Africa
@TheSojourner (17488)
I agree. I thought there were more of these being offered in schools.
@FayeHazel (16393)
I don't keep up at all, I thought that home ec was no longer offered
@FayeHazel I don't think they call it home ec anymore. They call them cooking classes! I think now that they have Junior MasterChef with Gordon Ramsay and other such shows where kids are now coming in, that home ec is making a resurgence.
@FayeHazel (16393)
@CoralLevang Oh that's cool. I didn't know that.
• Nairobi, Kenya
It is also a topic over here where it seems like parents would prefer to have the children at school rather than home. When the schools had to close early due to the elections you would see some parents wondering what they were going to do with such a long holiday. Those basic life principles would be more ideal and effective when gotten from the parents.
@FayeHazel (16393)
It's true -- parents should be the ones to teach these things, though sometimes (car repairs, sewing - basics anyway) maybe they wouldn't know either... and like you mention sort of sad, seems like parents far prefer not spending time with their kids. I have often wondered at the young couples in my area who have large families. -- most often the kids go to day care, then pre-school, school... why did they want so many kids if they aren't spending time with them?
• Nairobi, Kenya
@FayeHazel I would say with the current world time management is one of the major constraints.
@FayeHazel (16393)
@chunchunwadaddy Excellent point there. Time management is one of things things that has always been a struggle for me.
@crossbones27 (18555)
• Redlands, California
I agree and they need to teach ethics with it also. Was that a class way back in the day? I am not sure, but something is clearly off in what we are teaching. All this money we throw at education and what ever we are doing seems to be getting worse, as people more and more seem not to know what life is about. They are teaching the corporate part of life for the most part and nothing else. What I see anyway. We live to work not work to live. When it should be the other way around. Why people are so miserable and just do nothing but fight one an another.
@FayeHazel (16393)
Beautifully worded. I have often thought how that school shapes kids for the working world. Get up, go to school, bring homework home, go to bed, do it over again... Not that it's a bad thing, but work/life or school/life balance seems way out of whack. Ethics, yes! A great addition. Somewhere in there they should teach compassion and that money doesn't equate happy
• Redlands, California
@FayeHazel Thank You and kind of frustrates me a bit. All this talk about opiate addiction, but never people's other addictions like working to much and their addiction to greed. Could be just just as harmful or even more harmful with its impact on society. Mindset of those addictions makes many who do not hold positions of power lives miserable and why they choose to go to opiates to get through the day of never ending work to make other people rich.
@dpk262006 (56109)
It seems a good idea. I think in some of the institutions classes on moral education and general psychology are organised. However, having said that even if we are taught certain aspects of life, we do not fully learn till we experience it. Our practical experiences teach us a lot, rather than bookish knowledge.
@FayeHazel (16393)
That's true too - there is something to be said for experience
@dpk262006 (56109)
@FayeHazel Yes, nothing could beat our own experience.
Those are good suggestions for the age groups.
@FayeHazel (16393)
Oh! I think I would like to add self confidence to the subjects covered
@FayeHazel Definitely!
@m_audrey6788 (13820)
Not bad It can be helpful to kids while they are developing their social skills
@FayeHazel (16393)
So true!
@cahaya1983 (10060)
I believe that the best life class always starts at home but it would also be useful to get input from experts in certain "life" fields. So I think having formal lessons about those subjects would be a great idea.
@FayeHazel (16393)
True, I think also that most of these things should be taught at home, but sometimes it isn't. :-)
It makes sense, but schools have academics to teach. These are parenting skills or home economics skills. However, much is done about bullying these days from elementary through high school.
@FayeHazel (16393)
I do wish that more parents taught these things. Happy to hear that some places do have resources about bullying though, much needed
@kepweng (10966)
nice i experienced before what you write i feel so Down what will you do if your in my shoes?
@FayeHazel (16393)
Sorry to hear that you're feeling down. I find writing about it helps, even if you don't show it to anyone. Do something about the thing that's making you feel down - if possible. If not possible to do something about it - then make yourself busy. Call a friend. Go for a walk - exercise helps greatly even if you don't feel like doing it. Hope that helps