How do you find a church home?

@Daelii (4906)
I know a lot has changed in the religious community since I was a kid. I really miss the sense of community my church had. I was a cross bearer and loved volunteering with the CCD classes or dinners or anything. It felt like home. It was home. Doors were never locked and the Father and other priests lived on the grounds. They didn't lock doors and have "business hours". If you needed to pray in a church you could...any time! Now? Doors are locked. I liked the Catholic church where I lived up north with my husband. Even if at one point I had to argue to be able to take my kids to church it was worth it. Its really been the only time my oldest two attended mass. They made it comfortable to keep a nursing child in the room during mas. The Father was a great blessing for my marriage. But we moved. At first we had no car and worked hard to get one (now we have two!). But my problem is in finding one that's warm and cozy. I don't mind if its Catholic based or not. I'd love one with a regular children study. I can't seem to find one. There have been a few I kinda investigated so to speak and the air of superiority sine people have had just made it feel wrong. Like why is it really hard to find a place that feels like home? To do good and feel a part of doing good? The closest I have found is a local women's missionary. I love being able to be a part of their different prayer groups. Its as close to church as I have found. Is what I'm looking for a thing of the past? Or is it still out there and hard to find?
You will not find what you are looking for anymore. Times have changed and some churches are locked when noone is there.
@Daelii (4906)
Its not even just the locked doors. I can understand the need for that change.. since churches are not sacred anymore. It just doesn't seem welcoming to new people to them. A new neighbor that just moved in to the block so to speak and I were talking. They too can't find a welcoming place either.
I love sitting in my room and watching church shows on tv. I pray in my home and it's the closest I want to feel. I have had my share of churches and I never had that feeling of home. I can't say it enough my home is good enough.
@Daelii (4906)
I need to check some out. I do like a religious radio station that's local. I just really miss the experience of being around other people too. Like it was my mom, aunts, people that I knew growing up and felt pike family. It just felt good doing stuff together for good reasons. If that makes sense?
@sallypup (26355)
• Moses Lake, Washington
It sounds like you are looking for a sense of community. People who care about each other. Maybe volunteer somewhere like the food bank?
• Aberdeen, North Carolina
That's one of the things that I felt bad about in moving from NJ to NC. The kids had made friends their ages at a local youth group and had started attending mass on their own without any push from me and they were happy. Now we need to work on finding something here for them, but the closest church here is a Jehova's Witness church.
It's out there. I recently changed churches - a year ago - I went online to look for a new church. I went to their websites and listened to the sermons, and looked at the activities in the church. I hope you can find a new church and can get grounded in it.