Should we peel the apple skin or not?

@A_loves_B (1616)
Indonesia
This idea is confusing me. My mother always reminds me to peel the apple skin before I eat it. She said the apple skin has been contaminated by toxin from pesticide. Meanwhile some of my friends ever told me that we should never peel the apple as it can waste the vitamins contained in it. What do you say? Image is taken from pixabay
Your mother and your friends are all right! The vitamin C is in the apple skin actually but your mother is just too scared of the pesticides. Try to search on how to clean the apple skin to get rid of the harmful chemicals that's on there! Some people clean it with warm water and salt, some with baking soda. I prefer to eat the apple skin because I want to get the vitamin C.
@A_loves_B (1616)
Haha..Why is it so complicated to eat an apple? I wish I could get the fresh apple from the tree.
@A_loves_B Just make sure that it's an organic one.
@A_loves_B (1616)
@toniganzon Yes, it will be safe if it's organic one. But organic apple is usually much more expensive than the inorganic one.
@rubyriaz007 (4292)
Nowadays we find wax in the apple skin, which if we consume we will have problems.So it is very necessary to remove the skin of apple before having it. I also peel off the skin of the apple before eating.
@A_loves_B (1616)
That:s what I'm afraid of. I don't want to eat the apple skin together with the wax.
If we purchase it from reputed or quality shop??
@A_loves_B (1616)
@ManastheMatrix The story will be different. We might eat it directly before we brought it home.
@sjvg1976 (18407)
Better to wash it properly . It's true that peeling it makes vitamins wasted but these days we need to peel it as people make some polish on apples to make it shine so that they may be able to sell it more with higher prices.
True.. It happens..
Just wash it off, you'll be fine
@A_loves_B (1616)
Thanks. We need the vitamins contained in the apple skin. I wish I could eat the apple fresh from the tree. The apples sold in my country comes from overseas.
@Chantiele (439)
• Johannesburg, South Africa
I normally wash the apple and eat is with the skin. the skin has a lot of vitamins and fibre in it
@A_loves_B (1616)
I agree that apple skin has lots of vitamin and fibre in it. But some people say it is coated with wax for preservation
• Johannesburg, South Africa
@A_loves_B It is coated with wax for preservation. You should just wash the apple before you eat it.
• Uzbekistan
@Chantiele @A_loves_B Coated with wax for preservation? Not if you buy apples from farmers who don't use pesticides. However, the apples I buy do look as if they were coated with wax. How come? The apple farmer has explained to me that the apples kind of perspire when they are plucked and stored in a cool place. After some time the peel becomes waxy and shiny. The woman selling the apples once told me jokingly that she sends her children into the cellar to polish apples with a soft cloth if they don't behave. :-)
Wash the apple properly and eat.. I dont peel it. As your friend said.. It have good effects too.
@A_loves_B (1616)
Do you think it will be enough to only wash it with water?
@A_loves_B yes.. Water is universal solvent.. I will help clean.. But if you feel that the apple is tainted more, you peel it.
I always eat the apple with the skin. Never ever peeled it - ever.
@A_loves_B (1616)
I want to try it.
@A_loves_B go ahead and tell me what you think.
@inertia4 (27713)
Honestly, if it has been contaminated, it went through the skin as well. But I heard using a small amount of peroxide and water will kill anything on the fruit. Then it has to be washed off to remove any residue of peroxide. But my opinion would be to just wash the apple off good. Then it should be fine to eat.
@A_loves_B (1616)
Thank you. I really want to eat it without peeling it first. I need the vitamins and fibre the apple skin has in it.
@inertia4 (27713)
@A_loves_B I hear you. Don't stress it too much. Just wash it off good and you should be fine.
@kepweng (18622)
• Waikoloa, Hawaii
im peeling my apple but i think its not true! do you have a apple Farm??
@A_loves_B (1616)
No, we don't have apple farm. Apples don't grow well in my place. We always import them from other countries
If you buy apples that are shipped from overseas, it would be wise to peel them as they're likely laden with pesticides. However, if your apples are fresh from a tree and grown organically, it's best to consume the skin as well.
@A_loves_B (1616)
We import apples from overseas as apples don't grow well in my country.
@Scrapper88 (1332)
I always eat the peeling on my apples.
@A_loves_B (1616)
Same here. I never ate the apple skin before.
@Mareena (446)
Not necessary. Better to consume without peeling. Wash it before eating...with vinegar...to washoff all pesticides. Dont eat seeds of apple even accidently...its a poison exactly...
@A_loves_B (1616)
It's such a new information for me. I never knew that apple seeds are poisonous.
@prashu228 (25504)
I peel it, as we came to know that they coat the Apple skin with wax for better preservation
@A_loves_B (1616)
Yes, that's what my mother told me about the apple skin. They are coated with wax.
I don't peel the apples unless I use them to make salad. Apple skin is full of different nutrition and we shall not waste it.
@A_loves_B (1616)
That's true. My mother is afraid of the wax coating the apple skin.
I always wash the apples before using them.
@A_loves_B (1616)
So simple. I wish I could do the same. In my country, apples are imported from overseas, so their skin might be contaminated by chemical products such as petsicides and preservation.
@Dyvette16 (1467)
• San Antonio, Texas
I do not peel but I do wash it before I eat it